Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2011, 08:28 AM

511 posts, read 2,451,695 times

Advertisements

I live in the Washington DC area and was driving through Southern Prince George's County and noticed one thing. Nearly everyone in this town (Suitland MD) was Black. I went into a large shopping center and pretty much everyone was Black.

On a business trip out to the San Jose CA area I walked into a large mall and EVERYONE was Asian. I asked about it to the people I worked with in the area and they said," Isn't that exciting, so many people from all over the world are moving to San Jose!" But I got myself in trouble with the politically correct police when I asked why they were all living together in one town, or on one side of town instead of mixing with the American born blacks and whites.

The general feeling is it is perfectly fine when Blacks, Hispanic or Asian immigrants all live in one community or neighborhood but if white people do it it is racist. Why?

Last edited by Workaholic?; 11-04-2011 at 08:44 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2011, 08:29 AM

3,457 posts, read 3,624,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workaholic? View Post
Why?
Because the people you work with are stupid?

seriously, that's all i can glean from the story. The only "conflict" here lies within your acquaintances and the things they say.

Old 11-04-2011, 08:31 AM

11,531 posts, read 10,295,442 times
Quote:
I live in the Washington DC area and was driving through Southern Prince George's County and noticed one thing. Nearly everyone in this town (Suitland MD) was Black. I went into a large shopping center and pretty much everyone was Black.

On a business trip out to the San Jose CA area I walked into a large mall and EVERYONE was Asian. I asked about it to the people I worked with in the area and they said," Isn't that exciting, so many people from all over the world are moving to San Jose!" But I got myself in trouble with the politically correct police when I asked why they were all living together in one town or on one side of town instead of mixing with the American born blacks and whites.

The general feeling is it is perfectly fine when Blacks, Hispanic or Asian immigrants all live in one community or neighborhood but if white people do it it is racist. Why?
I have Italian American friends who live in Italian American neighborhoods and no one has called them racist. Oh wait, do you even consider Italians to be White? Perhaps not.

Old 11-04-2011, 08:35 AM

23,566 posts, read 17,241,593 times
The ethnic diversity in white neighborhoods would make your head spin.

The usage of 'ethnic' has morphed into meaning homogenous enclaves of migrants from a single country who have not yet assimilated into the American culture. Has nothing to do with 'race'.

Old 11-04-2011, 08:36 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,449,435 times
if they move in its gentrification if they move out its white flight
does not seem to matter, wasp is wrong.
did charlton heston make a film about this?

Old 11-04-2011, 08:41 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,830,565 times
Quote:

On a business trip out to the San Jose CA area I walked into a large mall and EVERYONE was Asian. I asked about it to the people I worked with in the area and they said," Isn't that exciting, so many people from all over the world are moving to San Jose!" But I got myself in trouble with the politically correct police when I asked why they were all living together in one town or on one side of town instead of mixing with the American born blacks and whites.

Without a perspective, such ideas are idiotic. For example, many of my relatives, with German lineage, live in the Hill Country (Texas) which has a substantial German culture. I've Welsh lineage and it doesn't take much for me to enjoy a bit of German ethnic ways when visiting that part of Texas. But hey, unlike you, I don't think it boils down to color of the skin. It would make for a disgusting monotony if everything looked, felt and tasted the same. At least that is my take on it.

Old 11-04-2011, 08:51 AM

39,875 posts, read 26,526,580 times
Alot of this "ethnic enclave" stuff makes no sense to me. The area where I grew up (western New York) had this to a significant extent in the larger cities. There were areas that were heavily Italian, Polish, German, etc. I might understand some of this for first generation immigrants, or those "just off the boat" as it were. There might be some comfort in a common language or background (which provides a means to avoid assimilation into your "new" culture). After that, who the heck cares? I'm not sure of my ancestory,and really don't care. I'm an American, not an Irish-American, English-American or any other hyphenated crap. Why would someone go out of their way to celebrate the birthplace of their ancestors? You didn't determine where they were born. You are what YOU make of yourself, you're not limited by where your ancestors were born.

This seems to be much more of an urban thing, and perhaps more common in older cities. I don't see this to a major extent in much of the west, in smaller areas.

Old 11-04-2011, 08:54 AM

1,067 posts, read 1,740,351 times
Quote:

On a business trip out to the San Jose CA area I walked into a large mall and EVERYONE was Asian. I asked about it to the people I worked with in the area and they said," Isn't that exciting, so many people from all over the world are moving to San Jose!" But I got myself in trouble with the politically correct police when I asked why they were all living together in one town, or on one side of town instead of mixing with the American born blacks and whites.

Because whites are the majority? Simple math. With whites peoples history, I would be ashamed to be called racist if I were white. There are still tons of white neighborhoods and no one is complaining about them. Why do people always complain about black neighborhoods. Why are white people afraid to go to black neighborhoods?

Old 11-04-2011, 08:59 AM

511 posts, read 2,451,695 times
If a neighborhood in California which is only 40% white was almost all white people, people would complain it was not diverse enough or even use the the word racist. But Daly City can be 90% Asian and it is not racist or wrong? Why?

Old 11-04-2011, 09:01 AM

525 posts, read 900,074 times
If race is an issue it's because you are a racist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies