Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2011, 10:26 AM

37,981 posts, read 22,167,958 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Allowing the "Free Trade" really has been a devastating to the American economy as losing a major war. A steel mill scrapped because Korean steel is cheaper is just a destroyed as if it were bombed by terrorists. We need to wake up to the fact that our trading "partners" are our competitors and NOT our friends. They would be just as happy if we went away commercially so long as we paid for their defense against their enemies. Time to say Fair prices or you pay for your own defense.

We need FAIR Trade, not unfair trade that is robbing us of any semblance of previous prosperity. I would rather the Union workers, along with most of the rest of us, be the winners. The executives, stockholders and bankers have already stolen enough.
Agreed.

I said it before, at the very least, we should slap a huge tariff on any imports with stolen intellectual property. Too many countries allow businesses to steal the patents and copyrights from US citizens, and then ship their goods with pirated technology and stolen ideas, back into the US at cut rate prices.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2011, 10:31 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,956,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
I'm sure over-regulation and our punitive tax code played a part also.
Except for the fact that there is no evidence to support your view, you are right.

Old 10-13-2011, 10:33 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,805,597 times
I thank everyone that is supporting my point the we need Fair not "free' Trade with the rest of the world. GregW

Old 10-13-2011, 10:34 AM

8,263 posts, read 12,202,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
Americans are already competing with North Korean Wage Slaves for Hyundai Plants. THIRD WORLD WE ARE HERE.
Christ don't be such a drama queen. I bet you are somewhere pretty comfortable that is climate controlled, plenty of space, nice vehicle in the driveway, typing on your computer about being in a third world country.

Get real.

Old 10-13-2011, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nr5667 View Post
What's the solution? Accept that we're going to have a higher unemployment rates, or that our standard of living is going to fall while the rich get richer - for some reason, neither sounds like a great idea.
I think our standard of living will dip slightly or remain pretty close to constant as more of the developing world catches up. People fret about our demise but real wages for most really haven't dropped that much over time.

Have you ever seen a graph of China's manufacturing wages over the last 10 years and projected over the next ten? We're a lot closer to the tipping point of overseas manufacturing not making as much sense, and there have already been some manufacturers that have decided because of rising costs it no longer makes sense. It isn't going to go on forever, as the standard of living rises in developing countries their advantages as a source of labor lessen.

Old 10-13-2011, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
How long have you Slave-Lorded over the Hondurans? 150 years and they still don't have electricity or running water or sewage or even roads.
Huh?

Honduras isn't wealthy by any means by they are hardly living without things like roads, electricity, or running water.

Old 10-13-2011, 11:39 AM

24,621 posts, read 19,177,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
Huh?
Honduras isn't wealthy by any means by they are hardly living without things like roads, electricity, or running water.
Dude that's the urban areas. Go out into the rural areas. You ought to enlist in the army. You can do like I did and go tromp through the Honduran jungle with a bunch of suits and watch them terrorize villagers to make sure they vote for the US puppet-in-power.

Old 10-13-2011, 11:44 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,995,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Dude that's the urban areas. Go out into the rural areas. You ought to enlist in the army. You can do like I did and go tromp through the Honduran jungle with a bunch of suits and watch them terrorize villagers to make sure they vote for the US puppet-in-power.

B-b-b-but the US government would NEVER allow or condone those actions. (SARCASM)

Old 10-13-2011, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
Except for the fact that there is no evidence to support your view, you are right.
It's not just my "view" its a fact that we have way too many regulations, and one of the highest corporate taxes, next to maybe Japan.

Old 10-13-2011, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
Huh?

Those are obviously Photoshopped pix from California.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies