Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2012, 11:09 AM

4,721 posts, read 5,311,334 times

Advertisements

When people quote from the Bible about homosexuality, they usually quote from the Old Testament. If we were to follow the Old Testament to the letter, we would stone women who sleep with someone other than their husband, we would pluck out our eye if it lusted, etc. etc. etc. There are also passages and verses about having more than one wive, marrying your brother's wife if he dies, and many other practices that we don't follow today. I don't see how we can pick and choose what to follow based on our own beliefs. Personally, I try to follow Jesus's teachings in the New Testament. He was loving and forgiving. I also was brought up to believe that a sin is sin. I know that I sin daily, and that I have no right to sit in judgement over others. All this being said, I do believe that people have the right to believe however they choose and to speak about it. I also believe that people have the right to not eat at a certain place. As for me, I will continue to eat at Chic Fil A, but I will aslo continue to live and let live.

Old 07-27-2012, 11:13 AM

6,486 posts, read 6,386,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
You don't call elected officials denying permits to build in "their" city a taking away of freedom of speech?
No. Why would I? Or do you think "speaking" and "selling" are synonyms?

(BTW, don't think I didn't notice that you - like all the others - couldn't justify the opinion that gays shouldn't be allowed to get married or raise children.)

Last edited by Vic 2.0; 07-27-2012 at 11:40 AM..

Old 07-27-2012, 11:16 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,291,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Leviticus 18:1-2 - Then the LORD spoke to Moses, saying, "Speak to the sons of Israel and say to them, `I am the LORD your God.

...same dialogue from the Lord...

Leviticus 18:22 - `You shall not lie with a male as one lies with a female; it is an abomination.'

You understand - the Lord did exist before the Gospel accounts...
Jesus never spoke to Moses. I asked for a quote from Jesus. Try again.

Assuming there is such a thing as "The Lord" (invisible man version), he/it also pre-dates written language. That means much of what is in the bible was pased down as stories people told each other, until writing was invented and the stories were written down. Also, these stories were passed down in a language other than english and only translater to english much later. Surely you know how that goes.

I could tell you a story and ask you to repeat it exactly to someone else, then have them repeat it exactly, and so on. By the time the third or fourth person told the story, the story would have significant mistakes in comparison to the original story. So why would it be any different for bible stories?

Old 07-27-2012, 11:31 AM

45,573 posts, read 27,164,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
Jesus never spoke to Moses. I asked for a quote from Jesus. Try again.

Assuming there is such a thing as "The Lord" (invisible man version), he/it also pre-dates written language. That means much of what is in the bible was pased down as stories people told each other, until writing was invented and the stories were written down. Also, these stories were passed down in a language other than english and only translater to english much later. Surely you know how that goes.

I could tell you a story and ask you to repeat it exactly to someone else, then have them repeat it exactly, and so on. By the time the third or fourth person told the story, the story would have significant mistakes in comparison to the original story. So why would it be any different for bible stories?
#1 - Your first statement is false.

Mark 9:4 - Elijah appeared to them along with Moses; and they were talking with Jesus.

#2 - Jesus not only predates Moses, but Abraham.

John 8:58 - Jesus said to them, "Truly, truly, I say to you, before Abraham was born, I am."

You want to define the terms of the discussion. You can't define the terms of the truth. I also understand that you are not equipped to fully understand.

Old 07-27-2012, 11:34 AM

667 posts, read 516,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
First, remember that you base your beliefs on the literal word of God and quote the Bible so you can't suddenly reach beyond the Bible when it doesn't contain phrases that endorse your personal beliefs.

Second, the Matthew 19:5 doesn't quote Jesus as denouncing homosexuality. That is your intrepretation of what Jesus stated.

The issue I have with the Bible (I've read and studied it) is that issues related to conduct and behavior were written by Saul/Paul, a person who never met Jesus and declared himself a prophet based on illusions/images he had while walking in the desert which makes him no different than the self titled prophets you see today. And his sudden "blindness" in the desert sounds like an episode of Conduct Disorder. I think if most people knew that Paul never met Jesus, they would probably view the Bible differently.

I believe in God and Jesus. I also believe in many books of the Bible but not the entire thing particularly the writings of Paul/Saul which is where I differ from most Evangelicals like yourself.
It is easy to take a position where you ask for an answer and then try to discredit the source, that you requested, and the interpration that does not meet your needs.

If you have an issue with the Bible then that makes justification of behavior much easier.

Old 07-27-2012, 11:38 AM

3,532 posts, read 6,422,991 times
Default Gays are turning Into Big Bullies regarding Chick Fil A.

Let's be mindful of the fact that everyone has the right to his or her opinion. I see the boycotting of Chick Fil A as a bullying tactic by the gays to silence people who aren't in agreement with the gay lifestyle or think that gay marriage is wrong. Let's face it, everyone is not going to agree on every issue, and that's what makes the USA great because we aren't killing each other about it yet.

When people like Chicago's mayor say that Chick fill a shouldn't open a business in his town, which can provide jobs, just because the CEO's OPINION about gay marriage isn't PC, that is wrong. Gays don't have to go to the restaurant if they don't agree with the CEO's opinion on gay marriage. But that doesn't mean that gays can stop that chain from operating businesses or opening up new businesses across this country for people who like their food or worse boycott the restaurant based on the CEO's opinion. It's unamerican.

Now if Chick Fil A discriminates against gays by not hiring them, not treating them the same as other customers, then I would agree with boycotting the restaurant in that case. Here are some questions to ponder and think about. Should democrats boycott all businesses that support republicans causes? Should women boycott businesses that support anti-abortion causes? Should blacks boycott business that have ties to the klu klux klan? Should non-smokers boycott businesses for supporting tabacco companies?

I see how the gay's agenda is clear, if you own a business, support anti-gay causes, some how that means that they business owner is racist or a bigot, and he shouldn't be in business anymore or be boycotted for having a different opinion. WOW!!!!!!! That's crazy to me. But again, this is my opinion too.

Last edited by antredd; 07-27-2012 at 11:49 AM..

Old 07-27-2012, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adiosToreador View Post
Yeah see your god said that, not Jesus.

Also - what does that have to do with civil, secular law? Religion has no place in it.

Not to mention -
You OK with murder? It is in the Bible... that makes it "religious" (cue the spooky music) ...

Old 07-27-2012, 11:41 AM

33,571 posts, read 18,152,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adiosToreador View Post
Yeah see your god said that, not Jesus.

Also - what does that have to do with civil, secular law? Religion has no place in it.

Not to mention -
Well, let's just let Nambla have their way too. National Association of Man Boy Love association. Let's just get completely immoral through our government. Let it be legal for all immoral activity regardless where or when or how. Let's just be like animals with no moral convictions and let it all be accepted , tolerated and held up as their right.

Old 07-27-2012, 11:42 AM

They were already bullies. Nothin new here - just a higher profile occurrence.

Old 07-27-2012, 11:44 AM

4,373 posts, read 3,228,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
You OK with murder? It is in the Bible... that makes it "religious" (cue the spooky music) ...
Murder is against the law, not because it's in the bible.

Again - what does religion have to do with secular law?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies