Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2011, 09:04 AM

29,407 posts, read 22,017,439 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebnllnb View Post
Not without cause. Do you think it is reasonable for police to hold someone for 36 hours for walking through a park after dark?
I would have to know the entire situation not some new article and quotes from the detained. I do know it's not reasonable to trespass and not reasonable to provide proper ID like her friend did. That is all I know. The rest is a bunch of whining from her about jailers and treatment etc. I'm guessing she threw a big stink about it and the cops got fed up and took her downtown. That is a guess though as like I said we don't know all the details.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2011, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Well -- I think it had more to do with her being in a park after hours. I know around here many people don't want parks put in their neighborhoods because they can attract vagrants and gang types. People don't want parks around unless something is done about those who would take them over - especially at night.

I don't especially like it that way, I myself might want to camp out -- with a tent and bonfire in a park and I'm not allowed to do so. My own kid got picked up because he was in a park at 11:05pm when the park closed at 11:00pm but he had ID and was underaged so I had to go pick him up. The reason is that the people living near the park want the police to keep people out of it at night.

If this woman was mugged or raped by some other park inhabitant at 3 am, she'd herself demand better policing of that park.
Good point. I told my friend along the same lines when he was howling about these protestor folks. I told him to go camp out at the park a few block from our house and see how long till the cops come tell him to leave. Hell you gotta pay to camp out at the lake. They may have thought she was a hooker and he a john for all we know and when they asked she went ballistic. Who knows. Common sense prevails until a howler wants to raise a stink.

Old 11-03-2011, 09:07 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,805,597 times
"Papers, please."

Freedom is generally lost in little steps. This is a big step.

Old 11-03-2011, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebnllnb View Post
So jailing a citizen for 36 hours for being disrespectful (if she was) is reasonable? If cops did this every time someone gave them lip they'd get nothing done.
That is why they don't do this every time. She picked the wrong time to get mouthy it appears.

Old 11-03-2011, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60sfemi View Post
Not to mention a nice juicy lawsuit!
Gets you frothing at the mouth it appears. Lawsuit for what? I was trespassing so I'm gonna sue? Yeah get a lawyer to sue for that one. Oops John Edwards is already in enough trouble.

Old 11-03-2011, 09:26 AM

31,292 posts, read 20,753,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
It wasn't 3 days. It was a 1 1/2 days. There are 24 hours in a day, not 12. The police have the right to detain you for up to 48 hours without being charged with anything. Learn the laws. And they DO have a reason to detain you if you fail to identify yourself or have been misbehaving.

So you agree with holding this woman for that period of time just for not having her ID? A reasonable cop would have taken her back to her room to get her ID. That would have saved lots of angst among all involved.

Your support for over aggressive LE power is astounding.

Old 11-03-2011, 09:28 AM

16,545 posts, read 13,459,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
So you agree with holding this woman for that period of time just for not having her ID? A reasonable cop would have taken her back to her room to get her ID. That would have saved lots of angst among all involved.

Your support for over aggressive LE power is astounding.
She obviously made no attempt to tell them who she was either. If you have no ID on you when a cop asks, all you have to do is give your name, address and SS number if they ask. They can validate that info. See how easy that is? Also, it's not the police's job to drive her to her house to get the ID, they rarely if ever do that.

Old 11-03-2011, 09:29 AM

36,539 posts, read 30,885,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 60sfemi View Post
In what state? As this is a states rights issue we're speaking of. Not federal. In what state allows someone to be taken off the streets simply for not having an ID? I almost never have an ID with me, as my husband often drives, do I now have to worry that someone will haul me to jail because I don't have ID....even if I was "misbehaving". If I were doing something criminal....then yes even if I DID have ID....but for "misbehaving" whaaat? Does that really sound logical to you....and if its happening in YOUR state, you had best be writing your congresspeople, your representative, your mayor and your governor and get that stopped

From the NYT 1991:
Quote:

The Supreme Court ruled today that people who are arrested without a warrant may be imprisoned for as long as 48 hours while awaiting a judicial determination of whether the arrest was proper.

Most states appear to have handled probable-cause determinations more expeditiously than the Court required today. New York law, as interpreted by the state courts, forbids a delay of more than 24 hours from arrest to arraignment

While those states are now theoretically free to relax their current procedures, there is no indication of widespread eagerness to do so.

Tresspass is a bit more than misbehaving. And failure to idendify is not the same as not having an ID.

Old 11-03-2011, 09:33 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,805,597 times
I am amused that the same conservatives the cry about lost freedom also support the "authorites" when a citizen refuses to cooperate. The conservatives do not care about freedom they only care about control over anyone they fear.

Old 11-03-2011, 09:36 AM

16,545 posts, read 13,459,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I am amused that the same conservatives the cry about lost freedom also support the "authorites" when a citizen refuses to cooperate. The conservatives do not care about freedom they only care about control over anyone they fear.
There are laws, you have to obey them or suffer the consequences. There is not a damned thing you can do about it but pay the price.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies