Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2011, 01:33 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,024,433 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by california-jewel View Post
It is not only the poor complaining about good childcare. Good childcare today costs a small fortune. I know many young moms who have their children and as well as my grandchidlren in a good daycare. For jsut 2 days a week it is unbelievable if you want good day care. I know many middleclass and above who are complaining about daycare. By the time you pick the child up, if you drive an hour to work, their is gas both ways, clothing for work, starts adding up. If the child is not party trained, it cost you more.

To say people should not have as many children, or should think about not having as many is pointless you as well as i know people are going to have children.

However i believe before a couple these days thinks about having children, they need to figure out if they can afford these children, will somone else be raising them, will the system be rasising them, too many of today's children our young children, have never had a place to call home, or a bed to call all their own, they are a ward of the State and that is sad.
Kids cost money. Lots of it. I remember complaining about the cost of formula and diapers thinking whew when they get older I'll be rich. Then onto daycare cost, thinking whew when they get outta daycare I'll be rich. I had twins so I was doubling down at the time and one three years older. Then you got sports equip, dancing, shoes, clothes, xbox, ipod's, games, movies, dates, on and on it goes and now car coming down the tubes. LOL. Never ends. I'll complain but in reality children make your lives worth living. Better than anything else I would have spent that money on!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2011, 01:50 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,365,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Factsplease View Post
There is a lot more where that came from. The sad part is that some of these people go to church every Sunday and claim to be people of faith but are incapable of showing the least bit of compassion or understanding to anyone unlike themselves.

"If there is a poor man among your brothers in any of the towns of the land that the LORD your God is giving you, do not be hardhearted or tightfisted toward your poor brother. There will always be poor people in the land. Therefore I command you to be openhanded toward your brothers and toward the poor and needy in your land."
-Deuteronomy 15:7, 11

"Do not take advantage of a hired man who is poor and needy, whether he is a brother Israelite or an alien living in one of your towns."
-Deuteronomy 24:14

"Blessed is he who has regard for the weak; the LORD delivers him in times of trouble. The LORD will protect him and preserve his life; he will bless him in the land and not surrender him to the desire of his foes."
-Psalm 41:1-2

"He who oppresses the poor shows contempt for their Maker, but whoever is kind to the needy honors God."
-Proverbs 14:31

"Speak up for those who cannot speak for themselves, for the rights of all who are destitute. Speak up and judge fairly; defend the rights of the poor and needy."
-Proverbs 31:8-9

"Learn to do right! Seek justice, encourage the oppressed. Defend the cause of the fatherless, plead the case of the widow."
-Isaiah 1:17

Okay, I got carried away but God doesn't like ugly and there are sooo many people behaving that way and glorifying it these days.
Isn't it in the Bible somewhere about God sending she bears to eat the children???

Old 08-19-2011, 02:08 PM

8,806 posts, read 6,117,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Factsplease View Post
Sweep in front of your own front door and stop worrying about what's in front of everyone else's.

If everyone waited until things were perfect before they had children, humans would be extinct.
1) I'll sweep in front of someone's door if I'm paying their way. As a taxpayer, I do have a say in where my money is going.

2) Nobody is suggesting that people wait until things are perfect before they procreate. We are suggesting to not bring kids into poverty. If you make $15k/year working full time at a minimum wage job, you have NO business having kids.

Old 08-19-2011, 02:18 PM

8,806 posts, read 6,117,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamBarrow View Post
Better than nothing. Even at 71%, combined with another method with even just 80% accuracy and you have 94%+. And if used correctly, condoms have a much higher rate of effectiveness.
People forget that normally fertile people have something between a 15-25% chance of getting pregnant each month. There are many that are ignorant of their cycles...in case anyone here fits into that box, take the day you get your period, subtract 2 weeks and that is usually about when ovulation occurs. Don't have sex for 5 days prior to that, just in case. Seriously it is not difficult, people.

Someone mentioned that tubal ligations and vasectomies are not foolproof...in the vast majority of cases, YES, they are foolproof, and most couples still have trouble conceiving after a reversal of either.

Old 08-19-2011, 02:23 PM

3,436 posts, read 2,951,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
Isn't it in the Bible somewhere about God sending she bears to eat the children???
Don't know, read it yourself. Never have been a bible thumper and I never claimed to know the book word for word, I was just pointing out the hypocrisy of those who claim to be people of faith like the Michele Bachmanns and Rick Perrys of the world who claim to love Christ but hate the poor. It isn't possible.

Old 08-19-2011, 02:27 PM

2,095 posts, read 2,583,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
1) I'll sweep in front of someone's door if I'm paying their way. As a taxpayer, I do have a say in where my money is going.

2) Nobody is suggesting that people wait until things are perfect before they procreate. We are suggesting to not bring kids into poverty. If you make $15k/year working full time at a minimum wage job, you have NO business having kids.
The situation we have now are people who make $15K a year having the most children and continuing the cycle of poverty.

Old 08-19-2011, 02:34 PM

3,436 posts, read 2,951,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post

This thread was about poor people complaining about the cost of childcare but went into a poor bashing bully fest. Calling people stupid and lazy when you don't know their story is a very narrow-minded approach and view of life and fellow human beings. I have no problem helping a person in need, myself and I am not here to judge whether or not a person making 15K a year should or shouldn't have a child, it isn't my place and I pay taxes too. I am okay with some of my tax money helping the needy.

Everyone has their place in society, whether they flip burgers or are a VP of a major corporation, they are all needed and who the hell are you or I to tell them to have or not to have children? Every time a person has sex, they run the risk. Furthermore, everyone wasn't poor when they got pregnant. I am not into bashing, judging or making blanket statements about a group of people that are different than I am. It is pitiful that some people find pleasure in attacking thw working poor but of course bullies are always attacking people that they view as weaker than they are.

Old 08-19-2011, 02:46 PM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,116,262 times
One person works 50 hours a week digging ditches in the boiling sun or cleaning toilets and making beds in a hotel and makes 16k a year.

Another person works 20 hours a week playing golf and making deals in the club house and makes 1 million a year.

Which is a lazy, worthless person who doesn't deserve the opportunity to have a child to love?

Old 08-19-2011, 02:51 PM

3,875 posts, read 3,873,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
Well someone has to breed burger flippers. Damn it!
Yes more serfs/peasants to cater to the wealthy.

Old 08-19-2011, 02:54 PM

1,474 posts, read 2,919,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tb4000 View Post
I'm still trying to wrap my head around the "don't have kids" thing. Who the **** PLANS kids? Nobody I know. Everytime you bang, there is the chance for kids, birth control or not.
Well actually this married gal (20 years) planned to NOT have kids. It was totally doable. My older sisters also planned (one had one kid which she planned, the other none). I understand accidents happen but birth control is out there and very available. If one is low income and cannot afford birth control which CAN be expensive there should be a way to get it for either very low cost or free.

Daycare is bloody expensive when you look at the monthly cost (here it was about $1K/month for a baby, a little less for an older child) but when you look at the hourly rate it is a pittance for the person watching the child. $1000/mo = $250/wk = $6.25/hr. Would I watch someone's child for $6.25/hr? Heck no.

Last edited by jillz; 08-19-2011 at 03:22 PM.. Reason: clarification
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies