Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2011, 11:25 AM

8,806 posts, read 6,114,806 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
And if your parents refuse to help? My parents all but kicked me out after high school (I had turned 18 a few months prior to graduating) so I had to support myself while figuring out my college stuff. It took me a few years, but I finally got my life on track. I didn't have a choice but to work full time because I require medical insurance for a genetic disorder I have, which made school even more difficult. Not everyone has the luxury of being supported by their parents during college. Without the grants, there is no way I would have been able to make it.
My brother was in the same situation, told my brother to plan to move out when he turned 18 (December of the year after he graduated high school...he worked the whole time in between so he could support himself after moving out).

Now 9 years later, he's about to graduate with an engineering degree. Started at a community college b/c it was cheaper, then transferred to UF. He has worked full time (2 jobs for most of college). He has grants and loans both. He usually takes summers off from school and works his butt off (he's a salesman so his financial success is directly related to how much effort he puts in).

His degree will get him a job that pays more than enough to get his loans paid off, so for him, it's a good investment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2011, 11:26 AM

20,054 posts, read 18,291,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
My brother was in the same situation, told my brother to plan to move out when he turned 18 (December of the year after he graduated high school...he worked the whole time in between so he could support himself after moving out).

Now 9 years later, he's about to graduate with an engineering degree. Started at a community college b/c it was cheaper, then transferred to UF. He has worked full time (2 jobs for most of college). He has grants and loans both. He usually takes summers off from school and works his butt off (he's a salesman so his financial success is directly related to how much effort he puts in).

His degree will get him a job that pays more than enough to get his loans paid off, so for him, it's a good investment.
But your brother has the RIGHT to frat parties and dorm sex.

Old 08-02-2011, 11:27 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,638,087 times
Quote:
If 75% of scholarships are need-based, the poor qualify.

The "typical student" may not be poor, and they are only getting 5% of outside scholarships that do not require "need." The other 95%, according to your excerpt, are need-based...and the poor would qualify.

I think you're shooting yourself in the foot here.
Ah, but there is always someone 'poorer' than you. I didn't qualify for the majority of the need based scholarships because I held a full time job, even though it was barely enough to pay my rent. No, I didn't have a fancy cell phone, Internet or cable, before you accuse me of spending on frivolous things. They also take into account your parents income, and while my parents refused to help me, their income usually disqualified me.

Old 08-02-2011, 11:27 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,894,387 times
They can do it thru scholarships on merit or doing as many vets do by servicing their country.they need to realise that the days of free stuff is gone with the huge deficit.

Old 08-02-2011, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
But your brother has the RIGHT to frat parties and dorm sex.
LOL Sure he does, but he doesn't do any of that stuff. To him, "partying" means going out to karaoke and having a beer. He has his priorities straight.

Old 08-02-2011, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Ah, but there is always someone 'poorer' than you. I didn't qualify for the majority of the need based scholarships because I held a full time job, even though it was barely enough to pay my rent. No, I didn't have a fancy cell phone, Internet or cable, before you accuse me of spending on frivolous things. They also take into account your parents income, and while my parents refused to help me, their income usually disqualified me.
Same for my brother.

I'm not making any commentary about you here, just saying that despite whatever circumstances we're presented with, people without a lot of money CAN and DO get a college education without expecting handouts.

Old 08-02-2011, 11:32 AM

20,054 posts, read 18,291,205 times
Quote:
Same for my brother.

I'm not making any commentary about you here, just saying that despite whatever circumstances we're presented with, people without a lot of money CAN and DO get a college education without expecting handouts.
The problem with this sort of debate is that the pro-government folks will always try to make up an example of someone being poorer than your family or that "well, what about (hypothetical situation A)?"

Old 08-02-2011, 11:32 AM

10,854 posts, read 9,305,856 times
Quote:
And if your parents refuse to help? My parents all but kicked me out after high school (I had turned 18 a few months prior to graduating) so I had to support myself while figuring out my college stuff. It took me a few years, but I finally got my life on track. I didn't have a choice but to work full time because I require medical insurance for a genetic disorder I have, which made school even more difficult. Not everyone has the luxury of being supported by their parents during college. Without the grants, there is no way I would have been able to make it.
Absolutely true. I can't believe the people in this country that want to deny people the opportunity to create a better life for themselves.

The reality of situation is in this day and age even before the recession without a college education you employment opporutnities were limited at best In addition to the problems associated with the recession American workers have to compete with educated workers around the world.

Conservatives are always compalining about not enough people paying taxes and people being social burderns. Well it's proven that over the course of the life of a college graduate they going to earn more money and they are much less likely to be social burdens than people that don't go to college. Giviing somebody money to go to college is an investment that has more long term social benefits than liabilities.

This is the only country in the world where people complain about giving somebody $5,000 to $10,000 a year for a college education but won't complain about spending $20,000 a year to incarcerate somebody.

Old 08-02-2011, 11:34 AM

17,401 posts, read 11,982,916 times
Quote:
My parents sat me down and told me there would be no help for college. There just wasn't any money to be had. No scholarship for this white girl, so I - gasp - supported myself while I slowly got an education.

You're correct. Not everyone is supported by their parents with regards to an education. But not everyone has to suck off the govt teat, either.

Old 08-02-2011, 11:37 AM

1,800 posts, read 3,914,563 times
Quote:
I never said that once. Stop with the talking points, it's so predictable.Why shouldn't someone have to fork over 100% of the cost of education?? That's a ridiculous statement. The poor have every right that the middle and upper classes have. Everyone has to pay their way through school, why should the poor be an exception?
No sugar coating is necessary. I don't support most social welfare programs b/c I think people should earn their keep. There's nothing wrong with that. Again, if someone has the desire to go to college, it's up to them to figure out the financing, not the taxpayer.

If the poor can't afford something, they shouldn't have it. That's how it goes. If they have the drive to do something and improve their lot in life, they will work for it, just like any middle class person would. The wealthy are NOT the only people who go to college, in case you haven't noticed.

Honestly, this entire argument is just liberal hyperbole. The entitlement in this country, especially on this forum, is sickening.
85% of medical students need student loans to become doctors. So what you are saying is that we should only have 15% of the doctors we have now. Talk about increased healthcare costs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies