Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2011, 12:15 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,544,412 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Workaholic? View Post
Then why are all the Fillipino's living close together in that town? Shouldn't they live in a happy diverse community like us white people are told to do?

You were told that you couldn't live somewhere? or where you told that you couldn't keep others that choose to live in that neighborhood out?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2011, 12:19 PM

2,472 posts, read 3,199,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
Yes it does, too.......
I don't doubt it, maybe my optimism was getting in the way.

Old 11-04-2011, 12:22 PM

12,950 posts, read 13,352,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Maybe where you live.

Whites sure aren't the majority in Texas anymore. Hispanics are.

That is incorrect.

According to the 2010 US Census:

45+% of Texas is white.
37+% of Texas is Latino (or "Hispanic").

Of course, since Latinos are more prolific lovers than us palefaces, those numbers will be reversed in the next decade or two.

Old 11-04-2011, 12:25 PM

12,950 posts, read 13,352,455 times
As for the original post's idea,, I would've worded it differently:

Why are all white neighborhoods considered to be segregated, and all black or all brown ones not?

Old 11-04-2011, 12:29 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,830,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post

Why are all white neighborhoods considered to be segregated, and all black or all brown ones not?
White neighborhoods and segregation became synonymous with protectionism of "White Race" that many are still preaching. I haven't seen any such neighborhoods, in any color, in person. There are neighborhoods dominated by certain race/ethnicity but, again, I've not seen such protectionism in my lifetime. Although I have read and heard that as late as in the 1990s there were locales within Dallas that were meant to be exclusively White. And if there are designed to be exclusive for certain race/ethnicity, it is still segregation, no matter the skin color, or ethnicity.

Old 11-04-2011, 12:41 PM

1,062 posts, read 1,128,169 times
Quote:
I live in the Washington DC area and was driving through Southern Prince George's County and noticed one thing. Nearly everyone in this town (Suitland MD) was Black. I went into a large shopping center and pretty much everyone was Black.

On a business trip out to the San Jose CA area I walked into a large mall and EVERYONE was Asian. I asked about it to the people I worked with in the area and they said," Isn't that exciting, so many people from all over the world are moving to San Jose!" But I got myself in trouble with the politically correct police when I asked why they were all living together in one town, or on one side of town instead of mixing with the American born blacks and whites.

The general feeling is it is perfectly fine when Blacks, Hispanic or Asian immigrants all live in one community or neighborhood but if white people do it it is racist. Why?

No it's not fine . I talk about this with other blacks as much as I can . The "black neighborhood" is repressive . Look at the test scores for black children living near less blacks , much improved . Wages and lifestyle improved also.
The government housing ( voting block - grant fetcher ) is a way to get funds in the politicians hands to be pocketed .
It seems to me keeping the large groups of blacks from moving up in society with more earned wages would hurt many race baiting , class warfare politicians.

Natives (Indians) have the same problems . No jobs on the reservation and its hard to give up your free house and culture by departing the reservation.

Old 11-04-2011, 12:46 PM

242 posts, read 235,763 times
Quote:
I live in the Washington DC area and was driving through Southern Prince George's County and noticed one thing. Nearly everyone in this town (Suitland MD) was Black. I went into a large shopping center and pretty much everyone was Black.

On a business trip out to the San Jose CA area I walked into a large mall and EVERYONE was Asian. I asked about it to the people I worked with in the area and they said," Isn't that exciting, so many people from all over the world are moving to San Jose!" But I got myself in trouble with the politically correct police when I asked why they were all living together in one town, or on one side of town instead of mixing with the American born blacks and whites.

The general feeling is it is perfectly fine when Blacks, Hispanic or Asian immigrants all live in one community or neighborhood but if white people do it it is racist. Why?

ur earlier thread was about how america was 91% white in 1960, you must be a member of stormfront, sorry the US is not as white as you want it to be

Old 11-04-2011, 01:19 PM

4,593 posts, read 9,202,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post

I beg to differ. Not in Chicago

Old 11-04-2011, 01:35 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,830,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHartphotog View Post
I once knew an African American lawyer and university professor who told me that he would be more comfortable living in a neighborhood surrounded by people of his own race, but he had grown up in such neighborhoods and had chosen instead to now raise his family among people in his income bracket, because his family would not be safe as the only financially successful African American in an area of poverty and high crime.
I would like to know what area of the country that this black person was looking for a home in. There have always been traditional, all black neighborhoods with wealthy or middle class residents. It is usually thought though that an all black area = unsafe. I am looking at a neighborhood here in Atlanta that is considered unsafe for our next home (our actual neighborhood now has a few white residents and is actually rather unsafe). There are good deals in the neighborhood with beautiful, large homes, professional people in the neighborhood (over 95% black people) and very low crime. Wanted to also note that I would rather not live in this area because it is further than I would like to be from my job (8 miles, I live 2 miles from my job now) but if I move in a similar neighborhood that is more "diverse" with white people in it, I will have to pay more money and have to endure more unsafe-ness and I am cheap primarily so I will move in the black neighborhood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyDay View Post
You are completely overlooking Polish, Jewish, Irish, Czech and Italian enclaves in many major cities.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoland60426 View Post
I beg to differ. Not in Chicago

ITA with both of the above. I am from the Midwest. My mom bought a house in 1996 in the "Polish Village." No one has ever called the Polish Village racist. There are lots of Lituanian, Czech, Italian, Irish, Polish, German, and so on from European neighborhoods across this country.

No one has told anyone not to live somewhere that is majority white. No one calls these neighborhood racist (if they are not crazy people that is). For you to think that this exists, makes me question your own sanity.

Old 11-04-2011, 01:51 PM

3,860 posts, read 8,455,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
White is the same as Caucasian.

Italians are not all White. In fact, some look like light skin Mexicans.
Hi! Welcome to 2011. Most Italians are considered to be fully white in America. I hear the Irish are all white too.

And what's even more surprising is the fact that some Mexicans are fully white! Amaaazing!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies