Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2013, 06:44 AM

13,255 posts, read 12,133,458 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
No it's about regulation. The fact is the #1 use for pot, by a landslide, is to get high. What needs to be done is to isolate the compounds in pot that people claim to have medicinal purposes and market those sans the ones that get you high. BUT, my guess is people won't want that because this is really about getting high.
Get over yourself. Seriously.

You for banning alcohol again too?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2013, 06:45 AM

9,879 posts, read 8,022,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
And again this would be just one of the many instances where the feds are full of s***!
Of course they are, but so is Congress. But I'm hoping that will soon change,
especially for the sake of Hemp - the economic saving grace for America

Contact your reps people...

Hemp Is Harmless, a Potential Economic Miracle, and Still Illegal in America, but the Tide Seems to Be Turning

Old 02-17-2013, 06:52 AM

Hemp could be one of the best things right now for our struggling economy. Legalization could be as well.

With the right PR we could have legalization/decriminalization in 3 years or less in most states.

Old 02-17-2013, 06:53 AM

68,330 posts, read 54,419,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
What diseases does pot cure? What symptoms does it treat that there are not already regulated drugs on the market to treat?

The fact is, that pot is used as a recreational drug far more than it is used medicinally. If that weren't so, it, probably would be legalized but it is so. What percentage of pot users use recreationally compared to for medical reasons?
There's a drug being marketed by BigPharma now intended to be taken when you wake up and can't get back to sleep, one of its stated possible side effects is swelling of the tongue that may be fatal.

The fact is marijuana is less likely to result in sleep hangover than most sleep medications and would be a much safer alternative.

The fact is the only reason BigPharma is allowed to market drugs which often have side effects worse than the conditions they're trying to cure is that BigPharma has a stronger ($$$$$) lobby than marijuana does.

Last edited by burdell; 02-17-2013 at 07:28 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 02-17-2013, 07:01 AM

14,683 posts, read 14,659,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
Hemp could be one of the best things right now for our struggling economy. Legalization could be as well.

With the right PR we could have legalization/decriminalization in 3 years or less in most states.
It's true, though...what we need is politically-motivated pot smokers (irony, I know )
Pro-legalization folks are slowly becoming the silent majority...if marijuana had half the lobbyist power of the NRA or the alcohol industry, this wouldn't even be an issue.

Old 02-17-2013, 07:05 AM

3,382 posts, read 8,652,730 times
This kills me. I love how people that want to smoke weed just love to push weed cure all, its like snake oil!

When I had cancer every pothead friend of mine gave me weed. I decided to research and see if it was worth doing. I mean smoking weed should be fun(i had smoked previously in my life). My conclusions between cancer mssage boards, reports, and my doctor.....

Don't do it. It may interfere with some of my drugs, it will through off the blood tests that were being used to track my tumor markers, which in turn makes prescribing chemotherapy doses a lot harder, and potentially would require the doc to error on the highside giving you more chemo then needed and uneccesarrily making you sick.

Also I don't k.ow how anyone can logically say inhaling the fumes of anything burning is not just "not harmful" but actually "good" for you. What other thing in the world does anyone agree breathing.g the fumes of it burning is "good" for you. A forest fire is natural.... But smokeinhalation is harmful.
Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

Old 02-17-2013, 07:05 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,554,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
Get over yourself. Seriously.

You for banning alcohol again too?
Get over myself???? Huh.. This isn't about me.

Yes, alchohol is legal but two wrongs don't make a right. By your logic, why not make herion legal? Or Meth? Think of all the cottage industry with meth labs in people's houses legal now. People could make all kinds of money. And kids, who cares if they're subjected to high parents and easy access to drugs. All that matters is having the legal right to get high....GET OVER YOURSELF! Your percieved right to get high does not override the rights of society. You don't need to get high. You don't need to drink either but having one legal drug doesn't mean we should legalize them all.

Pot is a serious issue because anyone can grow it. How do you keep a 13 year old from buying pot when it's legal to grow it in your back yard? We have enough problems with teens and drugs without making pot legal and why does it need to be legal? Do people really NEED to get high? What purpose does that serve for society? What is wrong with people that they fight this hard for the right to get high? We should be fighting for things that improve life not checking out by using drugs.

I see no benefit in making pot legal. I see a lot of risk of easy access if we do. Alcohol is bad enough. We don't need to add pot to the list.

Old 02-17-2013, 07:12 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,554,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangEater82 View Post
This kills me. I love how people that want to smoke weed just love to push weed cure all, its like snake oil!

When I had cancer every pothead friend of mine gave me weed. I decided to research and see if it was worth doing. I mean smoking weed should be fun(i had smoked previously in my life). My conclusions between cancer mssage boards, reports, and my doctor.....

Don't do it. It may interfere with some of my drugs, it will through off the blood tests that were being used to track my tumor markers, which in turn makes prescribing chemotherapy doses a lot harder, and potentially would require the doc to error on the highside giving you more chemo then needed and uneccesarrily making you sick.

Also I don't k.ow how anyone can logically say inhaling the fumes of anything burning is not just "not harmful" but actually "good" for you. What other thing in the world does anyone agree breathing.g the fumes of it burning is "good" for you. A forest fire is natural.... But smokeinhalation is harmful.
IF pot really had medicinal purposes, some big drug company would have already isolated the compounds and would be marketing them. This is just a ruse to have the legal right to get high. IF there really are medicinal purposes, the thing to do is to push drug companies to isolate the beneficial compounds and market them to their target audience NOT legalize pot. As you have pointed out, you're inhaling lots of things when you smoke pot. You're getting the good with the bad. Drug companies can isoloate the good and leave out the bad. Perhaps even make a drug that has the benefits without the high...but the high is what this is all about isn't it? That's why they don't push for medical research on the compounds in pot. Just legalizing pot.

IMO, there is only one audience for which pot in its natural form should be legal for and that is those in Hospice. Heck give them any drug they want. There's nothing else we can do for them. For the rest, develop drugs that treat the specific symptom/disease in question, preferrably, without the high so decision making is not compromised and we don't have kids trying to get their hands on those drugs.

Old 02-17-2013, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
It's true, though...what we need is politically-motivated pot smokers (irony, I know )
Pro-legalization folks are slowly becoming the silent majority...if marijuana had half the lobbyist power of the NRA or the alcohol industry, this wouldn't even be an issue.
I started another thread (I'll bump it shortly) about legalization and 90% voted that marijuana and other soft drugs should be legalized.

90% !!!

Old 02-17-2013, 07:25 AM

68,330 posts, read 54,419,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangEater82 View Post
We have no problem allowing the growth, sale, and taxation of tobacco, good, bad, or indifferent. Why should marijuana be any different?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies