Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2014, 01:46 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,894,931 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Something just hit me that probably should have hit me a long time ago.

The person buying steaks and lobster with food stamps is almost certainly gaming the system in other ways as well.

Food stamp recipients who are not gaming the system are not going to be able to afford to use their scarce food stamp resources on steak and lobster. (When I received food stamps my staple was boxed mac and cheese, I needed those food stamps to last the whole month.)

Common ways of such gaming include living unmarried with boyfriend (collecting other freebies, thus freeing up resources that can be used for food) and working under the table.
When food stamps are used productively people don't complain. I don't complain when I see people using them to buy milk, bread and staples. I do get upset when they are buying expensive foods or junk foods. I had friends getting food stamps and they got a low amount so it had to stretch.

Old 08-21-2014, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohky0815 View Post
so we all need to move to Illinois then?
Other states have it as well. In Illinois there is no excuse for the moochers not to work but they still find loopholes.

Old 08-21-2014, 05:16 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,740,361 times
No society ever thrived because it had a large and growing class of parasites living off those who produce.

I am so old that I can remember when other people's achievements were considered to be an inspiration, rather than a grievance.”
-- Thomas Sowell

Old 08-21-2014, 05:29 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,375,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
No society ever thrived because it had a large and growing class of parasites living off those who produce.

I am so old that I can remember when other people's achievements were considered to be an inspiration, rather than a grievance.”
-- Thomas Sowell
And no society will thrive if it allows a portion of its population to starve or suffer whilst those at the top are richer then they have ever been in that society.

I suppose if you dehumanize them enough with terms like "parasites" and "moochers" you might manage a final solution of some sort. Course it probably will be a shameful one. But hey don't let that stop you.

Old 08-21-2014, 05:41 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,119,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post

-- Thomas Sowell
Make capitalism work for America again..... Stop globalization and automation.

Old 08-21-2014, 05:43 PM

45,226 posts, read 26,450,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dv1033 View Post
Stifling trade and creativity has nothing to do with capitalism.

Old 08-21-2014, 05:45 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,375,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dv1033 View Post
Bwahahahahhaha

I can see methods of slowing globalization, but you're never going to stop automation. That genies out of the bottle.

link the definition of full time to the number of people as a % employed ages 18-62 and you could probably maintain employment for folks longer. But the country is going to change as automation and globalization continues.

Old 08-26-2014, 10:28 PM

3,022 posts, read 2,274,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idon'tdateyou View Post
When food stamps are used productively people don't complain. I don't complain when I see people using them to buy milk, bread and staples. I do get upset when they are buying expensive foods or junk foods. I had friends getting food stamps and they got a low amount so it had to stretch.
They only get a certain amount like your friend so who cares what food they buy?

Old 08-26-2014, 10:54 PM

4,299 posts, read 2,811,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idon'tdateyou View Post
If you are receiving welfare, you should take any job, otherwise you are lazy. I hated fast food too and it made me depressed but I did it because I refused to be a drain. Sorry but no one has the luxury to take only jobs they want, that is called being lazy.
It's not about being lazy, if anything I'm a workaholic. I do think I sleep too much. 8 hours a day is a waste of time and that doesn't even factor in the time I spend trying to go to sleep. Some people sleep only 5. I need to figure out their secret. I used to work all day on the computer. When I went on vacation earlier this year, I even did some surveys in the hotel. Nowadays I've cut back on the one site because I'd overdo that one which helped me get headaches but I get mad at myself on the few times I've taken a day off. I need a job that makes me feel like I'm worth something, otherwise it would almost be worse than the surveys I do at home.
If I do a job like that and I'm terrible, tell me how that is fair to the employer? They would be wasting all their time on me when I'm just sh*t.

Old 08-27-2014, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Eagle View Post
They only get a certain amount like your friend so who cares what food they buy?
Because it's my tax dollars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickchick View Post
It's not about being lazy, if anything I'm a workaholic. I do think I sleep too much. 8 hours a day is a waste of time and that doesn't even factor in the time I spend trying to go to sleep. Some people sleep only 5. I need to figure out their secret. I used to work all day on the computer. When I went on vacation earlier this year, I even did some surveys in the hotel. Nowadays I've cut back on the one site because I'd overdo that one which helped me get headaches but I get mad at myself on the few times I've taken a day off. I need a job that makes me feel like I'm worth something, otherwise it would almost be worse than the surveys I do at home.
If I do a job like that and I'm terrible, tell me how that is fair to the employer? They would be wasting all their time on me when I'm just sh*t.
If you are a workaholic why aren't you working? No one is terrible at fast food jobs, anyone can do them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies