Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2011, 01:13 PM

37,138 posts, read 42,234,436 times

Advertisements

I was thinking about this overnight in conjunction to another thread discussing the minimum wage. If you do the math, and assume minimum wage for child care providers, it's tricky. And if you actually believe that nobody should have a child unless they have enough cash in the bank to cover everything until they are 18...who exactly would be having children and how is anything afforded? Basically that's a loosing proposition and an impossible position.

What we need more of is families helping families and friends helping friends without seeing it as a huge problem that the government needs to bail people out of. I keep reading about grandparents raising grandkids and how we need to DO SOMTHING! But why? I think people need to take care of their own no matter how it effects their bottom line. I HATE to use that tied phrase "it takes a village" but it does take a support network of some kind (not a government funded one) and we are conditioned to believe we should all be totallly independent at 18 or 21 or whatever. Maybe that worked for a few or for a brief time when things were booming but it's not how things have been historically and it's not going to fly anymore.

I paid a babysitter for 2 years, part time, when my first was born. My mother did much of the childcare for me when I worked those first couple of years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2011, 01:16 PM

13,651 posts, read 20,786,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeraldmaiden View Post
I agree. But the premise of the thread was that complaints over how the price of childcare is increasing, inferring that childcare costs for already existing children are going up. You can't prevent what has already occurred without a souped-up Delorean. If the poor people in question aren't already paying for childcare, how would they be complaining that costs are going up?
You are probably right. But I came in late and was only responding to a specific point rather than the entire premise.

For the record, I complain about the cost of childcare. But its only rhetorical as I knew what I was getting into. And its worth it.

Old 08-18-2011, 02:33 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,554,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamBarrow View Post
Well I don't oppose abortion, so whether you want to or not is not my concern. I'm just letting you know that your generalization about us conservatards is wrong.
Conservatards = those whose blind partisanship damages not only the national interest but works counter to their own interests as well. Your posts don't ID you as part of that set.

Quote:
While I am against this in principle I understand it may be very well worth it. I would probably support a free contraceptive program.
I wouldn't be surprised if a sizable majority of Americans would support it.

Old 08-18-2011, 02:41 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,356,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
Conservatards = those whose blind partisanship damages not only the national interest but works counter to their own interests as well. Your posts don't ID you as part of that set.

I wouldn't be surprised if a sizable majority of Americans would support it.
Back in the day, I got my birth control free from the health department.

Old 08-18-2011, 03:03 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,473,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omniscient1 View Post
Poor folks are poor because they are stupid and/or lazy. If one is not stupid and/or lazy, one does not stay poor.

Case in point.

Dumb poor person: "Holy Smokes! child care is getting expensive..whine whine etc.

Bright/Lazy poor person: "Holy Smokes! child care is getting expensive, I could open a day care". My kids stay free and I make money.... naw too much work plus the man is holding me down excuse, excuse etc.

Bright/Non-Lazy poor person: "Holy Smokes! child care is getting expensive, I will open a day care". "My kids stay free and I make money." (never mind, this person doesn't exist)

Poverty often imposes a barrier to entry not faced by most non-poor people:

If you're poor, you're probably renting an apartment (or maybe just a room!) and providing paid child care would probably not be allowed (by your landlord) or not be feasible.

If you own a house, you have more and better space, no neighbors on the other side of the wall to complain, and no landlord to stop you from providing child care.

Old 08-18-2011, 03:14 PM

376 posts, read 295,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Factsplease View Post
Ignorance is bliss.

I'm glad you're happy.

Old 08-18-2011, 03:20 PM

5,513 posts, read 5,243,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
Exactly. The lack of mercy for the poor here is astounding. Especially when they're working or trying to find work (which somebody using childcare obviously is).

The poor have just as much of a right to "breed" as the rich do. If the poor never had any children history would be missing many great inventors, artists, and leaders, and we would be much worse off for it.

Mercy? Why in the word should we feel mercy for those who selfishly choose to have children they can't afford, thus forcing working taxpayers to pay for something they had no choice in? I don't expect other taxpayers to pay for my dogs and cats, just because they're great.

A poor single mother of two whose boyfriend has abandoned her and who repented of her sin of fornication is much more morally upright than a wealthy couple who divorced and re-married several times.
No, the poor don't have just as much of a right to breed as the rich do--not in our current system, where the working class taxpayer must pay for educating, feeding and supporting every child whose parents can't or won't support it.

Children are a luxury item, and an extremely expensive one. It is fine if you want one, have it, and pay for it (although huge subsidies are built into the system to subsidize children, particularly public education). But it is NOT fine if you have a child that you can't afford, and now everybody else is forced to subsidize the enormous cost of raising a child.

The overpopulation problem is huge and hurts every one of us, however much mothers would like to be paid for what they would choose to do if they were independently wealthy. If we did not have 100 educated and qualified workers for EVERY SINGLE JOB, we would still have a Middle Class--and a future for all these children we're bringing into the world. Everything is much more expensive today--including taxes--because we live in an incredibly overcrowded world. In fact, it is so endemic that we don't even realize the misery of urban stress until we get a few weeks away from it, camping in the wilderness. But of course as the population continues to explode, there is less and less nature for any of us to enjoy--and less and less habitat for any creature not human.

Government subsidizes children for several reasons: first, they increase the number of young, idealistic and unknowledgeable voters that haven't learned enough to become conservative. But even more, parents involved in childrearing have ZERO time or energy to think of anything else. They work, and shuttle the kids around. They look to government to give them benefits and subsidies. They are certainly not going to look into major systemic problems, like the fact that excessive government has crippled the economy and basically reduced not only the size of the economic "pie," but also the part allotted to the lower, working classes.

Old 08-18-2011, 08:44 PM

5,658 posts, read 6,279,394 times
Kids, particularly surplus kids, are luxury items. Not everyone can afford certain luxury items at certain times.

Old 08-18-2011, 09:19 PM

8,806 posts, read 6,114,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tb4000 View Post
I'm still trying to wrap my head around the "don't have kids" thing. Who the **** PLANS kids? Nobody I know. Everytime you bang, there is the chance for kids, birth control or not.
Do you even realize how sad this is? You're supposed to plan for kids, it's called birth control (and taking it PROPERLY) and not trying to have kids until you're married.

Worked for me.

Old 08-18-2011, 09:19 PM

4,866 posts, read 5,680,652 times
:Yeah because all the people who have kids and can't afford to support them have ALWAYS been poor..

Have ya stop to think that things such as job losses can occur along the way....?

So what am I supposed to do with my daughter, just give her away because my family's monthly income ( which was more than enough to support myself and my family 5 months ago when I was 8 1/2 months pregnant) is now 1/3 of what it used to be?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies