Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2011, 12:23 PM

4,127 posts, read 5,068,656 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
Right now trucking companies are have a hard time finding qualifed drives so your post makes no sense.
Actually the trucking companies are having a hard time finding qualified OTR drivers willing to work for less than minimum wage. They pay by the mile, not hourly. I'll not go into the reasons but the reality is that only newb drivers who have no other option will do OTR to get the time in so they can get a real job. A guy with a family would do better working fast food. At least he might get some benefits. Independent truckers are almost non-existent because they're being regulated and feed out of business. Only the largest companies can even stay afloat in this environment.

I haven't driven for many years but have maintained my CDL and all endorsements just in case. I'm retired so not in the job market but if I had to go back to work, if I couldn't find local hourly work, I'd rather be the Wally-World greeter than do OTR. It's not a lack of qualified drivers. The OTR companies are still paying 1980s wages and that's NOT adjusted for inflation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2011, 12:27 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,355,649 times
Quote:
Right now trucking companies are have a hard time finding qualifed drives so your post makes no sense.
So the Mexican drivers are more qualified to be on our roads? The Mexican truck companies will under cut American companies prices and take over.
It's got nothing to do with finding drivers, it's the fact of companies coming in and taking over the trucking industry. Your post is the one, which makes no sense.

Old 10-20-2011, 12:30 PM

13,694 posts, read 9,011,664 times
I have a feeling that many here believe that this is your average Mexican Truck:

Old 10-20-2011, 12:40 PM

9,240 posts, read 8,669,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
So the Mexican drivers are more qualified to be on our roads? The Mexican truck companies will under cut American companies prices and take over.
It's got nothing to do with finding drivers, it's the fact of companies coming in and taking over the trucking industry. Your post is the one, which makes no sense.
Agreed.

Old 10-20-2011, 12:42 PM

9,240 posts, read 8,669,503 times
Quote:
In other words. American truck companies will go out of business, due to Mexican Truck companies cheap prices & out sourcing.

Old 10-20-2011, 12:51 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,493,436 times
I've done enough bashing on this thread and now will give you the straight goods on your's AND Canada's trucking industry current biggest threat. MIDDLE EASTERN drivers of various religious extractions.

They buy trucks as a group and will operate the thing until it dies. Maintenance is kept to an absolute minimum. They are content to work as many to a cab as will fit so they can run 24/7. they cook, eat, sleep AND perform biffy functions through a hole in the floor. Talk to the Quick lube places about what the underside of one of their trucks looks and smells like.

Their trucks are blessed by a mosque/temple and tithe a percentage of the income garnered back to that mosque/temple. In exchange the mosques/temples act as brokers and arrange loads throughout the north american continent thereby under-cutting the average OTR AND Fleet operators. It is not uncommon for a Temple in Toronto to negotiate a return load for a truck heading to Dallas and performing all the required import/export functions and filings..

Contemplate the proliferation of Mosques and Temples springing up all over the continent and ask yourself how the normal process of taxation of commercial endeavours versus those tax rates for religious entities makes for a level playing field for the NORMAL commercial carrier.

Our respective goverments have known about this for years but are either s**t scared to poke into their religion-business or have a vested interest in not bothering.

Mexicans and Canadians are the least of your trucking problems.

Old 10-20-2011, 01:05 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,458,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
I have given this some little thought (since I am at work, although with the news coming fast and furious today, I am being a bit lax).

The President has the power to negotiate treaties, with the advise and consent of the Senate.

Hence, I assume that the President could enter into negotiations with Mexico (and Canada) with the purpose of either amending the treaty, or getting those two countries to agree to nullify the treaty. Again, the Senate must approve any final agreement.

The President cannot unilaterally void a valid treaty. As Groucho Marx would say "Of course, you realize this means War!" if he tried to do so, and then everyone would start singing and dancing.

Of course, the United States has ignored or broken many treaties, although usually with native American tribes.

I guess that President Obama could have continued trying to delay the full implementation of the NAFTA accord. However, I believe that the Mexican government has agreed to the many rules imposed on their truckers for crossing our border.

I hope one rule involves prohibiting the dangerous 'triple trailer' that is so common in Mexico (i.e., a cab pulling three large cargo containers, an 'eighteen wheeler' times three). Sure, you can haul a lot of stuff, but that third trailer tends to whirl about with the slightest wind.

I imagine a lot of US businesses are quite pleased at this latest development, since now they will be able to quickly and affordably get their goods, made in Mexico, up here. Look for the price of Chickets to go down soon!
Everything you said is very true, but there is one condition where a President can, and has, voided a treaty with the advise and consent of the Senate of course, but without negotiating with the other party. That condition is when the government with whom the treaty was made no longer exists. As with the USSR, for example. Some treaties were kept in place, while others were disgarded (such as our agreement not to build a missile defense system).

Egypt is another example where we have had a treaty with the Sadat and then the Mubarack governments, which no longer exists. Therefore, the President could submit to the Senate that the 1979 Camp David Accords be rendered null and void as far as Egypt is concerned.

Old 10-20-2011, 01:13 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,215,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
It most certainly does. Obama did all the groveling he could to the Mexican government to push this crap through. To hell with Americans and jobs for Americans. He's got his globalist masters to please.
You're completely clueless. Please stop. You're embarrassing yourself.

Obama didn't need to grovel to the Mexican government to push this through because the Mexican government has been the biggest proponent of this agreement right from the beginning. So much so, that they've been threatening us with tariffs on our goods if we didn't comply with the agreement.

Bottom line, we negotiated this agreement as part of a larger trade agreement more than a decade ago, and we stonewalled Mexico in the implementation of the program. Well, we couldn't stonewall it any longer, so we're left with few options.

I don't like the agreement, don't want the agreement, and i don't want to implement it. But stupid trade agreements have consequences. The American trucking companies pushed for a lot of this stuff, even though they're having cold feet now.

As for Obama's "globalist masters," i'll just pay you no mind because you're being silly. When did right wingers start hating economic globalists? Uh...never! Well, at least before Obama became president. You guys have been the biggest cheerleaders of American jobs leaving this country over the last 30 years....you're all the spawn of Ronald Reagan. Anything to see a union worker or a low skilled worker making good wages put out of work is a dream for the right wing....especially if it raises the stock price for shareholders. That's the Republican philosophy....and you know it.

LMAO @ right wingers all of a sudden caring about American jobs.

Old 10-20-2011, 01:18 PM

33,571 posts, read 18,170,292 times
When all the mexicans are trucked over the border , I wonder who will turn the lights out when no one is left in Mexico.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies