Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2011, 09:29 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,469,142 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
2) Nobody is suggesting that people wait until things are perfect before they procreate. We are suggesting to not bring kids into poverty. If you make $15k/year working full time at a minimum wage job, you have NO business having kids.

Just curious: How come people who say that people with minimum wage jobs shouldn't procreate are the same people who want them to pay more taxes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2011, 12:23 PM

8,806 posts, read 6,113,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Just curious: How come people who say that people with minimum wage jobs shouldn't procreate are the same people who want them to pay more taxes?
Apples and oranges. If you want to deviate from the topic, start your own thread.

Old 08-20-2011, 01:23 PM

18,401 posts, read 19,027,378 times
Quote:
1) I'll sweep in front of someone's door if I'm paying their way. As a taxpayer, I do have a say in where my money is going.

2) Nobody is suggesting that people wait until things are perfect before they procreate. We are suggesting to not bring kids into poverty. If you make $15k/year working full time at a minimum wage job, you have NO business having kids.

no you really don't have any real say in where your tax dollar goes. we don't get to opt out of our tax dollars going to wars, or roads, or schools if we don't want them going there.

at what salary is it ok with you to have children? as was mentioned before people can have great paying jobs, have kids then lose the job.
many people who are "poor" make for better parents than people with tons of money. being a good parent is about parenting not money

Old 08-20-2011, 01:34 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,469,142 times
Quote:
Apples and oranges. If you want to deviate from the topic, start your own thread.

Done.

Old 08-22-2011, 08:54 AM

13,221 posts, read 12,324,953 times
The really strange thing about some of the assinine post is that these are the same people that are against abortion! I'm not advocating that this be use as form of birth control, but people you can't have it both ways. You are either going to let some of these women have abortions or you are have to pay for the unwanted children through taxes i.e prisons and various social programs. Sitting as a keyboard spook constantly complaining about stupid stuff and not offering or at least suggesting any viable solutions to the probelm is not going to get it.

"If your feet can't fit in someones else's shoes don't complain about the style that they wear" ------Simonism

Old 08-22-2011, 09:14 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,796,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
Okay. Now that we have that established and will note that this thread has turned away from "poor" people complaining to people being upset that people who can't afford children are getting assistance....

When you make that broad brush stroke that "well, you shouldn't complain since you were reckless or chose to have kids you couldn't afford" that a good number of people COULD afford kids when they had them. You would like to punish these people along with the deadbeats out there?

I, too, would like to see better control of the deadbeat breeders but in order to do that, you then punish those who really need help. There's no easy answer.

And to go back to the thread topic: do people REALLY feel that daycare costs are too high? I don't think those people get paid enough. But, yep, it does take a chunk of your income, for sure. I paid it on two kids until they were each about 13 years old.
You're darn straight the day care workers don't get paid enough. My daughter graduated from college in August 2009, in the depths of the recession. She took a job at a day care center a few months later, making $10/hr. She did get a little extra for having a college degree. Many of her co-workers also had degrees. For this princely sum, she changed diapers, got exposed to all sorts of diseases, some of which she got herself (Hand, Foot and Mouth and influenza [she was vaccinated against flu, but the constant exposure took its toll], constant colds, etc. She took a $500 course in early childhood ed to get a certification, and got a 40c/hr raise.

Old 08-22-2011, 09:29 AM

589 posts, read 757,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
Well someone has to breed burger flippers. Damn it!

Not anymore we dont. We have illegal aliens to do that job now.

Old 08-22-2011, 12:27 PM

11,449 posts, read 14,470,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostonian123 View Post
I have a simple solution. Don't have any kids.
Last time I checked most of the middle to upper middle class were also complaining about the same thing. Should they also quit having children?

Old 08-23-2011, 11:38 AM

143 posts, read 378,065 times
Day care costs are very high. And people tend to want to have babies in their twenties and early thirties---at the start of their career. Most don't want to wait until they're 45 when they are financially secure to have a family. There is no PERFECT time to have kids. Most people just struggle financially when children come along.

I think it's foolhardy to have kids when you are already living in poverty. However, a lot of things can occur that places children in poverty. Parents lose their jobs, people divorce, children are born with unexpected expenses, someone in the family gets very sick etc. Honestly, for a middle class family, all it takes is one catastrophy to find themselves in a financial bind.

I had a friend who wanted to stay home, kind of looked down at those who rather work and use daycare. Then her hubby lost his job and couldn't find another. Then her kid got sick. She ended up supporting the family while her husband struggled in employment. She also wanted to three kids but now will settle with her one because she doesn't believe she can financially care for more. It's a responsible choice but.....had she had two or three kids before her husband lost his job, the family would be in a huge financial bind. My friend could have made all the right choices and still end up having to take gov't aid, and being accused by some on this thread as "lazy".

We can condemn those who have multiple children while on welfare/living in poverty. However, how can we generalize ALL who struggle like that?

I can't condemn someone who couldn't PREDICT that their husband would lose his job, whose child is born with unexpected medical bills, who made the best choices for their family (staying home) only to realize it hurts them when they try to work again. There are people who made the best choices at the time, and it still ends up biting them in the butt. It's called real life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies