Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2011, 12:26 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0tmess View Post
ABSOLUTELY F'N AGREE!!!!
Our budget was getting tight, so we got rid of our cable.
Meanwhile, others who all happen to be "VICTIMS" get to have it.. while their needs get taken care of.

It's so amazing that these people just don't see the difference between the 2 sets of people.
Well with only 51% of the people paying taxes and that percentage decreasing each year it's just going to be a matter of time before this all blows up and those poor "victims" will be rioting in the streets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2011, 09:47 PM

3,022 posts, read 2,274,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruxan View Post
dang no pc ,cell phone.. whats this country turning into
It is turning into a country where people will want the poor to have less and less until they become just like the poor in third world countries. People will not be satisfied until our poor are as poor and uncomfortable as possible. It just evil and hateful. We live in one of the richest nations in the world. There is no reason that our poor can not have a decent life. People complain about the poor have luxuries but never seem to complain about the rich and all the unnecessary luxuries they have. It is okay for the rich to have 5 cars, a plane, a yacht yet all people complain about is the poor wanting to have a/c. I guess it is because people think that they should glorify the rich because the rich can help them and the poor can't. It is also that they want to think that they could never be poor so they demonize the poor.

Old 08-01-2011, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Internet service is an ongoing expense as is cableTV.
If you suddenly become poor overnight usually some luxuries are cut.
I can see keeping internet service but not cableTV.

Heck I gave up mine because it was over $70/month and with food costs rising it was denting my budget so I had to cut something.
And I could not get anything else because I'm outside the city limits and can only get DirecTV. Not every city in the US has choice..some have nothing and some are limited to one provider.

Glad to see though that the moderate poor DESERVE all these things while the working stiffs cut back to keep within their budgets.
The report never said if giving up things like a/c and cable TV would get the poor out of poverty. The poor are not poor because they have a TV and internet access. I mean if you really think $30-40 is really the only reason someone is poor you are ignorant. This is just an excuse to find another way to blame the poor for their situation so you do not have to care or do anything to help They are poor because they do not make enough money to overcome the poverty.

Old 08-02-2011, 06:10 AM

5,660 posts, read 5,089,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt1984 View Post
It is turning into a country where people will want the poor to have less and less until they become just like the poor in third world countries. People will not be satisfied until our poor are as poor and uncomfortable as possible. It just evil and hateful. We live in one of the richest nations in the world. There is no reason that our poor can not have a decent life. People complain about the poor have luxuries but never seem to complain about the rich and all the unnecessary luxuries they have. It is okay for the rich to have 5 cars, a plane, a yacht yet all people complain about is the poor wanting to have a/c. I guess it is because people think that they should glorify the rich because the rich can help them and the poor can't. It is also that they want to think that they could never be poor so they demonize the poor.
It's not a case of wanting to push the poor down, it's just that those who have worked hard to succeed are tired of lifting up those who refuse to help themselves - often generation after generation. And wants and needs are no longer differentiated. Sure, everyone 'wants' the latest toys and technologies, either because it's cool or because it makes life easier in some way. In the latter case, does it automatically mean than those at the top of the food chain are in some way obligated to feed such things down to those at the bottom? Is a cell phone a necessity? Is AC a necessity? Is cable/satellite TV a necessity? Is a computer a necessity? I grew up without any of those and managed to survive quite well. I have relatives living in Eastern Europe that still live without any of those. (Last time we talked, it was over 90 degrees in their apartment in the evening. And yes, we do send money but realize we're not going to change the world there and can only do so much.)

Growing up poor motivated me to work hard to have a better life. And what is an "unecessary luxury" when it's paid for by the person who's enjoying it? I have a new Lexus in the garage. Should I give it up and drive a Hyundai so that a family without a car can also have a Hyundai? I waited until I could afford a child to have one. What about the 22 y.o. in the inner city who has 5 kids by 5 different guys? Shall I donate my child's college fund to her to feed her kids?

Where does personal responsibility fit into your world?

Old 08-02-2011, 07:20 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,873,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
I don't believe it does when discussing the 'poor'...if anything I think the people who think the same way as the poster you are responding to actually are part of the problem....

Old 08-02-2011, 07:47 AM

2,083 posts, read 1,621,084 times
Quote:
People complain about the poor have luxuries but never seem to complain about the rich and all the unnecessary luxuries they have. It is okay for the rich to have 5 cars, a plane, a yacht yet all people complain about is the poor wanting to have a/c.
Why should we complain about the rich buying luxuries with money they most likely worked very hard to earn? Of course there are the trust-fund kids and others who inherit their wealth, but the vast majority of millionaires in this country were not born into wealth. They earned it through hard work and entrepreneurship. They also spend a great deal of money and often employ a large number of people. Why are people who've worked hard to create a successful career or business that contribute to the well-being of others vilified by those who hate that they've achieved success?

I do not disparage the poor who are working hard to try to provide a better life for themselves, rather I have a great deal of respect for them; our ire is focused on those who work as little as possible (if at all), abuse the system and still manage to enjoy luxuries they do not deserve.

Old 08-02-2011, 07:57 AM

Genuine compassion is when you reach into your own pockets to help out the less fortunate. Reaching into other people’s pockets and forcing them to pay for compulsory government programs is false philanthropy and should not be considered noble.

Read that elsewhere at it is quite appropriate to this discussion....

Old 08-02-2011, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
It's not a case of wanting to push the poor down, it's just that those who have worked hard to succeed are tired of lifting up those who refuse to help themselves - often generation after generation. And wants and needs are no longer differentiated. Sure, everyone 'wants' the latest toys and technologies, either because it's cool or because it makes life easier in some way. In the latter case, does it automatically mean than those at the top of the food chain are in some way obligated to feed such things down to those at the bottom? Is a cell phone a necessity? Is AC a necessity? Is cable/satellite TV a necessity? Is a computer a necessity? I grew up without any of those and managed to survive quite well. I have relatives living in Eastern Europe that still live without any of those. (Last time we talked, it was over 90 degrees in their apartment in the evening. And yes, we do send money but realize we're not going to change the world there and can only do so much.)

Growing up poor motivated me to work hard to have a better life. And what is an "unecessary luxury" when it's paid for by the person who's enjoying it? I have a new Lexus in the garage. Should I give it up and drive a Hyundai so that a family without a car can also have a Hyundai? I waited until I could afford a child to have one. What about the 22 y.o. in the inner city who has 5 kids by 5 different guys? Shall I donate my child's college fund to her to feed her kids?

Some poor do not want to help themselves but many do. They just do not have the smarts or resources to do it. How are you lifting the poor up? Are you volunteering at a soup kitchen, are you giving money to charity? Many of these so called hard working people give nothing to help but still complain about the poor. Cell phones are extremely useful in case you are out somewhere and need the police or medical help. I wonder how many peoples lives have been saved because they had a cell phone and were able to call for help. Think about if you see an accident at the side of the road. Without a cell phone you would have to wait for the police to drive by and lose valuable time that may be the difference between life and death. If you think a/c is a luxury why don't you try to not have a/c in up 90's lower 100's temperatures. Europe does not get as hot in the summer as many places in the US like Arizona and the south. Even without a/c you are still using electricity because you be using fans to cool down. No TV and computers are not luxuries but many of them you can get cheap and they are only one time purchases. Like I said before you can get cable from Direct TV for only $24 a month. People are not poor because they have a TV and a/c but people want us to think that so they can blame the poor for their problems.

Old 08-02-2011, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vejadu View Post
Why should we complain about the rich buying luxuries with money they most likely worked very hard to earn? Of course there are the trust-fund kids and others who inherit their wealth, but the vast majority of millionaires in this country were not born into wealth. They earned it through hard work and entrepreneurship. They also spend a great deal of money and often employ a large number of people. Why are people who've worked hard to create a successful career or business that contribute to the well-being of others vilified by those who hate that they've achieved success?

I do not disparage the poor who are working hard to try to provide a better life for themselves, rather I have a great deal of respect for them; our ire is focused on those who work as little as possible (if at all), abuse the system and still manage to enjoy luxuries they do not deserve.
The poor worked very hard for the money they have to what right do we have to tell them how to spend their money? Just because the rich have more money to spend does not mean they are spending it wisely yet we give them a pass because they are rich but we condemn the poor when they buy something extra. It is a double standard. The rich can buy a luxury item that is totally unnecessary and totally unresponsive to buy but we say its okay because they have so much money yet we criticize the poor for buying a few luxuries.

Old 08-02-2011, 01:26 PM

Quote:
The poor worked very hard for the money they have to what right do we have to tell them how to spend their money? Just because the rich have more money to spend does not mean they are spending it wisely yet we give them a pass because they are rich but we condemn the poor when they buy something extra. It is a double standard. The rich can buy a luxury item that is totally unnecessary and totally unresponsive to buy but we say its okay because they have so much money yet we criticize the poor for buying a few luxuries.
As long as those 'poor' aren't taking money from others through the various welfare programs,they are free to do whatever they want....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies