Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2011, 07:53 PM

2,046 posts, read 1,575,262 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
If the government defaults, many students would have to leave school because the government would stop giving loans and grants. Do Republicans care?
yes we care, do you care if this country goes bankrupt. and not only there will not be money for school but no money for grandma, planparent hood, 99week unemployment, welfare. poor kids what will they do if they cant get a wefare check for food, do you care!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2011, 08:27 PM

5,365 posts, read 6,341,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
I hope you realize how ridiculous this sounds.

What do "the rich" have to do with the poor paying for college?

Just so you know, not everyone has a free ride through college, no matter who their parents are.

How many middle class folks have to "disable their lives" and go into debt to get through college?

Until you have some statistics, stop with the ridiculous assertions.

As an aside, it sounds like you have some jealousy issues to get past.
There are no jealousy issues on my side. I am only two classes away from finishing my bachelors degree and I am debt free.

But! Coming from a lower middle class background like I did, I didn't get pell grants or parental help with college. I did have a scholarship, but everything else still added up to a price tag of thousands. I had to find a way to get through it on my own. How did I do it?

I was tired of being broke working my minimum wage job at the campus, so at the end of my freshman year I got a job at a gay nightclub as an "entertainer". My income situation changed virtually overnight for the better. My poor mother though. Despite her liberal views even she was reduced to tears when she found out about my job description.

While working at the nightclub I met a man who was twice my age, but FILTHY rich. I decided to move in with him. He allowed me to live rent free. Not having rent to pay was a huge savings and it allowed me to pay for my tuition in cash with my own earnings as I made enough at the club to afford it.

If I wouldn't have slept my way into a new socio-economic class, then I either wouldn't have finished college, or I would be in $80,000 of debt.

As a tax payer, you don't want the government to give money to students to help them afford college, but would your opinion change if it was your daughter (or son, in my case) that ended up dancing on a pole nearly naked to pay for their education?

Would you advise America's youth to embrace the path that I took in college? It definitely keeps costs down, and you get all the perks. Its better than a Pell Grant I say. What do you think?

As a side note, i'll say that I don't regret my decisions at all. I was scared walking into that job for the first time, but I am so happy I did it. My co-workers nearly all came from unprivileged backgrounds, similar to me. And I actually learned so much about the real world working there. The man that I met there and who I still live with to this day has been the best thing that ever happened to me.

Old 08-02-2011, 08:42 PM

5,365 posts, read 6,341,250 times
Quote:
I hope you realize how ridiculous this sounds.

What do "the rich" have to do with the poor paying for college?

Just so you know, not everyone has a free ride through college, no matter who their parents are.

How many middle class folks have to "disable their lives" and go into debt to get through college?

Until you have some statistics, stop with the ridiculous assertions.

As an aside, it sounds like you have some jealousy issues to get past.
The rich have a lot of interest in making sure the poor have a way to access higher education. And we aren't talking about just handing the poor a check. We are talking about giving them a pathway to make their lives better. If the rich don't share their wealth, the poor will continue to be sabotaged by them. Such a system can only last for so long though before the poor revolt and take the riches wealth by force (something that has a tendency to happen).

I don't know the raw number of people who are disabled by college debt. It is not something I ask my friends about as debt is personal, but I know of at least two friends who have $80,000 dollars in debt, and my mother has about $40,000.

And your right about some kids having to pay for their college even though their parents are wealthy. From what I saw in my dorm though, that was not the norm. The overwhelming majority of my peers were upper middle class and had parental help with college. The ones who didn't (mostly minorities) had Pell Grants. Two of my Hispanic friends who were on Pell Grants Freshman year have now graduated. One is an engineer and the other is a teacher. They might not have maid it without those grants.

I'm not jealous of anyone. I didn't even want any help from my parents with college. Usually, when you receive parental help, the parents want to control your life. That is something I wanted no part of. When I moved out, I wanted 100% freedom from parental controls, which is something a lot of my peers didn't have.

I just get very defensive when I hear of people who are overwhelmingly privileged saying that they want to limit the poor's access to education. To me, hearing that is just one step above saying one supports serfdom. If one wants to cut government spending, the last thing they should cut is access to education.

Last edited by CravingMountains; 08-02-2011 at 08:57 PM..

Old 08-02-2011, 09:28 PM

2,154 posts, read 4,427,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneTraveler View Post
There are no jealousy issues on my side. I am only two classes away from finishing my bachelors degree and I am debt free.

But! Coming from a lower middle class background like I did, I didn't get pell grants or parental help with college. I did have a scholarship, but everything else still added up to a price tag of thousands. I had to find a way to get through it on my own. How did I do it?

I was tired of being broke working my minimum wage job at the campus, so at the end of my freshman year I got a job at a gay nightclub as an "entertainer". My income situation changed virtually overnight for the better. My poor mother though. Despite her liberal views even she was reduced to tears when she found out about my job description.

While working at the nightclub I met a man who was twice my age, but FILTHY rich. I decided to move in with him. He allowed me to live rent free. Not having rent to pay was a huge savings and it allowed me to pay for my tuition in cash with my own earnings as I made enough at the club to afford it.

If I wouldn't have slept my way into a new socio-economic class, then I either wouldn't have finished college, or I would be in $80,000 of debt.

As a tax payer, you don't want the government to give money to students to help them afford college, but would your opinion change if it was your daughter (or son, in my case) that ended up dancing on a pole nearly naked to pay for their education?

Would you advise America's youth to embrace the path that I took in college? It definitely keeps costs down, and you get all the perks. Its better than a Pell Grant I say. What do you think?

As a side note, i'll say that I don't regret my decisions at all. I was scared walking into that job for the first time, but I am so happy I did it. My co-workers nearly all came from unprivileged backgrounds, similar to me. And I actually learned so much about the real world working there. The man that I met there and who I still live with to this day has been the best thing that ever happened to me.

Boo freakin' hoo. Everyone has it rough

My father died when I was 8 leaving my mom with 5 kids to raise on her own. We were poor- so poor we couldn't even eat ketchup sandwiches because we never had enough ketchup.

But we didn't get hand outs and we still managed college- they have this thing called the military (which two out of the 5 kids choose that path- me included- another sibling worked 2 fulltime jobs while finishing high school and paid her own way through college and is now the head of the MRI department at the hospital she works at as she worked her way up starting as an xray tech)

Old 08-02-2011, 09:51 PM

37,138 posts, read 42,234,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zz4guy View Post
Says who? I work at a fortune 500 company and there are many people in the upper ranks who did not start with a bachelors. In fact most of them got their 2 year tech degree just to get their foot in the door of a career they were passionate about. Now later on many got their MBAs, but that is an entirely different endeavour.

If you have the drive, the determination and the ability an employer would be stupid not to hire you and let you go to their competition.
I'm talking Dr's, Lawyers, etc. Not a position you can work your way up to from the mail room. I know there are executives who have done that, but it's not what I was talking about. There are just some instances where there is no substitute for an education.

Old 08-02-2011, 10:39 PM

973 posts, read 2,142,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Wow. They might have to... wait for it... actually WORK their way through school like so many in the middle class already do.

Why do liberals think poor people should just be given everything, while others have to work for what they get? Serious question.
This. ^ ^

My family was lower middle class, but they saved & put me through college. Hubby came from a divorced family, & got no help & paid for all of his college himself, working, & eating lots of ramen noodles (when my Mom didn't tell him to eat at our house) . He is now working on his masters (a 'few' years later, but, better late than never) . Hubby's Dad didn't help w/ anything, & his Mom was lucky if she had enough $$$ to pay bills each mos, so, she tried to help when she could, but, she couldn't alot.

He got an entry level job at a company in '96, & worked his way up, actually caring about his job, actually working hard, & I am able to stay home w/ our kiddos, like my Mom did w/ me, & hubby wished his Mom had been able to w/ he & his sister. 15 years later, hubby still works hard & cares. He is the boss, & is hard when he has to be, but, he is so humble & caring.

Everyone is so entitled these days. =( When everything is given to you, it's hard to actually want to work for anything. Though, to be fair, college is alot more expensive today than it was when hubby & I started in the 90's. Though, we are paying for hubby's school now w/ no loans. We have no credit card debt, & we plan to keep it that way.

Old 08-02-2011, 10:51 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,810,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gysmo View Post
yes we care, do you care if this country goes bankrupt. and not only there will not be money for school but no money for grandma, planparent hood, 99week unemployment, welfare. poor kids what will they do if they cant get a wefare check for food, do you care!!!
If the RW did not use that as an excuse for cutting funding for everything they disapprove of, it might have more credibility.

Old 08-02-2011, 11:28 PM

8,806 posts, read 6,114,806 times
Quote:

1) I would not mooch off someone just to put myself through college. Even worse, what you're saying is you prostituted yourself to do it.

2) I don't know what kind of school you're going to, but an undergraduate degree does not cost $80k. It costs about $20k if you go to a public school and get in and out in four years without screwing off. Including books.

3) My child will be raised with morals that do not include getting on a pole or sleeping with someone for money. Sorry if that sounds mean, but that is not something I would ever condone, and my daughter, who is due at the end of the month, will never think this is okay behavior.

4) Being middle class is not "unprivileged."

SMH

Last edited by CaseyB; 08-03-2011 at 10:23 AM.. Reason: rude

Old 08-02-2011, 11:32 PM

8,806 posts, read 6,114,806 times
Quote:
The rich have a lot of interest in making sure the poor have a way to access higher education. And we aren't talking about just handing the poor a check. We are talking about giving them a pathway to make their lives better. If the rich don't share their wealth, the poor will continue to be sabotaged by them. Such a system can only last for so long though before the poor revolt and take the riches wealth by force (something that has a tendency to happen).

I don't know the raw number of people who are disabled by college debt. It is not something I ask my friends about as debt is personal, but I know of at least two friends who have $80,000 dollars in debt, and my mother has about $40,000.

And your right about some kids having to pay for their college even though their parents are wealthy. From what I saw in my dorm though, that was not the norm. The overwhelming majority of my peers were upper middle class and had parental help with college. The ones who didn't (mostly minorities) had Pell Grants. Two of my Hispanic friends who were on Pell Grants Freshman year have now graduated. One is an engineer and the other is a teacher. They might not have maid it without those grants.

I'm not jealous of anyone. I didn't even want any help from my parents with college. Usually, when you receive parental help, the parents want to control your life. That is something I wanted no part of. When I moved out, I wanted 100% freedom from parental controls, which is something a lot of my peers didn't have.

I just get very defensive when I hear of people who are overwhelmingly privileged saying that they want to limit the poor's access to education. To me, hearing that is just one step above saying one supports serfdom. If one wants to cut government spending, the last thing they should cut is access to education.
"The rich" absolutely have no responsibility to "share their wealth." We all have a stake in the future of America so I agree that education is a good thing, but at the same time, these people need to work their way up and earn what they have. I am not understanding how this is not a value that is widely held on the liberal side.

I have no idea why you would think I am "overwhelmingly privileged" just b/c I think someone needs to earn their own way. I earned my own way, too. It's not easy all the time but I'm proud of what I've accomplished.

It's not cutting access to education. It's handing someone a free ride. That is not the same as "access."

Old 08-02-2011, 11:35 PM

760 posts, read 685,898 times
Quote:
2) I don't know what kind of school you're going to, but an undergraduate degree does not cost $80k. It costs about $20k if you go to a public school and get in and out in four years without screwing off. Including books.
$20k for 4 years with a degree having 120 or so hours INCLUDING books? No, not a chance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies