Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2011, 04:06 PM

1,337 posts, read 1,523,468 times

Advertisements

Mormons are really good at promoting and practicing food storage. They have their uses.

You can go to many of their dry "canneries" and get a years worth of food for like $200.. They sell it, more or less at-cost, with the intent of helping people prepare so they can hedge against life's unforeseen circumstances (e.g. job loss, downturn in the economy, weather related exigencies, etc...).

Last edited by FreedomThroughAnarchism; 10-08-2011 at 04:31 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2011, 04:07 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,541,384 times
And in the 1960s some People were saying not to vote for JFK because he was catholic and would take orders from the pope.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenyo View Post
(CNN) – A pastor of a mega church in Dallas said Friday that Republicans shouldn't vote for White House hopeful Mitt Romney because he's a Mormon and described the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints as a "cult."
"I think Mitt Romney's a good, moral man, but those of us who are born again followers of Christ should prefer a competent Christian," said Robert Jeffress, pastor of the First Baptist Church of Dallas, which has a congregation of about 10,000.

BREAKING: Pastor to GOP: Don’t vote for Romney because he’s Mormon – CNN Political Ticker - CNN.com Blogs

I agree with Jeffress on one thing. Mormonism is a cult but so is every denomination of xtianity. Seriously, when you spend your Sundays prentending to eat the body and drink the blood of a zombie that levatated into the sky, you can't pretend that you're any less cultish than protective underpants wearing, gods of their own planets when they die mormons. It's all nonsense.

Old 10-08-2011, 04:31 PM

28,099 posts, read 29,981,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
O.K., but I am going to bring my wife so don't hit on me.
I'm married myself, and probably old enough to be your mother, so you don't have to worry. But I volunteer at the Salt Lake Visitors & Convention Bureau and I know a TON about Utah and Salt Lake City tourism. I'd seriously be happy to give you some hints for your vacation.

Old 10-08-2011, 04:48 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,362,657 times
This Christian has no problem voting for Romney if he is the GOP pick. I've never cared to know anymore about the Mormon Church other than the fact that they are extremely helpful and valuable when one seeks to do serious family history. I'm betting Romney knows his ancestral history better than any Presidential candidate in modern history. That is a credit if that stereotype fits him.

Old 10-08-2011, 06:56 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,978,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YAZ View Post
So, basically, you renounce that our country was based on Judaeo-Christian belefs?
Most of the foundling dads were diests.

Yes. We are a melting pot of religions and should not favor one over another. In order to do that, we must remain secular.

Some Judaeo-Christian beliefs are abhorrent to me, like stoning your disobedient children. You must know that one forbidding people to wear clothing made of two fabrics, like poly-wool blends?

Old 10-08-2011, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
Here's a little gem for ya.

I'm not a fan of fundamentalists myself, but it is just as wrong to restrict their political rights as it is for others.
Thank you for posting this. I must have come across it before but did not remember. Old brain cells.

You/We should be able to question anything that would affect the job. I guess it just should not be framed in a religious context.

Remember when we thought Kennedy might take orders from the Pope? I mean, it sounds silly, but it was a concern for some at the time. Don't the Mormons have a living prophet that they also hold in just as high regard?

Last edited by goldengrain; 10-08-2011 at 07:35 PM..

Old 10-08-2011, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aganusn View Post
Once again, people showing religion needs to be wiped off the face of the earth. What a strange society we live in.

Not at all, but it IS a personal thing, a choice and religious views do vary enough that we should not hard code them into secular society. It is an even handed thing to do and ultimately preserves the freedom of religions, even the smaller ones with fewer adherents.

This is nothing to get so dramatic about.

Old 10-08-2011, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
A quick question for those who won't vote for Romney because of his faith--what are you going to do on election day if he wins the nomination? Will you just say home, or will you go shopping for a third party candidate? I'm just curious.
I will break my finger before I select Obama again. He had Congress in his pocket, and did not deliver.

If Nader gets in the race, I might vote for him.

I don't hate Romney. Frankly, I think the two Mormon candidates seem the most sensible out of the Republican hopefuls. Huntsman actually came out in favor of science!
Romney does not impress me as a true believer. He might be able to accomplish things.

Old 10-08-2011, 07:37 PM

Does the Mormon church pay taxes on it's investments? Just as long as their book keeping is honest, I guess there would be no problem. I just think it may be cheating to up the costs to make things appear as though you are just breaking even.

Of course, if I had my druthers, all houses of worship would be taxed on all properties and endeavors.

Old 10-08-2011, 09:35 PM

28,099 posts, read 29,981,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
Does the Mormon church pay taxes on it's investments? Just as long as their book keeping is honest, I guess there would be no problem. I just think it may be cheating to up the costs to make things appear as though you are just breaking even.
I would agree that honesty is of vital importance. I'm just wondering why you suspect they're cheating. I mean is there some evidence you could point to, or is this just a gut feeling you have?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies