Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2011, 07:24 AM

3,388 posts, read 3,904,404 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
How can you compare those who can afford their kids with those who cannot?

Have you ever figured out the "well-to-do" were not having babies without daddies starting at very young ages? And they aren't the ones having 7 or 8 kids with one-night-stands who will never help support those kids.

Those who complete their educations, wait until they have a job - and a marriage before they start having their children end up in the "well-to-do" category, but that requires some responsibility and self-control.
I am speaking about the large class of people who are not "welfare parents" popping out 7 or 8 kids, but the working poor and lower middle class who are working their butts off trying to make ends meet, in monogamous/married relationships and choose to have a family. Somehow this group always seems to be left out of conversations where answers such as "just don't have kids" are proposed.

I hate to break it to you, but there are a LOT of people who finished college or graduate school and work full-time, sometimes more than one job apiece, who are still struggling to make ends meet. It is a fallacy that responsibility and self-control alone leads to a path of financial prosperity in this day and age. Yes, they are necessary conditions, but not sufficient. So I am comparing the well-to-do (some of whom I know from high school who actually did have babies while still in school while unwed, imagine that) to the lower middle class/working class, aka "the forgotten class" which seems to be growing and not shrinking. I have already stated that I believe people should be able to pay for the basic necessities for a family (i.e., not be on welfare for a prolonged time).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2011, 07:24 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,348,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
Yes, growing up in a single parent household with a family that despises the father = good life.
I have a little advantage on this one.......

The child will be fine.

Old 08-19-2011, 07:29 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,348,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCGMetroWest View Post
Yes. Seriously, OP, do you have ANY idea how much quality daycare costs? THOUSANDS a month in some geographic locations. I absolutely paid more for childcare per month than my mortgage when my boys were both in daycare full time. At the peak of infant/toddler care it was nearly $3K per month for 2 kids. Thankfully I have a relatively well paying job and could afford it, but it certainly sucked up all our disposable income and before someone accuses me of living beyond my means, that is not the case. We have two older cars that are paid for, we bought our small house 12+ years ago and have a very affordable mortage payment, we haven't been on a real vacation since our honeymoon. Daycare is EXPENSIVE. I'm sure I could have found cheaper care, but I'm not willing to 'go cheap' when it comes to the quality of care for my kids.

The lack of compassion around here is unreal. Threads complaining about "lazy poor people" who don't work, and now a thread complaining about "poor" people who are obviously trying to work yet 'complaining' about how expensive child care is.
Did you take the tax credits on your federal form???

Old 08-19-2011, 07:32 AM

235 posts, read 510,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
Did you take the tax credits on your federal form???
Yes, actually I meant to comment on that. We maxed out the tax credit after month # 2. I can't remember exactly what the credit is, but it's not much...AT ALL. A few thousand per kid maybe?

ETA: I just looked it up, the max is $6000 per year. We hit that at month # 2. We paid well over $30K for childcare at the height of paying for it. Again, we could afford it, but I don't know too many middle class folks have an extra $25K - $30K laying around each year.

Old 08-19-2011, 08:18 AM

3,436 posts, read 2,949,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LML View Post
There actually was a time when if people were so miserly, selfish, hardhearted, cruel, and devoid of all human feelings they were at least sensible enough to be ashamed of it and tried to hide their evil feelings. Now they seem to take pride in their inhumanity and brag about it. Father forgive them. They know not what they do.

And they wonder why all these anti-bullying policies have been put in place. This attitude that it's okay to pass judgement and look down on people (calling them stupid and lazy and thinking that they should be denied the same rights as everyone else) that aren't just like you has gotten out of control.

So far in this thread, poor people have been called stupid, lazy and it was said that they shouldn't have children because they breed more poor people. What a F-ed up way to look at the world and other human beings. Where is the compassion? Where is the understanding? You are so right, there is a large group of people who take pride in being inhumane and personally I would rather see a compassionate poor person have a child then one of these inhumane, selfish bullies.

Old 08-19-2011, 08:22 AM

235 posts, read 510,756 times
Factsplease - absolutely!

No wonder our society has gone down the crapper. I just hope that none of the folks in this thread ever fall on hard times and need help.

Old 08-19-2011, 08:31 AM

6,137 posts, read 4,862,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Factsplease View Post
And they wonder why all these anti-bullying policies have been put in place. This attitude that it's okay to pass judgement and look down on people (calling them stupid and lazy and thinking that they should be denied the same rights as everyone else) that aren't just like you has gotten out of control.
Which rights are we talking about here exactly? Why is it that in every one of these discussions some lefty starts talking about denying people's rights? There is no "right" to day care for your kids. You do not have that right. Period.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factsplease View Post
So far in this thread, poor people have been called stupid, lazy and it was said that they shouldn't have children because they breed more poor people. What a F-ed up way to look at the world and other human beings. Where is the compassion? Where is the understanding? You are so right, there is a large group of people who take pride in being inhumane and personally I would rather see a compassionate poor person have a child then one of these inhumane, selfish bullies.
I admit I make generalizations based on my personal experiences. You do as well, to the opposite extreme. I was compassionate and understanding until I hit about 16, and I realized how screwed up the human species really was. Many poor people are good people. But you know what? Many are not. There are a huge number of people who will have children they can't afford, knowing they will give those kids horrible lives because of their own inability and/or laziness. And they will not think twice about it. I will tell you some stories that will make you want to throw up.

You can not sit here and tell me that all poor people are just unlucky. You are wrong. If you'd like to prove that this is the case, present some statistics showing that the majority of the children now living in poverty were born at a time when their parents were above the poverty line. I wish you luck on that one. You'll need it.

Take the moral high ground if you want, but I'm calling it like I see it. If I'm a "meany" then so be it. This is the world we live in, and it ain't always pretty. Quite the opposite.

Old 08-19-2011, 08:56 AM

13,221 posts, read 12,322,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostonian123 View Post
I have a simple solution. Don't have any kids.

Ding, ding we have a winner for the dumbest question for today!
Here are other question/answers that might be useful

Question: Why do starving people complain about foriegn objects in their food?
Answer: They should just be quiet and eat their crunchy oatmeal

Question: Why do people complain about air quality?
Answer: bad air? What bad <coughing> air? That is what air tanks are for

Question: Why do poor neighborhoods complain about the schools system that ineffective?
Answer: The hell with education, don't send them to school at all

I guess those darn poor people have the nerve to have children and at the same time have the nerve to want to do better in their lives

Old 08-19-2011, 08:57 AM

6,137 posts, read 4,862,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
I guess those darn poor people have the nerve to have children and at the same time have the nerve to want to do better in their lives
And you have the nerve to blame everyone except the person who decides to have the child they can't support.

Old 08-19-2011, 08:59 AM

3,436 posts, read 2,949,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamBarrow View Post
Which rights are we talking about here exactly? Why is it that in every one of these discussions some lefty starts talking about denying people's rights? There is no "right" to day care for your kids. You do not have that right. Period.

I admit I make generalizations based on my personal experiences. You do as well, to the opposite extreme. I was compassionate and understanding until I hit about 16, and I realized how screwed up the human species really was. Many poor people are good people. But you know what? Many are not. There are a huge number of people who will have children they can't afford, knowing they will give those kids horrible lives because of their own inability and/or laziness. And they will not think twice about it. I will tell you some stories that will make you want to throw up.

You can not sit here and tell me that all poor people are just unlucky. You are wrong. If you'd like to prove that this is the case, present some statistics showing that the majority of the children now living in poverty were born at a time when their parents were above the poverty line. I wish you luck on that one. You'll need it.

Take the moral high ground if you want, but I'm calling it like I see it. If I'm a "meany" then so be it. This is the world we live in, and it ain't always pretty. Quite the opposite.

I never said that people have the right to daycare. That is ridiculous, I was referring to the right to procreate. I never tried to tell you that all poor people were unlucky. In fact, if you go back and read some of my posts in this thread, you'll see that I acknowledged that some poor people are lazy, but this is not all poor people. Making blanket statements about poor people that you know nothing about, then saying things like "poor people are stupid and lazy" or "poor people shouldn't have chldren" is mean, it is cruel and it is also making a baseless generalization.

How about you find some stats proving that all or most poor people are lazy? Since you are into stats. My opinion and my compassion for other human beings is based on my upbringing and my life experience, not stats. By the way, having money doesn't guaranty that your children will have a good life and unless the there's something you're not telling me, we both live in the same not-so-pretty world. My reason for why the human species is f-ed-up is obviously a lot different than yours.

I am a person with a six figure household income who has been poor before, so I was at some point an example of a poor person who was not stupid or lazy and worked for a living. I worked my way up and did what I had to do to better myself. I know others who are doing the same and I know some people doing just the opposite. I know some people who have gone through a slump or depression and got out of it and made something of their lives.

I understand that we are human and that just because a person is down on their luck or going through hard times doesn't make them doomed for all eternity or an evil, lazy and stupid person. Some people are never poor because their family makes sure that they're not, it doesn't mean that they are the most self-motivated intelligent individuals. Of course we are not all born priveleged and while some learn earlier in life, some learn later. Until you have walked a mile in someone else's shoes, you have no idea. I am not one to judge and I stand by my opinion that I would rather see a compassionate, loving poor person have a child than a selfish, judgemental bully.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies