Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2011, 09:44 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,439,973 times

Advertisements

It is not only the poor complaining about good childcare. Good childcare today costs a small fortune. I know many young moms who have their children and as well as my grandchidlren in a good daycare. For jsut 2 days a week it is unbelievable if you want good day care. I know many middleclass and above who are complaining about daycare. By the time you pick the child up, if you drive an hour to work, their is gas both ways, clothing for work, starts adding up. If the child is not party trained, it cost you more.

To say people should not have as many children, or should think about not having as many is pointless you as well as i know people are going to have children.

However i believe before a couple these days thinks about having children, they need to figure out if they can afford these children, will somone else be raising them, will the system be rasising them, too many of today's children our young children, have never had a place to call home, or a bed to call all their own, they are a ward of the State and that is sad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2011, 10:50 PM

11,449 posts, read 14,463,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neutral View Post
Some of you must have such miserable lives.
This ^^^

Old 08-17-2011, 10:59 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,449,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostonian123 View Post
I have a simple solution. Don't have any kids.

They're complaining that childcare "is getting expensive", not that it was expensive when they had kids.

If it had been expensive when they had their kids, your point would be valid.

What's happening is that their cost of living is going up but their wages are not.

Old 08-17-2011, 11:00 PM

6,902 posts, read 7,536,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by california-jewel View Post
It is not only the poor complaining about good childcare. Good childcare today costs a small fortune. I know many young moms who have their children and as well as my grandchidlren in a good daycare. For jsut 2 days a week it is unbelievable if you want good day care. I know many middleclass and above who are complaining about daycare. By the time you pick the child up, if you drive an hour to work, their is gas both ways, clothing for work, starts adding up. If the child is not party trained, it cost you more.

To say people should not have as many children, or should think about not having as many is pointless you as well as i know people are going to have children.

However i believe before a couple these days thinks about having children, they need to figure out if they can afford these children, will somone else be raising them, will the system be rasising them, too many of today's children our young children, have never had a place to call home, or a bed to call all their own, they are a ward of the State and that is sad.

Exactly...Its not just the poor that are shocked when the time comes to place a child in some form of child care. A former co-worker and her husband both make six figures and decided it was time to have a child. Well they ended up with twins unexpectanly. When she started looking at Day cares before her due date that took newborns, the cost for each was $600 per week. She couldn't fathom paying that much for childcare. They flew his mom in from Haiti to help with the kids for a year instead.
There are several stories like this and its not only the poor that are shocked at the amount of child care. Honestly who the hell actually factors that in before they decide to have a child? Seriously is the Poor now the Flavor of the month with these threads.

Old 08-18-2011, 12:11 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,449,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
They had to take a breather from bashing Blacks, Hispanics, Muslims, Gays, and immigrants.

No need to worry, the rotation continues, who will be the next group they will vilify in their next post???

Distrust, but vilify.

Old 08-18-2011, 12:28 AM

2,593 posts, read 4,238,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
What's happening is that their cost of living is going up but their wages are not.
Yes, better wages would help ease the pain I agree.

Old 08-18-2011, 01:26 AM

15,080 posts, read 20,469,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coachgns View Post
What is the Purpose / Basis for this thread?
To provide a platform from which one can look down on others and comment on their 'inferior' condition from a safe distance.

Old 08-18-2011, 01:27 AM

11,531 posts, read 10,288,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEETC View Post
To provide a platform from which one can look down on others and comment on their 'inferior' condition from a safe distance.
Well that's not a very Christian thing to do.

Old 08-18-2011, 01:41 AM

1,084 posts, read 1,845,612 times
One of the things I find very sickening about Citydata is the attitude toward the poor. It's sickening--beyond sickening even. The obsession with how "lazy" and "entitled" the poor are, is seriously mind boggling. This thread in itself, is beyond stupid.

Let's face it daycare DOES cost, and has risen within the last decade. And as for the OP, I find it amusing that he made a blanket statement "Why do poor people always complain about how expensive childcare is getting?" It says two things about the OP, either he himself is surrounded by people in poverty hence the reason he always hears them complain(which begs the question is the OP poor or living in an environment of poverty), or B he has too much time on his hands and is focused entirely TOO much on the lives of those that he feels are inferior to him. Either way it's beyond pathetic, and really begs the questions:

Where does he get his generalizations from? Does he know a lot of poor people? OP will have to answer that.

I don't know many poor individuals, but I do know many middle class families and THEY are the ones that have complained to me about the cost of daycare, and when I say middle class I am speaking about families where the total income is between 60k-100k. But of course the OP will completely disregard that. After all, only the POOR abuse the system(even though it's been proven that rich folks do too), only the poor are on food stamps, can't afford daycare, and complain. Nobody else does those things...

And of course his brilliant solution: don't have kids. Great solution. But doesn't take into account those that were financially stable prior to having kids and with unemployment, health issues, etc affecting many families, people can easily find themselves in a bad financial place. You cannot guarantee or predict the future. And of course the OP will never take into account the fact that childcare has risen and continues to rise and that it isn't only the POOR that has noted and complained about the cost.

His only concern? Keep the poor from having kids they perpetuate poverty... Couldn't he just have made a thread about that(poor perpetuating poverty)--whether then creating a stupid topic that generalizes (without evidence may I add) the poor and really has little substance?
Meaningless stupid thread award goes to the OP.

Last edited by sunkisses87; 08-18-2011 at 01:55 AM..

Old 08-18-2011, 02:37 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,288,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunkisses87 View Post
One of the things I find very sickening about Citydata is the attitude toward the poor. It's sickening--beyond sickening even. The obsession with how "lazy" and "entitled" the poor are, is seriously mind boggling. This thread in itself, is beyond stupid.

Let's face it daycare DOES cost, and has risen within the last decade. And as for the OP, I find it amusing that he made a blanket statement "Why do poor people always complain about how expensive childcare is getting?" It says two things about the OP, either he himself is surrounded by people in poverty hence the reason he always hears them complain(which begs the question is the OP poor or living in an environment of poverty), or B he has too much time on his hands and is focused entirely TOO much on the lives of those that he feels are inferior to him. Either way it's beyond pathetic, and really begs the questions:

Where does he get his generalizations from? Does he know a lot of poor people? OP will have to answer that.

I don't know many poor individuals, but I do know many middle class families and THEY are the ones that have complained to me about the cost of daycare, and when I say middle class I am speaking about families where the total income is between 60k-100k. But of course the OP will completely disregard that. After all, only the POOR abuse the system(even though it's been proven that rich folks do too), only the poor are on food stamps, can't afford daycare, and complain. Nobody else does those things...

And of course his brilliant solution: don't have kids. Great solution. But doesn't take into account those that were financially stable prior to having kids and with unemployment, health issues, etc affecting many families, people can easily find themselves in a bad financial place. You cannot guarantee or predict the future. And of course the OP will never take into account the fact that childcare has risen and continues to rise and that it isn't only the POOR that has noted and complained about the cost.

His only concern? Keep the poor from having kids they perpetuate poverty... Couldn't he just have made a thread about that(poor perpetuating poverty)--whether then creating a stupid topic that generalizes (without evidence may I add) the poor and really has little substance?
Meaningless stupid thread award goes to the OP.
Obviously the op has a nice secure life and finds it easy to to sit on his throne and cast his precious stereotypical Limbaughesque solutions to all the poor and those who have fallen on hard times.
If this (op)is the attitude that's become the norm in Americas way of thinking i think the country has lost a major piece of why this country was great and its not about the economic hard times the country is now going through.Its a loss of the moral fabric that was once aspired to,summed up on the plaque inside of the statue of Liberty..
Quote:
"Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies