Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2011, 09:12 AM

16,912 posts, read 10,624,666 times

Advertisements

How many women who have had a child oppose this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2011, 09:18 AM

1,187 posts, read 997,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfr69 View Post
Just curious what your guys thoughts are on this Target store sitin/protest about women breastfeeding in public?

I don't have all the background I guess some people are upset at how one mother in Houston was treated at a Target store so it spurred this nationwide thing.

My thinking is this, yes it's a natural thing and if there's no better area women shouldn't be forced into a bathroom store to feed their baby next to some women taking a dump but that said alot of store have spent millions of dollars instituting nursing rooms into stores, malls, etc. If an alternative suitable area is available and a women chooses to do it right out in the open it's kind of silly in my opinino.

Like any movement whether it's gays, ultra religious people, whatever, I think to each his own but it bothers me when people get militant and in your face about whatever their chosen issue is.

I'm sure there's some women who go out of their way to nurse their babies in public just to be in your face, and just to be like ya I'm pulling my boobies out in the middle of the foodcourt b/c I can!!!

You can say it's natrual, healthy for a baby, etc and that's all true but sex, pooping, peeing, etc is all natural and it's not appropriate to do it in public. I think anything that's generally considered a private thing makes some people uncomfortable seeing it in public. Some women comment that if there's no other area they dont have a problem with it but if there is use it alot of women dont want to have a discussion with their children about that issue right on the spot in the middle of the mall when they see it.
Yes, there are some women out there that go out of their way to try and offend people on purpose, but they really are few and far between! Most women who breastfeed their babies in public do so without anyone noticing. I did with both of my boys and nothing ever showed and only those who knew what was happening, knew what was happening.

As for a "discussion with your children"... what discussion???

Child- mommy what's that lady doing over there
Mommy - feeding her baby
Child - ok

wow, scary discussion!! I can totally see why anyone would be uncomfortable with that.

Old 12-30-2011, 09:22 AM

7,871 posts, read 10,146,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
That is your interpretation. I happen to believe that infants' appetites do not vary dramatically from birth.
This is disastrously WRONG. Even the easiest of kids has variations in appetite. Where the hell do you get this horribly wrong information?

Quote:
Hmm, I prefer to distinguish between breastfeeding and breastfeeding in public. Breastfeeding in public is not important for the child.
No, you just diminish its importance in that context. Private breast feeding is not always going to be possible or practical, but the kid needs to eat regardless.

Quote:
Either way, I don't discourage EITHER. I'm not against public breastfeeding; I'm against the idea that it's necessary.
You cannot say that it is not necessary in all circumstances, which is basically what you are doing here. Highly illogical.

Quote:
There's a difference between good parents and good parenting. Everyone falls short of good parenting from time to time, even good parents. And I don't believe that's the reason I proposed for them to "change their habits"; in fact, I don't believe I told them to stop breastfeeding in public at all.

Why, because I haven't gotten lazy about parenting yet? Because my belief system is more complex than "Ehh, whatever happens"?
Yet. I suspect you have a lot to learn about parenting. You sound like me before I had a toddler.

Old 12-30-2011, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeraldmaiden View Post
Wait - you don't want to see a baby eating while you're eating??

The sexualization of mammary glands has screwed up the perceptions of a lot of people. Breasts are not there to look good, to turn you on, or to fill out a bikini (or, since it's winter, a tight cashmere sweater). They are for feeding our children.
What I think is funny about all this hullabaloo is that the sexualization of breasts are because of what they are made for. Why do men think they are so attracted to big breasts? They may not understand it consciously, but instinctually bigger breasts means better baby feeders. Like round hips mean better baby birthing... the whole reason why men think women are sexy are because of the baby making/nurturing/birthing/feeding instinct. That's WHY they look good to men!

Really I think the people who have a problem with breastfeeding are those who are more sexually repressed and oversexed. They don't want to think about WHY women's breasts are attractive instinctually, so they want to hide them away from their sight to keep their guilt factor or something hidden from themselves.

Old 12-30-2011, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
I think it's important that parents in general practice time management and not fight so hard to live like they don't have kids at all.

We've been through it with my son with no problems. It didn't mean we had to stop living, just build our schedule around his (as, IMO, a parent should learn to do sooner or later anyway). Our son had regular nap times, bedtimes, and close enough to regular feeding times; in between which we were able to get everything else done.
I take it you only have the ONE child? I always feel sorry for parents who have the easy child first. They think that the easy child is the way all children should/will be, and then the second child comes along and they are almost always the "difficult" child that teaches a parent what it meanst to "schedule". ROFL!!

Us parents who had the difficult child first learn right away how you can't "plan around your child's schedule". Life doesn't work according to plans, no matter how hard you try. Although it sounds to me like your poor wife wasn't allowed to leave the house unless all your prerequisites were accomplished before hand. I love plans and all, but I also like being able to pick up and go whereever the heck I want to at a moments notice. And breastfeeding allows for that like nothing else!

If you don't like seeing someone breastfeed, then don't look... more than likely you have no clue when someone is doing it anyway!

Old 12-30-2011, 09:41 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,185,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyndsong71 View Post
What I think is funny about all this hullabaloo is that the sexualization of breasts are because of what they are made for. Why do men think they are so attracted to big breasts? They may not understand it consciously, but instinctually bigger breasts means better baby feeders. Like round hips mean better baby birthing... the whole reason why men think women are sexy are because of the baby making/nurturing/birthing/feeding instinct. That's WHY they look good to men!

Really I think the people who have a problem with breastfeeding are those who are more sexually repressed and oversexed. They don't want to think about WHY women's breasts are attractive instinctually, so they want to hide them away from their sight to keep their guilt factor or something hidden from themselves.
So you think it's OK for women(or men) to be in public completly naked to prove that they're not sexually repressed....

Old 12-30-2011, 09:44 AM

5,036 posts, read 5,147,123 times
Dumb. If you have to take your breast out to feed your kid, do it at home or in the car. There are plenty of other people that shouldnt have to see that while trying to do some shopping.

Old 12-30-2011, 09:46 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,185,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
Yes, you are assuming here, you are assuming that all nursing mothers are shopaholics in need of a fix, which is simply ridiculous.
No, I didn't. I was referring to these women who protested especially the first one who whined....or any other woman who places shopping ahead of child care.

Old 12-30-2011, 09:48 AM

23,416 posts, read 37,068,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
No, I didn't. I was referring to these women who protested especially the first one who whined....or any other woman who places shopping ahead of child care.
Then say what you mean, for crying out loud!

Old 12-30-2011, 09:49 AM

8,732 posts, read 6,794,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyndsong71 View Post

Can you explain man breasts please? Personally I don't find them attractive at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies