Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-31-2011, 11:06 AM

2,093 posts, read 4,701,754 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post

The aggressor in the video should feel embarrassed. The American community should also feel embarrassed that the US citizen in the video displayed aggression to an elderly Korean couple. Not a great way of representing our country.

And just to top that off, I am an American born to Korean parents who does not harbor hard feelings towards an entire group because of a few idiots. In just about every group, there are going to be a few racist idiots.

Old 08-31-2011, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
I'm not defending this guy's behavior at all. To provide context though, I have been told by many friends who have been stationed in Korea that Koreans are racists ... not toward black people in particular, but toward all non Koreans, including whites. I have been warned if I go there that the daily racism is taxing and burdensome. This guy misinterpreted what was said to him, but he undoubtedly deals with openly racist attitudes and behaviors routinely. (For example, I have been told its very common for restaurants to refuse service to whites.. and I would presume blacks too.) He may have just snapped.

And again, THAT DOES NOT EXCUSE ATTACKING OLD PEOPLE. This guy should be embarrassed and ashamed for himself. If I could, I would force him to watch himself acting like that in a room of people telling him how cowardly and foolish he looks "bucking up" on an old man and defenseless old lady until I was sure he got it ... or at least got that absolutely no one was impressed with his behavior.

That is absolutely false. There are groups in Korea that have negative animosity towards American soldiers. And when there are Koreans discriminating against certain groups, it is usually for political reasons.

Old 08-31-2011, 11:13 AM

4,112 posts, read 4,478,735 times
I'm still waiting for your opinion Jonoas.

Old 08-31-2011, 11:14 AM

1,348 posts, read 2,860,346 times
Bringing a little bit of Detroit to Seoul. LOL

Old 08-31-2011, 11:15 AM

8,145 posts, read 6,538,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonaos View Post
If everything was fair, then there would be little reason to assume that qualified white people are not being screwed out of jobs. Yet there is nothing fair when it comes to hiring people today, the fact that having black or brown skin = free points leads to people making that accusation.

And if you dont like people making that assumption then tough. Get rid of the Quota system/AA and the field will be level and only Skill would matter for job placement [which is how it should be anyways, but isn't]. Besides that, sure there are plenty of qualified black people, but the Quota system does exist and that creates a stigma for the qualified black person. Like it or not but it does.
You just feel whites are more qualified than blacks period. Just because you didn't get the job and the person who did is black doesn't mean you were a victim of AA. I worked with a lady that when I and a few others got promoted stated that because I got promoted over her "theres no way they looked at our resumes". She assumed that her resume had to be better than mine,she was wrong. Also it was her nasty attitude and snitch to get ahead behavior that sunk her. The people that made the promotion decisions were white and she was white and yet somehow AA was used against her. Quit whining no white person is ever going to give your job or promotion to some less qualified black person. Any way white women benefit from AA too I have been told so why doesn't that make you angry.

Old 08-31-2011, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
From being in Asia and living in a predominantly Asian neighborhood now, I can say that there are a lot of Asians who are racist, period. LOTS of them.
So if a guy like me, who is Asian American, walks down by your neighborhood, are you going to naturally assume that I'm a racist?

Old 08-31-2011, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimC2462 View Post
The aggressor in the video should feel embarrassed. The American community should also feel embarrassed that the US citizen in the video displayed aggression to an elderly Korean couple. Not a great way of representing our country.

And just to top that off, I am an American born to Korean parents who does not harbor hard feelings towards an entire group because of a few idiots. In just about every group, there are going to be a few racist idiots.
If the op had stated just what you did I would have posted you are correct. He should feel embarrassed and seek anger management. Instead the op needed to bring in the tea party crowd so he put look what this BLACK guy did.

Old 08-31-2011, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by btsilver View Post
I'm still waiting for your opinion Jonoas.
You better get a book. This could take awhile.

Old 08-31-2011, 11:29 AM

Quote:
So if a guy like me, who is Asian American, walks down by your neighborhood, are you going to naturally assume that I'm a racist?
I hope not. Fortunately in all races their are many decent people that hate racism and do everything to teach their kids that it is wrong. The racist are usually also hateful in other ways too. I try to never assume someone is racist. The actions they take should tell you what they are.
I have many times defended white co workers against incompetent or lazy black co workers who once called on their bad behaviors says the person is racist. I have even had write ups I have giving black subordinates used to show their claim of racism is false. Good people make the difference. Racist low life people of all races make the world suck sometimes.

Old 08-31-2011, 11:36 AM

4,112 posts, read 4,478,735 times
Quote:
Dear TimC2462, now you see the other side of the coin. We've been here trying to let others see the fallacy in this thinking yet it falls on deaf ears.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies