Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2011, 08:12 AM

12,372 posts, read 9,317,854 times

Advertisements

When did this country get so prudish about breast feeding a baby in public? I grew up in an era when everyone did it---back in 40s and 50s. It was done discretely with a diaper over ones shoulder and a baby feeding underneath. The department stores did have nursing rooms, but it was not unusual to see a nursing baby on a bus, in the park, in a restaurant,at family parties, etc, etc. In a country that supposedly values babies and Life it should be a no brainer that when babies need nursing they should get fed even if that means doing it in public. If John Q Public sees a flash of breasts in the process, big deal. A breast feeding baby is a wondrous, sweet thing to see. Maybe if more children saw this application of breasts they wouldn't grow up obsessed with Girls Gone Wild videos and getting boob jobs, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2011, 08:16 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,158,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
You're assuming an awful lot here, not to mention painting with an awfully big brush.

Nope, not assuming anything...no need to shop when you have a hungry baby which could be fed DISCREETLY at home or in mom's car..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Why should stores not be "forced" to allow breastfeeding? They are "public accomodations".

United States Code: Title 42,12181. Definitions | LII / Legal Information Institute

The following private entities are considered public accommodations for purposes of this subchapter, if the operations of such entities affect commerce—

(List follows)

I had no idea there was a "right" way to breast feed. And to think I breast fed for 43 months total!
Ya, there IS a right way IF a mother feels the NEED to breastfeed in public....my sister did it in a restaurant right across the table from me and I didn't notice....baring a breast in public is exhibitionism....there is NO need to do that.

Old 12-30-2011, 08:17 AM

1,329 posts, read 832,740 times
In most public places men are not allowed to go without shirts, why is it different for women? Are we suppossed to make special exceptions just for women because they can have children?

I suppose in practical terms I don't mind the idea of somebody breastfeeding, I don't see it particularly disgusting but I do see it as an issue of fairness... we don't consider that kind of exposure to be decent usually in men or women.

Old 12-30-2011, 08:18 AM

3,457 posts, read 4,655,228 times
Actually in most places, men are required to wear shirts.

Regardless, when reading this article, it was obviously the woman who had the issue and refused to compromise. She was offered a safe secure fitting room to breatfeed in and turned it down. There is not much to defend there.

Again, it is all about the compromise.

Old 12-30-2011, 08:20 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,810,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
Nope, not assuming anything...no need to shop when you have a hungry baby which could be fed DISCREETLY at home or in mom's car..

Ya, there IS a right way IF a mother feels the NEED to breastfeed in public....my sister did it in a restaurant right across the table from me and I didn't notice....baring a breast in public is exhibitionism....there is NO need to do that.
Who said the woman who started this "nurse-in" 'bared her breast'? One does have to uncover one's breast a bit so the baby can latch on, but it is not necessary to completely disrobe from the waist up to do so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DT113876 View Post
In most public places men are not allowed to go without shirts, why is it different for women? Are we suppossed to make special exceptions just for women because they can have children?

I suppose in practical terms I don't mind the idea of somebody breastfeeding, I don't see it particularly disgusting but I do see it as an issue of fairness... we don't consider that kind of exposure to be decent usually in men or women.
See above.

Old 12-30-2011, 08:21 AM

23,416 posts, read 37,017,268 times
Quote:

Yes, you are assuming here, you are assuming that all nursing mothers are shopaholics in need of a fix, which is simply ridiculous.

Old 12-30-2011, 08:25 AM

2,526 posts, read 3,005,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
Who really needs to leave the house for longer than that on any regular basis?
You live in a world that is soooooooo much smaller than mine. It's incredible!

Old 12-30-2011, 08:25 AM

7,871 posts, read 10,135,035 times
Quote:
Clearly you have either little experience with infants, or little with shopping, and certainly not with both at the same time.

Do you think women bring their infants to germ-infested stores because they want to?

Quote:
That depends on the intent, and why do you even care?

It's a boob. They are soft and warm. They will not hurt you.

Old 12-30-2011, 08:27 AM

7,871 posts, read 10,135,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DT113876 View Post
Yes, actually. See the equal protection clause of the 14th Amendment.

Quote:
How, exactly, do you feel cheated by not having a small hairless ape gnawing on your sensitive nipples a dozen times per day?

Old 12-30-2011, 08:32 AM

1,770 posts, read 2,898,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Why should stores not be "forced" to allow breastfeeding? They are "public accomodations".

United States Code: Title 42,12181. Definitions | LII / Legal Information Institute

The following private entities are considered public accommodations for purposes of this subchapter, if the operations of such entities affect commerce—

(List follows)

I had no idea there was a "right" way to breast feed. And to think I breast fed for 43 months total!
LOL i love how freedom only works 1 way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies