Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2011, 12:00 AM

8,806 posts, read 6,114,806 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Air Force View Post
$20k for 4 years with a degree having 120 or so hours INCLUDING books? No, not a chance.
I'm living proof of it. My $5k student loan went for my last year of college. That was 14 credits one semester and 15 the next. That paid all of tuition and fees plus books, plus I got a refund check both semesters for like $700. So, it's less than $20k actually. Note that I was taking mostly online classes, which entail an extra fee per credit hour, and also taking classes that had lab fees. Like I said, I don't know what schools y'all are going to but getting a 4 year education for about $20k is definitely doable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2011, 12:12 AM

37,138 posts, read 42,234,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
I'm living proof of it. My $5k student loan went for my last year of college. That was 14 credits one semester and 15 the next. That paid all of tuition and fees plus books, plus I got a refund check both semesters for like $700. So, it's less than $20k actually. Note that I was taking mostly online classes, which entail an extra fee per credit hour, and also taking classes that had lab fees. Like I said, I don't know what schools y'all are going to but getting a 4 year education for about $20k is definitely doable.
$20K, or close to it, is possible at some of the State schools in CA. Living at home helps a lot!! But not everyone lives near a college or can get the degree they want at the college within driving distance of them. And online degrees...well, limited to say the least. It's "doable" but not "reasonable" for everyone who may want to study something that you need to be there in person for. I'm also not buying that it takes $80K to get a degree either...that would be crazy IMO. However, some courses of study that require more than 4 years of undergrad will run up that high or higher.

Let me say again, just because "I did it" does NOT translate into "anyone can do it". I've done a lot of things that, for whatever reason, fell into my lap or was made available for me. I also have't had the breaks or luck or availability of some things that others have. I don't think anyone else will have my experiences and wouldn't complain about people who didn't have the same set up in life that I did.

Old 08-03-2011, 01:06 AM

8,806 posts, read 6,114,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
$20K, or close to it, is possible at some of the State schools in CA. Living at home helps a lot!! But not everyone lives near a college or can get the degree they want at the college within driving distance of them. And online degrees...well, limited to say the least. It's "doable" but not "reasonable" for everyone who may want to study something that you need to be there in person for. I'm also not buying that it takes $80K to get a degree either...that would be crazy IMO. However, some courses of study that require more than 4 years of undergrad will run up that high or higher.

Let me say again, just because "I did it" does NOT translate into "anyone can do it". I've done a lot of things that, for whatever reason, fell into my lap or was made available for me. I also have't had the breaks or luck or availability of some things that others have. I don't think anyone else will have my experiences and wouldn't complain about people who didn't have the same set up in life that I did.
My degree was not from an online college, it was from University of Central Florida. They had a satellite campus at the CC in the town I lived in but most of the classes I needed were offered online. The online colleges I have seen, though, charge out the @ss for credits, just like a private school, so $80k might even be reasonable. But nobody needs to pay that much for college if they are poor anyway, so it doesn't even matter to this discussion. Anyway, there are more and more programs being offered online through public schools like UCF, so having access to a campus close to home is not as necessary as it once was.

I do realize that just b/c I did it doesn't mean anyone and everyone can do it. But people here are simply refusing to see the possibilities. I have offered SO MANY on this thread and I keep being told I hate poor people, I want to take away their right/opportunity/access to education, I'm somehow well off (I'm not, at all, never was and probably never will be) or that I was privileged growing up. That's really obnoxious.

The way I see it, if someone wants something bad enough, they will work for it and earn it. There is no need to hand people anything.

Old 08-03-2011, 04:54 AM

2,793 posts, read 6,125,245 times
The problem with the system nowadays is that ANYBODY can get into college simply by having a pulse and the willingness to sign up for lifelong debt. College is too accessible today and as a result is driving the cost up exponentially.

Old 08-03-2011, 06:12 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,519,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zz4guy View Post
The problem with the system nowadays is that ANYBODY can get into college simply by having a pulse and the willingness to sign up for lifelong debt. College is too accessible today and as a result is driving the cost up exponentially.
And many are going there unprepared and have to take remedial Math and English..courses that do not count towards your degree yet have to be paid for.

This article goes back to 2008 and it's only gotten worse since.
The 2008 article states 33%. A 2011 article has bumped it up to 50%.
See how well NCLB is working ?

Colleges spend billions on remedial classes to prep freshmen - USATODAY.com
In fact, a new study calculates, one-third of American college students have to enroll in remedial classes. The bill to colleges and taxpayers for trying to bring them up to speed on material they were supposed to learn in high school comes to between $2.3 billion and $2.9 billion annually.

Ed Department: Half of community college students need remedial classes | eCampus News
ED released the report to coincide with the symposium that said as much as 60 percent of incoming community college students enroll “in at least one developmental education course to bring their reading, writing, and mathematics skills up to college level.â€

Old 08-03-2011, 06:37 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,519,093 times
Quote:
I'm talking Dr's, Lawyers, etc. Not a position you can work your way up to from the mail room. I know there are executives who have done that, but it's not what I was talking about. There are just some instances where there is no substitute for an education.
Do you realize how ridiculous that sounds? You are talking about not just an education, but a PRESTIGIOUS, ELITE education. I didn't have the money for medical school and neither did my family. So I didn't go to medical school. HELLO!

If someone is outstandingly talented and has outta sight scores, someone will give them a scholarship (if the person applies for scholarships - one has to do the work). But to say that folks who can't afford the most expensive of educations are somehow being discriminated against is a JOKE! Even well-heeled families cannot typically afford that type of education for their son or daughter, and even if they could get student loans - how many people find it reasonable to get out of school and owe $150K in student loans???

Did you realize the average attorney makes less than $60K a year???? Not much of a return on that expensive education.

We have junior colleges (community colleges) all over our state. Folks can get an associate's degree and then transfer to a state university, at a very reasonable cost. If someone wants an education badly, they can figure out how to make that happen, with or without scholarships, grants and loans.

Old 08-03-2011, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Air Force View Post
$20k for 4 years with a degree having 120 or so hours INCLUDING books? No, not a chance.
Absolutely. You can do that - at least in my state. And I should know - hubby and I have put 5 kids through college, plus we put ourselves thru undergrad and grad school - and hubby also has a doctorate.

BTW - we are still paying for the loans on hubby's doctorate. Going to a "prestigious" school was important in his field, but let me tell ya . . . unless you are in a field where that matters, getting out of school with over $100K in student loans is a really difficult financial situation. I would never recommend for anyone to do it - unless they are getting an advanced degree after already having their career established and knowing that they will have the ability to pay that money back w/o causing austerity for themselves and their family.

Old 08-03-2011, 06:44 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,519,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post

We have junior colleges (community colleges) all over our state. Folks can get an associate's degree and then transfer to a state university, at a very reasonable cost. If someone wants an education badly, they can figure out how to make that happen, with or without scholarships, grants and loans.
But do you realize the poor are 100% totally helpless and cannot do any of that themselves. They DESERVE all the grant money they can get because, well because society OWES them that because they are poor.

They shouldn't have to work, they shouldn't have to be creative, they shouldn't take advantage of other programs (military) that will earn them money for college.

They should just be given taxpayer money and allowed to go to the school of their choice and study for the occupation of their choice regardless.
Society OWES them don't you see.

This is how the liberals view this IMO. The helpless poor cannot do it by themselves; they have to have government taxpayer support.

Old 08-03-2011, 06:45 AM

27,156 posts, read 15,330,669 times
"How Can Poor People Get College Funding Without Pell Grants?"

A job......if there were any.

Old 08-03-2011, 06:46 AM

Quote:
It's not rediculous to point out that people with little money can't buy expensive things. College is expensive.
It is not dauntingly, impossibly expensive unless you are being totally unrealistic and shooting for Boston University or Yale or Princeton, etc!!!

There are many ways to get a good solid education. My youngest son got an AA degree, was able to work while helping pay for his undergrad degree BS). Now he is working fulltime and getting ready to start on his MA.

It is called PLANNING and SACRIFICE.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies