Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2011, 10:35 AM

181 posts, read 304,014 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingObeat View Post
I'm going to be starting Truck Driving School soon and already I have to worry about my future career possibly being outsourced or getting paid less.
You might want to thank them, because believe me, after the initial hey look at me I'm a big truck driver wears off, it is all down hill and ugly.Also do you think you will like being treated like the scum of the earth?This is 40 years speaking here, but good luck and God Bless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2011, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Definitely time to change your field. You won't have a chance at a job, and the Mexicans will work these jobs for incredibly cheap. They'll flood the jobs.

The OWS seem to have no clue this is going on and they obviously adord Obama the sell out too much to protest where and what they should be protesting. Anyone who isn't bothered by this cannot really claim to care about American jobs.
I'm not bothered by this, we have been divided and conquered, we let this happen because of who we put in Washington.Washington and Corporate America are the biggest scams going,and that is what has brought us to where we are to day.Now go back and call a Dem an idiot or a Rep a moron, that will fix everything.

Old 10-21-2011, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
Well, since NAFTA was a treaty negotiated with Canada and Mexico and passed and signed into law with an implementation date of January 1, 1994, my question is simple:

You are the President. What would you have done? Please provide your Constitutional authority for your answer.

For instance, "I would have said NO", is not a valid answer. Or, if it is, please explain what authority the President has to unilaterally tear up a treaty.

What would you, as the President, have done?
I'm past caring, but,Constitutional Authority, I was under the impression that they just made the law fit whatever they wanted to do or make up a new one.

Old 10-21-2011, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
they can't be much worse than some of the doped up truck drivers you see now days o highways.
Evidently you are unaware of random drug testing.

Old 10-21-2011, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Whooeee! On this one I'll chime in. While NOT a professional or commercial carrier, BUT a recreational RV retired winter snowbird for any number of years travelling into the U.S. southwest, predominantly Yuma, Az.

My 5th wheel RV trailer was larger and had a GVWR of 20,000lbs so I elected to order an International 4400 configured as a class 6 and custom built to haul my harley in a barn behind the cab.

Truck required a full commercial operator's registration (CVOR) here in Canada as the only trucks exempt are pick-ups NOT used for commercial enterprises. This means the truck was required to have an ANNUAL safety AND emissions inspection by Government authorized inspection stations. A complete inspection not just a lookover! Refusal to perform maintenance to pass means the truck doesn't turn a wheel!

Emissions test includes probes up the pipe and as many as NINE full throttle "snaps" to test emissions coming out the pipe. My truck due to it being new and used for "light duty", routinely passed in 3 "snaps".

The truck had full Air Brakes (not hydraulic over) so required a "Z" endoresement to my license which in turn required me to perform the full commercial exam as though I were towing an air brake equipped trailer as well at the time (early 04). My A-CDL here in Canada required my keeping of logs and daily inspection records to be available should I ever be stopped while travelling bob-tail as when I was hooked to my "personal use house trailer" I would be exempt from the log keeping.

Now here's the deal about Canada versus the U.S.: living in southern Ontario Canada I was stopped no less than 4 times and required to show ALL my up-to-date certifactions and license on my travels from my home to the border on my way out of Canada BUT NOT ONCE IN ALL MY YEARS OF TRAVEL IN ANY OF THE STATES WAS I GIVEN A SECOND GLANCE!!!

Attaining age 65 mean't I was obligated to have full medical annually by a government specified medical examiner and NOT just by my GP. I was required to perform the full A-CDL plus air brake, exam and driven part, annually as well.

These are all the parts required by Canadian truckers operating in commerce above AND below the 49th.

That aforementioned CVOR registration required me as an owner operater to fill out a yearly audit report on my vehicle stating mileage travelled the current year and porjected mileage expected to be travelled the folloing year and if the two didn't jibe you got a formal audit. Any vehicles operating under this certificate are required to have ALL the drivers listed along with their qualifications and the certificate (CVOR) can be yanked if just one of the drivers of any of the fleets trucks has had a number of serious infractions so ALL trucks of the fleet operator's up here can be shut down if just ONE of the driver's of any of those trucks is suspect.

All maintenance and operator's infractions are audited on a yearly basis to qualify for that CVOR.

I was just hauling my RV and putting on less than 10K miles a year and had to subscribe to ALL of the above.
Being a trucker and an O/O I know what your going thru, my only question is, ain't cha glad you bought that truck?

Old 10-21-2011, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
Right now trucking companies are have a hard time finding qualifed drives so your post makes no sense.
The companies created the shortage by treating people like garbage keeping them on the road with little pay. There have been allot of experienced truck drivers leave the industrie just because of the way they are treated.Would you work at a job where you where treated like the scum of the earth?

Old 10-21-2011, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_Ryder View Post
Actually the trucking companies are having a hard time finding qualified OTR drivers willing to work for less than minimum wage. They pay by the mile, not hourly. I'll not go into the reasons but the reality is that only newb drivers who have no other option will do OTR to get the time in so they can get a real job. A guy with a family would do better working fast food. At least he might get some benefits. Independent truckers are almost non-existent because they're being regulated and feed out of business. Only the largest companies can even stay afloat in this environment.

I haven't driven for many years but have maintained my CDL and all endorsements just in case. I'm retired so not in the job market but if I had to go back to work, if I couldn't find local hourly work, I'd rather be the Wally-World greeter than do OTR. It's not a lack of qualified drivers. The OTR companies are still paying 1980s wages and that's NOT adjusted for inflation.
Right on the money, after 40 years and counting, I wish I had been a dish washer.

Old 10-21-2011, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
I'm not scared to live in a nation full of Mexicans that can vote. That doesn't bother me at all. Hell, i've lived in this country for 46 years as a black man, and it's been majority white the whole time. Those white folks have a vote too! If i can live with that, why can't i live with a growing Hispanic population?

I'm not a bigot. Makes me no nevermind what the racial composition of this country is.
Right on.

Old 10-21-2011, 01:06 PM

33,571 posts, read 18,170,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Look, i'm sympathetic to your view, but i just don't see it that way. Every ethnic group in history that came here in droves scared the hell out of the rest of the country. The difference this time is that this wave has more melanin than the previous ones. But at the end of the day, the country is resilient and will persevere regardless.

Again, i've lived under white domination of the country as a black man, and i've done ok. Why should i fear Mexicans? Hell, looking back over American history, seems to me that i should have a lot more to fear from white folks moreso than anyone else. Now let me make it quite clear that i have no such fears....i'm simply not a fearful person. But if i'm gonna fear anyone, i can make a better case to fear other ethnic groups moreso than Hispanics.
I don't know why you would fear white folks.. 99% or more probably never did one mean thing to a black person... actually I have seen it the other way around.. black on white aggression. I never did a mean thing to anyone and surely wouldn't think of doing anything to anyone black.

The fear I have is not for myself , it is for my fellow Americans who are now living in the woods, sleeping in their cars and have no jobs. This country is doing the American people a disservice by allowing all these illegals coming here , taking free hand outs and milk the system . They send their money home because working in a factory in Mexico will pay $2 and here if they make $10 dollars it is five times the amount they make back home... If someone here made $10 and went to Canada and made $50 dollars an hour they would be making big money. $400 dollars a day would look good to most people. The illegals will live in the woods for that kind of money or crowd into a rental to pay small overhead to save for the good life back home. They will continue to do just that and have been coming over the border for years.

19% of the workers of the housing boom in NJ were illegals .Now they will take over jobs in the trucking industry. They took billions each year out of NJ state and into Mexico. Our economy is supporting Mexico.. no wonder our economy is dieing. That is because of trade deficits and money going to Mexico. The money is leaving our country in many ways.

10 reasons to oppose illegal immigration protection policies
Almost 22 trillion dollars have been wired to Mexico since 1996 (ImmigrationCounters.com, accessed 2/26/2007).

Old 10-21-2011, 02:13 PM

272 posts, read 208,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter
I'm not scared to live in a nation full of Mexicans that can vote. That doesn't bother me at all.

Until they start breaking into your house/car when they can't find work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies