Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2011, 10:36 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,830,864 times

Advertisements

I agree most people who complain about childcare costs are not poor. They are middle or upper class. Most poor people have vouchers for childcare and can send their kids to some of the best facilities for $25-50 a week, some poor people don't want to pay that so send them to lower standard centers.

I have complained before about childcare costs, I am not poor, not rich either, just in between. I can afford to pay for childcare as well and have money left over but I still have complained about it because I wish it were cheaper.

Wanted to add that I grew up very poor, in poverty actually and do not have a low opinion of poor people and I think it is ridiculous to assume that all poor people are stupid or lazy. My mom was one of those people who did open her own daycare business, after she wasn't poor anymore and had to pay for daycare. She made very good money also as she provided 24hr and primarily overnight care for those who worked the 3rd shift. There aren't too many places that provide 3rd shift daycare.

But really all that to say the premise of this thread is pretty dumb. Most people who have to pay for daycare work and are at least middle class and don't get any assistance or vouchers to pay for daycare. My son who is 9 now goes to the Boys and Girls club and we are waiting to see if we make too much money for him to go there now, if we do (they think we make 1 or 2K more than is allowed because they are federally funded) we will have to pay $85 a week for him to go somewhere after school for 1.5 hours, which I think is too expensive and is ridiculously priced. Some actually think this is cheap but I am extra frugal and would rather let him stay at home by himself for that time frame than pay $85 a week, but it is now against the law for a kid under 12 to stay at home by himself in some places, which I think is more ridiculous than making too much money to go to the Boys and Girls club and paying $85 a week for my son to sit and do homework for an hour after school every day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2011, 11:33 AM

13,651 posts, read 20,786,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeraldmaiden View Post
But that doesn't do much for the kids that are already here.
No and it was not meant as a response to such situations. The best way to solve a problem is to avoid it in the first place.

I am not interested in demonzing people who fall on hard times.

Old 08-18-2011, 12:07 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,288,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
No and it was not meant as a response to such situations. The best way to solve a problem is to avoid it in the first place.

I am not interested in demonzing people who fall on hard times.
I agree. But the premise of the thread was that complaints over how the price of childcare is increasing, inferring that childcare costs for already existing children are going up. You can't prevent what has already occurred without a souped-up Delorean. If the poor people in question aren't already paying for childcare, how would they be complaining that costs are going up?

Old 08-18-2011, 12:44 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,554,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostonian123 View Post
I have a simple solution. Don't have any kids.

The problem is that conservatards oppose both birth control and abortion, so GOP policy encourages the poor to reproduce at a rapid pace. After all, with no money, there are limited forms of entertainment available to them.

Old 08-18-2011, 12:46 PM

6,137 posts, read 4,863,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeraldmaiden View Post
What if you already have kids and then things go downhill for some reason or other (economy, health, etc.). What are you supposed to do with the kids you already have? When the economy tanked, we went through our savings while frantically searching for jobs AND running a small business. Had we had children, what do you think we should have done with them when we got those lovely $9/hr temp jobs?

Everyone is not starting from zero, do you realize that? You sound young, with facile answers to complex questions. With time comes the realization that everyone is not like you, and that's not a bad thing, and that situations are much more complex than they appear on the face of it.
If I'm making the argument that you shouldn't have kids that you can't support, common sense would dictate that I'm not talking about people who could support them when they have them, but have fallen on hard times.

Demographic-economic paradox - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 08-18-2011, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
The problem is that conservatards oppose both birth control and abortion, so GOP policy encourages the poor to reproduce at a rapid pace. After all, with no money, there are limited forms of entertainment available to them.
I'm a conservative and I could give a damn if you want to get an abortion. And even the vast majority of anti-abortion conservatives don't want to outlaw condoms.

Old 08-18-2011, 12:48 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,663,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCPUNK View Post
I wish I could be as empathetic and understanding as all of you. How ever do you do it?

It's those great, compassionate American family values they all have in abundance.

Old 08-18-2011, 12:51 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,356,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamBarrow View Post
I'm a conservative and I could give a damn if you want to get an abortion. And even the vast majority of anti-abortion conservatives don't want to outlaw condoms.
I agree....

Old 08-18-2011, 12:53 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,554,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamBarrow View Post
I'm a conservative and I could give a damn if you want to get an abortion.
Relax.

I'll never have an abortion.

Quote:
And even the vast majority of anti-abortion conservatives don't want to outlaw condoms.
If it's a good idea to hold back the number of kids born into poverty, most forms of contraceptives should be provided free.

Such a policy would save the tax-paying public billions each year.

Old 08-18-2011, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Relax.

I'll never have an abortion.
Well I don't oppose abortion, so whether you want to or not is not my concern. I'm just letting you know that your generalization about us conservatards is wrong.

Quote:
If it's a good idea to hold back the number of kids born into poverty, most forms of contraceptives should be provided free.

Such a policy would save the tax-paying public billions each year.
While I am against this in principle I understand it may be very well worth it. I would probably support a free contraceptive program.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies