Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2011, 02:16 PM

3,083 posts, read 4,013,724 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwm1964 View Post
You don't like what I say, tough darts. I have a right to my opinions which I don't mis-state as facts and to state them publicly whether that offends you or not. At least at this point I still have a right to say them on a public forum although you're right, to speak my mind in the physical presence of an officer is to risk arrest or worse.

Speaking as an older, white, former LAPD officer I've got to say your claims reveal an overwhelming anti-cop bias.

Those are your words, the only thing I inferred is that you were retired, which technically, if you quit the LAPD, you are retired from the LAPD. Which again, in my opinion give you zero credence as an expert on civil rights and the judicious use of force by an officer.

I've been lied about by police officers and had police officers hold their hands on their guns as they approach my car for routine traffic stops. I've had a cop who stank of booze and cologne pull me over. These are the extent of my unpleasant experiences because I'm smart enough to say "yes sir", "no sir" and put up with their arrogant posturing. In these instances I'm also lucky enough to look more like my father (white) than my mother (Mexican).

Anyone can do a simple search on google with the words "police brutality" and not just read other words but see video after video of police murdering and maiming citizens of this country. Yes, this makes me angry, you want to call me a liar, do the search yourself, although I'm sure you can explain away their actions with your LAPD experience.

Now states are trying to implement laws prohibiting law abiding citizens from taping them while on duty. Why is that necessary if they have nothing to hide? Police are the ones who initially implemented dashboard cams so I guess video is only good if they control access.
What you're apparently unable to understand and unwilling to accept is that I'm not attempting to defend or explain the actions of corrupt or abusive cops. In point of fact had you taken the time to actually read my posts rather than immediately opting to attack you'd have seen I was condemning the actions of the officer highlighted in the OP. Additionally, I was offering an opinion based on my personal perspective. That perspective was formed as a result of having observed the issues from both sides of the badge.

The fact that you personally find my having been a cop an action deserving of your condemnation and contempt means little if anything to me. I'm as entitled to hold and express an opinion as you are. You're certainly entitled to disagree with that opinion but by opting to turn this into a personal issue by disputing my integrity based on little other than your own personal bias you've diminished the credibility of your own argument.

I've wasted all the time I'm willing to waste disputing this with you. There is little if anything to be gained from arguing with an unthinking bigot. Enjoy your hate.

Last edited by outbacknv; 07-24-2011 at 02:28 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2011, 04:08 PM

954 posts, read 1,281,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowincal11 View Post
That doesn't matter. A police officer, as part of his job, is supposed to defuse a situation, not escalate it. That's why they go thru months and months of training.

They simply don't diffuse a situation. NVPlumber provided a good example of a personal story.

Why should an officer be allowed to scream at you and try to escalate a situation just so they can use a taser or make an arrest?

That's the problem with a lot of cops. They think that they are above the law and they do society a favor by being hard nosed pricks. Truth of the matter is, they don't. Neighbors don't like to see heavy handed action by police. It doesn't make the police look "cool" either.
Who said an officer was allowed to? But until I get both sides of the story, personal opinions will mean very little.

In my job, I have come to learn that very rarely does anyone tell the whole story (and they certainly don't tell an unbiased story).

Once again, anecdotal evidence is useless, don't think anyone will be convinced by your opinion alone.

Old 07-24-2011, 04:10 PM

1,800 posts, read 3,916,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nr5667 View Post
Who said an officer was allowed to? But until I get both sides of the story, personal opinions will mean very little.

In my job, I have come to learn that very rarely does anyone tell the whole story (and they certainly don't tell an unbiased story).

Once again, anecdotal evidence is useless, don't think anyone will be convinced by your opinion alone.
Considering this is an internet forum, unless you go to NvPlumber's little town and find the deputy that confronted him, that isn't going to be possible.

Likewise, the reason I don't belittle your claims of virtually 100% positive interactions with police by law abiding members of society versus mostly non positive from none law abiding members is because there's no way I can really prove to the contrary.

Old 07-24-2011, 04:29 PM

3,807 posts, read 4,279,342 times
Quote:
Absolutely incorrect. We have freedom of speech in this country. You clearly don't understand that concept. You can't be arrested simply because you verball disagree with the course of action of law enforcement. Again, we aren't Russia. You might want to check the latest Supreme Court jurisprudence on the matter.

Yet, I bet if you were accused of something that you may not have actually done and asked questions regarding that alleged offense which the cop responded you would be charged with DC, you would be the first person to change your opinion.
Your first and this post is BS. You've NEVER had a police officer, in California, threaten to arrest you for "disorderly conduct." it doesn't exist in California.

Try again.

Old 07-24-2011, 05:14 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,878,020 times
Quote:
I think the LAPD had few friends prior to me getting a citation for a traffic offense.

Mark Fuhrman was a real winner...not!
mark fuhrman was wrongly accused of being racist by a defense team trying to obfuscate the evidence against simpson. they did the same thing to the rest of the prosecution witnesses, not necessarily calling them racist, but calling them incompetent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by outbacknv View Post

Officers engaging in effective police work are unlikely to ever win any popularity contests. That should come as little surprise given the nature of the work. That said, treating an officer with the level of respect you wish to receive will more often than not result in your being treated the same way.
i have found this to be about 98% true across the country.

Quote:
Back on topic, the officer in the OP's video should not be wearing a badge.
absolutely!

Quote:
I'm not some thug from a bad neighborhood. In fact, I have a graduate degree.

When a police officer stops me for a minor traffic violation (not even a mover), I don't need to be screamed at. When I ask for the basis of the stop, I don't need to be told to not question his authority. When I repeat my question, I don't need to be told that I need to keep my mouth shut. Then I don't need a 10 minute lecture how I need to respect the law, etc, etc. or I will face more consequences.

This seems to be a recurring theme throughout Los Angeles whether it's a bad neighborhood or the Valley.

I've seen people be as polite as possible only to be screamed at and yelled at by police officers. Police officers should be the ones to calm a situation, not escalate. Frankly, I believe the reason they do the opposite is to provoke a confrontation so they can take out their aggressions on regular citizens.
when you are stopped by an LEO, do you fidget in the car as they come to the window? are your hands on the steering wheel with the window down? do you offer to shake the officers hand as a sign of friendship? do you politely ask the officer if you can ask them a question? and when you ask the question are you indignant about being stopped? or are you truly trying to get information?

the key to a positive experience with an LEO is respecting the officer, and your attitude towards the LEO. if you are angry, and take it out on the cop, then you will be treated in the same manner. on the other hand if you are truly polite, and respectful, you will more than likely be treated in the same polite manner.

are there LEOs that are power crazy? yes there are, but as i have said, i have dealt with LEOs in 27 states, and they run the gamut from city, to county, to state, to federal, big city and small town alike, and i have had but two problems with cops in 36 years of driving.

Old 07-24-2011, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil306 View Post
Your first and this post is BS. You've NEVER had a police officer, in California, threaten to arrest you for "disorderly conduct." it doesn't exist in California.

Try again.
Try again. Penal Code section 647.

Old 07-24-2011, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Considering this is an internet forum, unless you go to NvPlumber's little town and find the deputy that confronted him, that isn't going to be possible.

Likewise, the reason I don't belittle your claims of virtually 100% positive interactions with police by law abiding members of society versus mostly non positive from none law abiding members is because there's no way I can really prove to the contrary.
Exactly my point - it's all useless.

Old 07-24-2011, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
mark fuhrman was wrongly accused of being racist by a defense team trying to obfuscate the evidence against simpson. they did the same thing to the rest of the prosecution witnesses, not necessarily calling them racist, but calling them incompetent.

i have found this to be about 98% true across the country.

absolutely!

when you are stopped by an LEO, do you fidget in the car as they come to the window? are your hands on the steering wheel with the window down? do you offer to shake the officers hand as a sign of friendship? do you politely ask the officer if you can ask them a question? and when you ask the question are you indignant about being stopped? or are you truly trying to get information?

the key to a positive experience with an LEO is respecting the officer, and your attitude towards the LEO. if you are angry, and take it out on the cop, then you will be treated in the same manner. on the other hand if you are truly polite, and respectful, you will more than likely be treated in the same polite manner.

are there LEOs that are power crazy? yes there are, but as i have said, i have dealt with LEOs in 27 states, and they run the gamut from city, to county, to state, to federal, big city and small town alike, and i have had but two problems with cops in 36 years of driving.
If you honestly believe Mark Fuhrman didn't have racist tendencies, I can't take the rest of your post seriously.

I don't have to ask the officer if I can ask a question. I have that right. I wanted information.

Sorry, but the nature of their work should allow them to understand that most people will be angry when stopped by police. This isn't new to them.

Old 07-24-2011, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Try again. Penal Code section 647.
I found nothing under 647 that would allow a police officer to arrest someone for disorderly conduct simply for arguing with the police officer. Could you point it out, please?

Quote:
If you honestly believe Mark Fuhrman didn't have racist tendencies, I can't take the rest of your post seriously.

I don't have to ask the officer if I can ask a question. I have that right. I wanted information.

Sorry, but the nature of their work should allow them to understand that most people will be angry when stopped by police. This isn't new to them.
Most people? Are you sure you aren't projecting?

Old 07-24-2011, 05:38 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,878,020 times
Quote:
i never said that fuhrman did not have racist tendencies, everyone has those, what i am saying is that he was wrongly portrayed as a racist cop.

Quote:
yes you do have that right, but it is all in how you ask for the information. if you demand it, you are showing disrespect for the cop, and they are going to treat you in a similar manner. on the other hand if you politely ask for the information, then you are more likely to get the information you seek when you want it. the cop has to give you a reason for pulling you over anyway. he is going to ask you questions to see if you know why he might be pulling you over, let them do their investigation their way and be cool about it.

Quote:
this is true, but when you take that anger out on the cop who is just doing their job, then you get the same lack of respect back. treat the LEO like you want to be treated and chances are you will have a more positive experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies