Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2011, 06:37 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,391,265 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchman01 View Post
Then, they too will become statistics.

source
Paul Cameron? LOL! You can't be serious.

He's a deregistered discredited psychologist who has made a career of anti-gay propaganda through his "hate" group "The Family Research Institute".
He is well known for misrepresenting studies about gay people and making up "junk science".

You really have to be desparate to link to anything by Paul Cameron.

Paul Cameron | Southern Poverty Law Center

Paul Cameron Bio and Fact Sheet

Paul Cameron - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2011, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Of course he has. The reality is politics "taints" scientific research. The nllfs is an organization that published a study of the children of lesbian couples. Their findings were that lebian mothers are better mothers than heterosexual women. They concluded the children of lesbians are better adjusted than those raised by heterosexuals. What's more they concluded there are no issues whatsoever with lesbian raised children even in divorce. Remarkable. It was also reported "as fact" without any questioning of the data.

No one ever questioned this organization, it's researchers, it's fundings, nothing. At one point they had the research paper open on their website. It's well they no longer allow that because I read the research. It was a crappy study. To call this study junk science is something of an understatement. The control groups weren't matched for either educational attainment, social class, or region of country.

None of this was questioned because the mainstream media has already made up it's "collective mind" so to speak.
Yep. You ARE desperate. LOL!

You presented an article based on a "study" by the notorious anti-gay crusader Paul Cameron and you expect to be taken seriously about your opinions on anything?

You don't seem to understand what "peer reviewed" means either. Studies that are published in peer reviewed journals get "questioned". That's kinda what peer reviewing is about.

Old 07-20-2011, 06:54 AM

Quote:
You won't find the study. They took it down. If I were them I'd have done the same thing. Even a moron like me could see thu the problems with that study, but strangely enough not for the reporters at cnn.

The reality is there are two internets. The free one we're on filled with junk and then there is the one that has all of those scientific studies you have to pay for. Pity.
The Journal "Pediatrics" is a very reputable peer-reviewed journal published by the American Academy of Pediatrics (over 60,000 doctors who are clinical Pediatricians)

Anything published in it is subject to peer review. I have read that study and it's methods were sound.

Your credibility has been completelyy shot down by presenting an article based on the religious anti-gay crusader Paul Cameron - who is a complete joke in the scientific community. Sorry, but if you think anything by Paul Cameron is legitimate, you clearly have no clue about scientific methods.

Old 07-20-2011, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rita Mordio View Post
I was actually referring to the study about homosexuality and lifespan. I've got the lesbian/household one.

The full study posted in the Pediatrics journal can be found here.

Not sure what you're talking about. See the above link for the full PDF on the lesbian household study. I can't seem to find the same for the homosexual/lifespan study.

"Cameron, Playfair, and Wellum (1994) counted obituaries in various gay community publications and claimed to be able to use them to calculate the average life expectancy for homosexuals."
Critique of "Obituary Study" by the Paul Cameron Group

LOL!

Old 07-20-2011, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Maybe you're an outlier but studies on sexual behavior have been pretty clear, male homosexuals are far more promiscuis than their straight counterparts. Although I suspect the availability of willing female partners depresses the straight male total more so than some kind of restraint on the man's part.
Actually no, they don't.

But, which "studies" are you referring to? More of Paul Cameron's junk science?

Old 07-20-2011, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
I know that most statistics concerning the "lifestyle" have been shutdown, I was able to find this article: Statistics on homosexuals - 1978 to 1994 and there are others. Since, facts about heterosexuality remain basically the same except for probably increasing partners and sexually transmitted diseases increasing, I don't see why the trend would not be the same for both or are we saying that "attributes" of the gay lifestyle have become more "honorable". Seriously, I don't think the majority of people understand the "lifestyle" choice or its "attributes" but only that there is a constant badgering of anyone who finds the homosexual "lifestyle" offensive, immoral and/or against the laws of nature. Frankly, I think that we try not to think about how many partners anyone has and that is not the major stumbling stone for those promoting the "lifestyle" choice, trust me on that one! Another source of information would be: Homosexuality and Mental Health Problems and I am interested in reading studies that show these articles to be incorrect.
So you go to religious based anti-gay propaganda site like NARTH for your infornation on gay people? They also believe in "praying away the gay".

That's like going to the KKK for info on black people.

Please. Check the validity of your sources first.

Old 07-20-2011, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maja View Post
I don't know. Maybe this.

"A new sex survey shows that San Francisco’s residents take the cake, and the dancer hiding inside of it, when it comes to the average number of sex partners per capita, the San Francisco Chronicle reported on July 5."

"According to the Trojan U.S. Sex Census, the average San Francisco resident has had sex with 30 other people over the course of their sexually active years."

Sex Census: San Francisco Residents #1 in Sexual Partners :: EDGE Miami
What does this have to do with gay people?

Or do you think everyone in San Fran is gay?

Old 07-20-2011, 07:26 AM

4,428 posts, read 4,483,743 times
Why all the homosexual threads?

Old 07-20-2011, 08:34 AM

3,388 posts, read 3,905,515 times
To answer the OP: I think it's because it is easier for people to stereotype than to actually get to know particular individuals. There are promiscuous gay folks just like there are promiscuous hetero folks and there are monogamous gay folks just like there are monogamous hetero folks. I would venture a guess that those who believe this (or any other) stereotype don't know a wide variety of gay (in this case) folks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies