Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2011, 09:02 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,427,122 times

Advertisements

Suitland used to be almost all white and PG was mostly white and rural about 40 years ago.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/...1TM_story.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Workaholic? View Post
I live in the Washington DC area and was driving through Southern Prince George's County and noticed one thing. Nearly everyone in this town (Suitland MD) was Black. I went into a large shopping center and pretty much everyone was Black.

On a business trip out to the San Jose CA area I walked into a large mall and EVERYONE was Asian. I asked about it to the people I worked with in the area and they said," Isn't that exciting, so many people from all over the world are moving to San Jose!" But I got myself in trouble with the politically correct police when I asked why they were all living together in one town, or on one side of town instead of mixing with the American born blacks and whites.

The general feeling is it is perfectly fine when Blacks, Hispanic or Asian immigrants all live in one community or neighborhood but if white people do it it is racist. Why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2011, 09:08 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,830,565 times
Quote:
If a neighborhood in California which is only 40% white was almost all white people, people would complain it was not diverse enough or even use the the word racist. But Daly City can be 90% Asian and it is not racist or wrong? Why?
Can a place be white and diverse? Or, does diversity to you only imply the color of the skin?

Old 11-04-2011, 09:08 AM

20,702 posts, read 12,542,103 times
I thought that people could live wherever they choose to.

Old 11-04-2011, 09:10 AM

5,513 posts, read 5,243,362 times
Quote:
I live in the Washington DC area and was driving through Southern Prince George's County and noticed one thing. Nearly everyone in this town (Suitland MD) was Black. I went into a large shopping center and pretty much everyone was Black.

On a business trip out to the San Jose CA area I walked into a large mall and EVERYONE was Asian. I asked about it to the people I worked with in the area and they said," Isn't that exciting, so many people from all over the world are moving to San Jose!" But I got myself in trouble with the politically correct police when I asked why they were all living together in one town, or on one side of town instead of mixing with the American born blacks and whites.

The general feeling is it is perfectly fine when Blacks, Hispanic or Asian immigrants all live in one community or neighborhood but if white people do it it is racist. Why?
I once knew an African American lawyer and university professor who told me that he would be more comfortable living in a neighborhood surrounded by people of his own race, but he had grown up in such neighborhoods and had chosen instead to now raise his family among people in his income bracket, because his family would not be safe as the only financially successful African American in an area of poverty and high crime.

Of course, that was 20 years ago and the Middle Class (primarily white) has been significantly reduced in wealth and size: "the net worth of the middle fifth of American households has plunged by 26% in the last two years. Or that the income of the median American family, adjusted for inflation, is lower now than in 1998...Proctor & Gamble, it transpires, is cutting back on marketing to the disappearing middle classes, instead selling more and more to either high-income or low-income customers and abandoning the middle....there is even a word for this strategy: the Consumer Hourglass Theory – because it denotes a society that bulges at the top and bottom and is squeezed in the middle." The decline and fall of the American middle class | Paul Harris | Comment is free | guardian.co.uk

I have a feeling that the liberal dream of truly integrated neighborhoods will either succeed or fail in the coming years and decades, not because minorities have finally achieved Middle Class incomes, but because the ultra-rich in America have finally achieved their goal of reducing the white American Middle Class to the hard-working poverty typical of new immigrants and the generational poor.

Old 11-04-2011, 09:18 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,663,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHartphotog View Post
I once knew an African American lawyer and university professor who told me that he would be more comfortable living in a neighborhood surrounded by people of his own race, but he had grown up in such neighborhoods and had chosen instead to now raise his family among people in his income bracket, because his family would not be safe as the only financially successful African American in an area of poverty and high crime.

Of course, that was 20 years ago and the Middle Class (primarily white) has been significantly reduced in wealth and size: "the net worth of the middle fifth of American households has plunged by 26% in the last two years. Or that the income of the median American family, adjusted for inflation, is lower now than in 1998...Proctor & Gamble, it transpires, is cutting back on marketing to the disappearing middle classes, instead selling more and more to either high-income or low-income customers and abandoning the middle....there is even a word for this strategy: the Consumer Hourglass Theory – because it denotes a society that bulges at the top and bottom and is squeezed in the middle." The decline and fall of the American middle class | Paul Harris | Comment is free | guardian.co.uk

I have a feeling that the liberal dream of truly integrated neighborhoods will either succeed or fail in the coming years and decades, not because minorities have finally achieved Middle Class incomes, but because the ultra-rich in America have finally achieved their goal of reducing the white American Middle Class to the hard-working poverty typical of new immigrants and the generational poor.
If you think the ultra-rich are just targeting the white middle class in America, you are insane. If anyone needs to be worried within the middle class about losing ground, it's black people. Blacks have moved into the middle class post-WWII largely because of government employment, as corporate America still discriminates strongly against blacks, especially black men. So when the Republicans have targeted and continue to target government, it is blacks who lose opportunity more than any group. So don't worry. Whites don't have as much to lose as Blacks do.

Old 11-04-2011, 09:25 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,830,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHartphotog View Post

Okay, so we have whites, non-whites and ultra-rich at war. Interesting point of view from a self-proclaimed libertarian.

Old 11-04-2011, 10:24 AM

2,674 posts, read 4,395,125 times
Quote:

You are completely overlooking Polish, Jewish, Irish, Czech and Italian enclaves in many major cities.

Old 11-04-2011, 10:26 AM

2,674 posts, read 4,395,125 times
Pretty soon diversity will be devoid of color/race and all we'll talk about it economic diversity.

Old 11-04-2011, 10:34 AM

2,472 posts, read 3,199,324 times
I don't see what the problem is here. I've never heard anyone say a large white neighborhood is wrong. What is wrong, though, was redlining: preventing people of color with the economic status from moving to wealthier neighborhoods, which usually tend to have more white people.

This doesn't happen anymore, but if there was maybe an old bitter man whose opportunities were limited due to societal ignorance. I can see how this man would still be bitter today, but that is not a lot of people. So what's the problem? Do you only hang out with old people? Lol.

Old 11-04-2011, 10:39 AM

1,022 posts, read 2,552,437 times
Quote:

Prince George's County is predominantly black, and the main reason for this is the white flight that began to occur 40+ years ago when whites refused mixing with blacks, selling their homes when blacks began moving in out of fear of falling property values, and moving to nearby counties (look at the race demographics of Montgomery, Anne Arundel, and Fairfax Counties). So, PG's racial makeup did not become like that because blacks just wanted to live next to each other, not nearly as much as it had to do with whites not wanting to live anywhere near blacks.

Same thing happened in Baltimore, as blacks began moving out of the city and whites moved further away. Look at Woodlawn and Randallstown, and even parts of Owings Mills which are predominantly black. These are all evidence of "white flight".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies