Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2012, 12:24 PM

11,412 posts, read 7,798,329 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Boycotting is not bullying. It's the free market at work.
I agree with you. A boycott is not a form of bullying.

Based on my personal experience ONLY, I've had a few folks use bullying tactics to attempt to force others to adhere to the boycott. I've had 2-3 FB friends post messages stating that if you don't support the Chick-Fil-A boycott that they want you to defriend them since you clearly are a homophobe and don't support gay marriage. I found that offensive and defriended them. Not because I'm against gay marriage (I'm very much in favor of it), but because I don't like people who think bullying is an appropriate way to influence others. Interestingly enough, I got no such emails from people asking me to defriend them if I didn't support the Oreo boycott after the rainbow Oreo ad.

I think kindness and reason are much better tools to use when trying to change a mind. Bullying makes people dig in their heels and refuse to consider the other side.

Last edited by UNC4Me; 07-27-2012 at 12:35 PM..

Old 07-27-2012, 12:29 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,659,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
I agree with you. A boycott is not a form of bullying.

Based on my personal experience ONLY, I've had a few folks use bullying tacts to attempt to force others to adhere to the boycott. I've had 2-3 FB friends post messages stating that if you don't support the Chick-Fil-A boycott that they want you to defriend them since you clearly are a homophobe and don't support gay marriage. I found that offensive and defriended them. Not because I'm against gay marriage (I'm very much in favor of it), but because I don't like people who think bullying is an appropriate way to influence others. Interestingly enough, I got no such emails from people asking me to defriend them if I didn't support the Oreo boycott after the rainbow Oreo ad.

I think kindness and reasoning are much better tools to use when trying to change a mind. Bullying makes people dig in their heels and refuse to consider the other side.
Absolutely. I agree with you. And although I support same-sex marriage, I would never boycott a business for being against it. This isn't a matter of life and death. Now, if their official position was, "All gays should be executed", that would be a different situation.

Old 07-27-2012, 12:30 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,312,752 times
I'm all for gays boycotting ChickFilA, and for anti-gays boycotting....whatever. It's their freedom of speech, etc. No problem. I do think it would be more effective to boycott the federal government by not paying taxes.

Old 07-27-2012, 12:33 PM

20,454 posts, read 12,373,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Do you realize how often conservative groups boycott companies because the companies support same-sex marriage or gay rights? Have you complained about that? I doubt it.

Boycotting is not bullying. It's the free market at work. Chick-Fil-A doesn't deserve anyone's business. They have to earn it.

No it's not. The mayor has a right to free speech.

A couple of points. I have said in my comments on this subject that I shop at JCP and eat at CFA.

As for the mayor, he certainly has the right to speak as he wishes. What he does not have a right to do is use his office as mayor to prevent CFA from opening a store in his city.

Old 07-27-2012, 12:36 PM

15,859 posts, read 21,427,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Launching a movement?... OK... I just stated my opinion. So what? And if I fund a group supporting what I believe - so what? It's done all the time with people who have way more money than me. And I don't think I mentioned anything about the law.
But if you're being hypocritical by citing G-d as your motivation for preventing gay marriage, when in fact divorce goes against the 10 Commandments, you are wrong.

Old 07-27-2012, 12:38 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,384,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
You'll "notice" that gays marrying or adopting is not the topic.
I've explained this already. The topic is the boycott, the moral justification for which can only be determined by addressing the controversy of gay rights. It's been firmly established time and again by people on both sides of the debate over gay rights that people have the legal right to express their opinions as well as boycott the businesses of those they disagree with. If you'd like us all to respond only with "I'm going to stop eating there" or "I'm not going to stop eating there" without going into why, you're going to continue to be disappointed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
But for the record, I don't have a problem with it at all. But I will fight to the end someone's right to disagree with that. This is a freedom of speech issue, not a gay rights issue.
It is both, because someone is practicing their freedom of speech to promote the idea that gays shouldn't have the same rights as heteros. Please try and understand that there are legal rights and moral rights. Legal rights are legally protected rights such as free speech, something I will side with you in fighting for. Moral rights are protected by the people using their freedom of speech for good, not evil.

I'll concede that the mayors trying to keep Chick-Fil-A out because of this political opinion is unconstitutional. They shouldn't be allowed. No legal right to do this... but PLENTY of MORAL right

Old 07-27-2012, 12:39 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,659,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
As for the mayor, he certainly has the right to speak as he wishes. What he does not have a right to do is use his office as mayor to prevent CFA from opening a store in his city.
He's not doing that. He simply stated his opinion.

On the other hand, in the cities where I've lived, I'm pretty sure that a City Council does have the ability to decide which businesses are allowed and which are not. For example, many cities have made it difficult or impossible for adult video and novelty stores to open or stay in business.

Old 07-27-2012, 12:39 PM

7,006 posts, read 6,991,168 times
Homofascists call this "tolerant bullying".

Old 07-27-2012, 12:40 PM

45,541 posts, read 27,152,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
But if you're being hypocritical by citing G-d as your motivation for preventing gay marriage, when in fact divorce goes against the 10 Commandments, you are wrong.
Divorce is not in the 10 Comandments. God hates it - but it ain't there.

Otherwise, I don't quite get your point. Gay mariage isn't good. Divorce isn't good. Where's the hypocrisy?

Old 07-27-2012, 12:44 PM

4,571 posts, read 3,518,799 times
Homosexuals should start a union and formally use the thug tactics of the unions.

Meanwhile, I continue to laugh at them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies