Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2011, 09:33 AM

1,096 posts, read 4,529,206 times

Advertisements

Just curious what your guys thoughts are on this Target store sitin/protest about women breastfeeding in public?

I don't have all the background I guess some people are upset at how one mother in Houston was treated at a Target store so it spurred this nationwide thing.

My thinking is this, yes it's a natural thing and if there's no better area women shouldn't be forced into a bathroom store to feed their baby next to some women taking a dump but that said alot of store have spent millions of dollars instituting nursing rooms into stores, malls, etc. If an alternative suitable area is available and a women chooses to do it right out in the open it's kind of silly in my opinino.

Like any movement whether it's gays, ultra religious people, whatever, I think to each his own but it bothers me when people get militant and in your face about whatever their chosen issue is.

I'm sure there's some women who go out of their way to nurse their babies in public just to be in your face, and just to be like ya I'm pulling my boobies out in the middle of the foodcourt b/c I can!!!

You can say it's natrual, healthy for a baby, etc and that's all true but sex, pooping, peeing, etc is all natural and it's not appropriate to do it in public. I think anything that's generally considered a private thing makes some people uncomfortable seeing it in public. Some women comment that if there's no other area they dont have a problem with it but if there is use it alot of women dont want to have a discussion with their children about that issue right on the spot in the middle of the mall when they see it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2011, 09:59 AM

50,390 posts, read 64,083,206 times
Are we talking DISCRETE breast feeding, or "I can flip out my boob in public, and you can't stop me"?

I'm in favor of 1, and against 2.

Old 12-29-2011, 10:13 AM

522 posts, read 1,856,970 times
IF we found ourself in a store/mall when the kids were of that age we went to the fitting room to have them fed or changed.

Old 12-29-2011, 10:31 AM

18,480 posts, read 31,670,709 times
I think it is totally in appropriate, go somewhere in private.

I witnessed it the other day in the Chinese restaurant, the mother was trying to conceal it, but never the less I saw it, and I didn't like it.

Old 12-29-2011, 07:11 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,396,050 times
I'm not exactly against breastfeeding in public, but I don't see it as necessary by a long shot. I've actually never seen a woman breastfeeding in public, which means we as a society apparently can do without it. It just takes a little bit of planning.

And I'm glad the OP mentioned the possibility that children may see it, prompting a premature discussion about something that - let's face it - you can't expect children to be mature about.

Old 12-29-2011, 07:21 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,245,171 times
I'm a man. Whip out the boob whenever you want, in protest or otherwise. I couldn't possibly care less. What am i gonna do...faint?

Geez. It's a BOOB for crying out loud.

Old 12-29-2011, 07:24 PM

8,276 posts, read 12,870,052 times
I really have no interest in seeing the feeding process and certainly don't want to while I'm eating. This is not something to share with the world, we really could care less.

I also think it a little extreme that a store be expected to add a feeding station.

Old 12-29-2011, 07:26 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,363,371 times
I'm a firm supporter of womens breasts.

Old 12-29-2011, 07:27 PM

472 posts, read 741,406 times
Sure, whip one or both out whenever, but don't get all upset if some guy (or gal) decides to watch.

Old 12-29-2011, 07:29 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,215,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
I'm a man. Whip out the boob whenever you want, in protest or otherwise. I couldn't possibly care less. What am i gonna do...faint?

Geez. It's a BOOB for crying out loud.
We might not agree on many things but on this I'm 100% with ya...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies