Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2011, 08:58 AM

272 posts, read 208,897 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackwatch View Post
I guess you don't know Obama had NOTHING to do with this, or the power to stop it from happening.

I believe all the Congress needs to do is repeal all aspects of the NAFTA agreement.
Ya'll call your Congressperson TODAY to get started.
Obama can still do something. he still has veto power.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2011, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
There is a simple solution to this problem. Make it so it costs these foreign companies more than it is worth to drive through the US. Sabotage their trucks, slash their tires, put sugar or mothballs in the gas tank, etc., etc. If they cannot deliver their goods, how long do you think they will make the attempt?
You stole my thunder. I just posted something similar. good point.

Old 10-20-2011, 09:05 AM

13,703 posts, read 9,034,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gametime View Post
Obama can still do something. he still has veto power.

Hmm. So the President has the power to veto legislation signed into law by previous Presidents? Interesting.

Old 10-20-2011, 09:05 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,855,481 times
So how could this administration repeal the treaty? How is this done? Which branch starts the process?

Old 10-20-2011, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
Hmm. So the President has the power to veto legislation signed into law by previous Presidents? Interesting.
Which is why I'm not a Politician

BUT he can still do something, you can't sit there and tell me he can't

Old 10-20-2011, 09:10 AM

13,621 posts, read 12,747,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Mark this day folks. We missed the others because we weren't paying attention. But now we know better. Watch the downfall happen before our very eyes.

1st Mexican truck to cross Texas border for U.S. interior Friday (http://www.statesman.com/news/nation/1st-mexican-truck-to-cross-texas-border-for-1923947.html?cxtype=rss_news - broken link)
Washington on Friday approved the first Mexican trucking company, Transportes Olympic, nearly two decades after that provision of the 1994 North American Free Trade Agreement set off lawsuits and a costly trade dispute.
Transportes Olympic employees were busy Wednesday finishing the preparations for its historic maiden trip.
The long-haul truck will cross the border Friday at Laredo and head about 450 miles north to Garland to deliver industrial equipment, said Guillermo Perez, transport manager at the firm in the Monterrey suburb of Apodaca.

they say"> it's going to save big corpse big money,!!!>> but do you actually think big corpse will pass the savings on to the consuming sheoples not a fat chance in hell..!!!

another nail in the coffin for america....

Old 10-20-2011, 09:19 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,959,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
No problemo.
I'm sure the mexican truckers are as up on vehicle maintenance and driving skills as our own lol.
they can't be much worse than some of the doped up truck drivers you see now days o highways.

Old 10-20-2011, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
they can't be much worse than some of the doped up truck drivers you see now days o highways.
you missed the point totally.

I guess since we're allowing Mexico to truck on thru, we can go ahead and let China truck on thru with Missles on board.

Old 10-20-2011, 09:42 AM

13,703 posts, read 9,034,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gametime View Post
Which is why I'm not a Politician

BUT he can still do something, you can't sit there and tell me he can't

I have given this some little thought (since I am at work, although with the news coming fast and furious today, I am being a bit lax).

The President has the power to negotiate treaties, with the advise and consent of the Senate.

Hence, I assume that the President could enter into negotiations with Mexico (and Canada) with the purpose of either amending the treaty, or getting those two countries to agree to nullify the treaty. Again, the Senate must approve any final agreement.

The President cannot unilaterally void a valid treaty. As Groucho Marx would say "Of course, you realize this means War!" if he tried to do so, and then everyone would start singing and dancing.

Of course, the United States has ignored or broken many treaties, although usually with native American tribes.

I guess that President Obama could have continued trying to delay the full implementation of the NAFTA accord. However, I believe that the Mexican government has agreed to the many rules imposed on their truckers for crossing our border.

I hope one rule involves prohibiting the dangerous 'triple trailer' that is so common in Mexico (i.e., a cab pulling three large cargo containers, an 'eighteen wheeler' times three). Sure, you can haul a lot of stuff, but that third trailer tends to whirl about with the slightest wind.

I imagine a lot of US businesses are quite pleased at this latest development, since now they will be able to quickly and affordably get their goods, made in Mexico, up here. Look for the price of Chickets to go down soon!

Old 10-20-2011, 09:47 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,520,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
How do they handle the licensing requirements? Not sure which is more strict Canadian or US but for example in the US if you have a CDL you also need medical card. For hazmat you need to retest for the license, if you're driving a tanker you need tanker endorsement etc.

The trucks can be inspected but if Mexico is handing out licenses in Cracker Jack boxes....

Whooeee! On this one I'll chime in. While NOT a professional or commercial carrier, BUT a recreational RV retired winter snowbird for any number of years travelling into the U.S. southwest, predominantly Yuma, Az.

My 5th wheel RV trailer was larger and had a GVWR of 20,000lbs so I elected to order an International 4400 configured as a class 6 and custom built to haul my harley in a barn behind the cab.

Truck required a full commercial operator's registration (CVOR) here in Canada as the only trucks exempt are pick-ups NOT used for commercial enterprises. This means the truck was required to have an ANNUAL safety AND emissions inspection by Government authorized inspection stations. A complete inspection not just a lookover! Refusal to perform maintenance to pass means the truck doesn't turn a wheel!

Emissions test includes probes up the pipe and as many as NINE full throttle "snaps" to test emissions coming out the pipe. My truck due to it being new and used for "light duty", routinely passed in 3 "snaps".

The truck had full Air Brakes (not hydraulic over) so required a "Z" endoresement to my license which in turn required me to perform the full commercial exam as though I were towing an air brake equipped trailer as well at the time (early 04). My A-CDL here in Canada required my keeping of logs and daily inspection records to be available should I ever be stopped while travelling bob-tail as when I was hooked to my "personal use house trailer" I would be exempt from the log keeping.

Now here's the deal about Canada versus the U.S.: living in southern Ontario Canada I was stopped no less than 4 times and required to show ALL my up-to-date certifactions and license on my travels from my home to the border on my way out of Canada BUT NOT ONCE IN ALL MY YEARS OF TRAVEL IN ANY OF THE STATES WAS I GIVEN A SECOND GLANCE!!!

Attaining age 65 mean't I was obligated to have full medical annually by a government specified medical examiner and NOT just by my GP. I was required to perform the full A-CDL plus air brake, exam and driven part, annually as well.

These are all the parts required by Canadian truckers operating in commerce above AND below the 49th.

That aforementioned CVOR registration required me as an owner operater to fill out a yearly audit report on my vehicle stating mileage travelled the current year and porjected mileage expected to be travelled the folloing year and if the two didn't jibe you got a formal audit. Any vehicles operating under this certificate are required to have ALL the drivers listed along with their qualifications and the certificate (CVOR) can be yanked if just one of the drivers of any of the fleets trucks has had a number of serious infractions so ALL trucks of the fleet operator's up here can be shut down if just ONE of the driver's of any of those trucks is suspect.

All maintenance and operator's infractions are audited on a yearly basis to qualify for that CVOR.

I was just hauling my RV and putting on less than 10K miles a year and had to subscribe to ALL of the above.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies