Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Atheists/Agnostics: Do You Celebrate Christmas?
I am an atheist and I do celebrate Christmas 36 39.13%
I am an atheist and I do not celebrate Christmas 10 10.87%
I am agnostic and I do celebrate Christmas 41 44.57%
I am agnostic and I do not celebrate Christmas 5 5.43%
Voters: 92. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2011, 11:39 PM

8,762 posts, read 11,570,445 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocLot View Post
Do you have proof of this...Christians celebrating Halloween?
If Christian go out and trick or treat, are they Pagans?

If they harmless go out and collect candy, it is a fun tradition. Just like Christmas.

Make sense now?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2011, 11:39 PM

3,516 posts, read 6,780,102 times
Quote:
Do you have proof of this...Christians celebrating Halloween?
Teehee, yeah, I do. What a silly question.

But answer my question. Are these christians who celebrate Halloween hypocrites, or just enjoying an American cultural tradition?

Old 12-04-2011, 11:40 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,124,502 times
Quote:
You say Hanukkah is not a big deal because to US Jews it's not a big deal. Does that mean you think Christmas is a big deal to Christians?

Doesn't matter about commercialization. It does not negate the fact that Christmas is a Christian holiday that signifies the birth of Christ. Will you deny this?
To all Jewish people it's not a big deal. Hanukkah just isn't an important religious holiday to Jewish people. It's the biggest one we hear about due to an attempt to commercialize it. But it's very low on the list of Jewish holidays.

Christmas, however, is on the top (or near top) of Christian holidays.

I'm not denying that the roots of Christmas is the celebration of the birth of Christ. However, in the United States, it's just a holiday where Santa drops off gifts under a tree and we eat lots of good food. Christians add their religious bits on top of that.

Old 12-04-2011, 11:41 PM

9,138 posts, read 5,799,525 times
I betcha they accept their Christmas bonuses.

Old 12-04-2011, 11:42 PM

30,311 posts, read 51,917,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
As I mentioned in my earlier post, Hanukkah has not been commercialized and turned into a social holiday. That's why majority of Americans don't adopt it. The reason for this is because there's practically no Jewish people in the United States to pass the culture onto Americans. Also, for the Jewish people here, it's not an important holiday. Many don't make a bid deal of it.
Yes, exactly. If we had a holiday as BIG, commercialized, and commonly celebrated (in sheer numbers) as Christmas, I'm sure many non-Jews would choose to join in on the fun too. As it is, Chanukah is a minor holiday to even the Jewish folks, and will never reach the commercial "success" of Christmas - thank goodness.

Quote:
Do you eat Bagels? Why? Bagels are a Jewish custom and you are Christians. It's a stupid argument, but it's one you're trying to use.
Good analogy, LOL. Lots of Gentiles also use common Yiddish words, like schlep, nosh, klutz, yenta, etc, sometimes without even knowing the definition. Why? Because these words have reached popular/commercial culture, and have thus been adopted by people of all religious & cultural backgrounds.

Old 12-04-2011, 11:44 PM

30,311 posts, read 51,917,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speleothem View Post
I betcha they accept their Christmas bonuses.
People still get those things? I most certainly don't, and never have, since I've mostly worked in public service jobs... and seeing as these cities/counties are barely staying afloat right now, they definitely aren't handing out any bonuses! I'm just grateful my paychecks don't bounce, LOL.

Old 12-05-2011, 12:06 AM

8,762 posts, read 11,570,445 times
Uh oh...

Where is ChocLot?

Old 12-05-2011, 12:18 AM

15,061 posts, read 8,624,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnexpectedError View Post
Dude (or dudette, I don't know), most of the christmas traditions were adapted from pagan rituals. They really have nothing to do with christianity. It's just a fun tradition.
Actually, that's only a partial truth. Wanna know the real scoop?

In the early days of Christianity, it was not good to be a Christian. They were an outlawed group, highly persecuted in the roman empire, until much later when Rome adopted Christianity as the State Religion.

Prior to that, Rome celebrated Saturnalia in late December ... the worship of Saturn .. the Sun God ... most certainly a pagan ritual celebration of the Winter Solstice, which included decorating homes and gift giving and feasts.

Christians, being an outlawed group couldn't exactly have their own holiday celebration of the birth of Christ openly for obvious reasons, which was understood to be not during winter, as the telling of Christ's birth (in a manger) included language of shepherds attending their flocks all night ... suggests a much earlier date of birth, likely summer or early fall. But in order to celebrate Christ's birth (son of God), they conjoined their celebration of Christ with the traditional Roman Holiday of Saturnalia .. the worship of the Sun God, during the same period and observing the same basic traditions for their safety.

So it's really not a stolen holiday as much as it was a piggy back on the pagan worship of the Sun God, stealthily concealed within that existing Holiday for safety reasons. The adopted traditions stuck, and remained a part of the Christmas celebration thereafter.

So, Christmas has always been a Christian Holiday celebrating the birth of Christ ... and openly so since the 5th Century. Prior to that, it was still a celebration of Christ's birth, concealed within the celebration of Saturnalia.

Old 12-05-2011, 12:19 AM

15,700 posts, read 17,036,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
Uh oh...

Where is ChocLot?
Ummm.....he had to go wrap some I-Pods, ya know, in honor of the birth of Christ.

Old 12-05-2011, 12:55 AM

46,943 posts, read 25,969,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
If you don't believe, why do you feel the need to tell Christians and Muslims that you don't believe? Seems you are still looking for some kind of approval.
When the thread headline is a question directed at agnostics/atheists, it's a little silly to show up to complain about agnostics/atheists verbalizing their stance. What did you expect?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies