Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2011, 10:30 PM

11,531 posts, read 10,296,868 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
Thank God that baby will always have a good life.
Yes, growing up in a single parent household with a family that despises the father = good life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2011, 10:37 PM

7,473 posts, read 4,020,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostonian123 View Post
My problem is just with the poor having kids because they are perpetuating poverty in this country.

this is proof that some people having children made a huge mistake even if they were not poor.............

Old 08-18-2011, 10:59 PM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,114,885 times
There actually was a time when if people were so miserly, selfish, hardhearted, cruel, and devoid of all human feelings they were at least sensible enough to be ashamed of it and tried to hide their evil feelings. Now they seem to take pride in their inhumanity and brag about it. Father forgive them. They know not what they do.

Old 08-18-2011, 11:20 PM

8,323 posts, read 15,175,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chattypatty View Post
I've known a number of couples who tried very hard to figure out how to live on one salary because at the end of the day, they really weren't better off financially if the wife worked and they had to pay daycare expenses.
That's why my husband and I did. It wasn't the cost of daycare persay... just that the thought of putting my then-two-year old in a place where I didn't know everything that was going on and she was incapable of giving a full breakdown of her day.

Except in our situation, I (the wifey) am the one working while my husband is the stay-at-home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nepenthe View Post
Maybe Depo Provera in the water supply? IUDs installed at birth? I don't know I'm just tossing spaghetti at the wall here...
Perhaps there needs to be a drug put on the market as a male birth control. Of course, it should also have the same side effects as female birth control has... like weight gain (research Depo and weight gain, for instance) or increased risk of various cancers, mood swings, cramping, bloating, hair loss, puking, etc.

There's a reason why many women refuse to use birth control.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LML View Post
There actually was a time when if people were so miserly, selfish, hardhearted, cruel, and devoid of all human feelings they were at least sensible enough to be ashamed of it and tried to hide their evil feelings. Now they seem to take pride in their inhumanity and brag about it. Father forgive them. They know not what they do.
It seems silly that so many see poverty as a lifetime state. There are many people who were middle-class+ when they had children initially, but found themselves in poverty due to a series of bad happenings. Then there's people who were poverty-stricken when the first child was born, and found themselves middle-class+ later on.

Life happens and nothing is constant. If people stopped having children on the premise that a series of unfortunate events could put them in poverty... there wouldn't be very many children being born. It'd make the birthrate much lower than the amount needed to keep the species properly populated.

Old 08-18-2011, 11:43 PM

5,658 posts, read 6,280,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rita Mordio View Post
Perhaps there needs to be a drug put on the market as a male birth control.
Oh my golly gosh yes! I'd love that.
Quote:
like weight gain (research Depo and weight gain, for instance)
Here's some food for thought: Baby Fat -- Do birth control pills make women gain weight?

It does point out that hormone injections did lead to weight gain, but the findings were that pills did not.
Quote:
...there wouldn't be very many children being born. It'd make the birthrate much lower than the amount needed to keep the species properly populated.
I know it would never work economically -- we need new workers to pay taxes to support retirees, etc. But the current population is nowhere near sustainable in the long term. Quite a lot of the 7 billion people on earth are here because of fossil fuels. How many humans do we need to "properly populate" the species? For the vast majority of the history of the species there have been levels of magnitude fewer people. Where does it end?

Old 08-19-2011, 06:38 AM

3,388 posts, read 3,905,954 times
I didn't realize that only the well-to-do were allowed to raise a family.

And before you jump down my throat, yes, I think people should be able to afford the minimum necessities for their families rather than relying on public funds ad nauseum. However, things happen and there are a lot of people struggling financially who aren't touching public monies. Quality daycare can be prohibitively expensive, not just for the poor but also for the middle class.

ETA: Good daycare workers do deserve to be compensated, IMO - they do valuable work.

Old 08-19-2011, 07:08 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,728,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastwesteastagain View Post
I didn't realize that only the well-to-do were allowed to raise a family.

And before you jump down my throat, yes, I think people should be able to afford the minimum necessities for their families rather than relying on public funds ad nauseum. However, things happen and there are a lot of people struggling financially who aren't touching public monies. Quality daycare can be prohibitively expensive, not just for the poor but also for the middle class.

ETA: Good daycare workers do deserve to be compensated, IMO - they do valuable work.
How can you compare those who can afford their kids with those who cannot?

Have you ever figured out the "well-to-do" were not having babies without daddies starting at very young ages? And they aren't the ones having 7 or 8 kids with one-night-stands who will never help support those kids.

Those who complete their educations, wait until they have a job - and a marriage before they start having their children end up in the "well-to-do" category, but that requires some responsibility and self-control.

Old 08-19-2011, 07:14 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,728,990 times
The whole problem is - our government including the current administration - has decided it's all about ultra cheap labor and Americans can not have a decent life style when competing with all the third world for jobs.

One reason illegals can come here and have much larger families is they are being heavily subsidized, they are given food stamps, WIC, free day care and everything Americans are being denied.

Americans are having a very difficult time with financial aid for college -- so what does Obama do? He makes a dream act by decree that allows foreigners who come here illegally to move to the front of those financial aid and claim their prize while the Americans go without.

And in spite of very high unemployment, Obama is busy expanding NAFTA so what few jobs are left for Americans like truck driving jobs are going to be turned over to foreigners instead and foreign owned trucks will take over our highways.

Obama is a cheap labor globalist that doesn't give damn about the American people.

Old 08-19-2011, 07:15 AM

235 posts, read 510,855 times
Quote:
The problem is that daycare costs more than most working class people can afford to pay, and yet daycare wages are not as much as the daycare workers deserve for the important job they do. What that tells me is that unless you earn a very large salary, you probably would do better trying to figure out how to stay home with your children
Quote:

Only the wealthy can really afford daycare. For everyone else, it's a huge expense, more than a mortgage. It is unrealistic to expect that everyone, even those who are very hardworking and responsible, are going to be able to earn a 6 figure income. We are always going to have lower and middle class people, with varying degrees of responsibility and work ethic, and they should be able to experience the joys of having and raising children, too. If you don't have children, you don't have any idea.
Yes. Seriously, OP, do you have ANY idea how much quality daycare costs? THOUSANDS a month in some geographic locations. I absolutely paid more for childcare per month than my mortgage when my boys were both in daycare full time. At the peak of infant/toddler care it was nearly $3K per month for 2 kids. Thankfully I have a relatively well paying job and could afford it, but it certainly sucked up all our disposable income and before someone accuses me of living beyond my means, that is not the case. We have two older cars that are paid for, we bought our small house 12+ years ago and have a very affordable mortage payment, we haven't been on a real vacation since our honeymoon. Daycare is EXPENSIVE. I'm sure I could have found cheaper care, but I'm not willing to 'go cheap' when it comes to the quality of care for my kids.

The lack of compassion around here is unreal. Threads complaining about "lazy poor people" who don't work, and now a thread complaining about "poor" people who are obviously trying to work yet 'complaining' about how expensive child care is.

Old 08-19-2011, 07:17 AM

6,233 posts, read 9,485,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LML View Post
Incredible, isn't it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies