Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2012, 04:38 PM

3,064 posts, read 2,638,810 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LML View Post
This was my thinking too. No one who has had experience with middle school girls would be too surprised to find out that these young ladies started doing this for attention and are now to embarrassed to let their parents know what they were doing.
The article states that the doctors are certain that the girls are not faking it.

Old 01-14-2012, 04:52 PM

7,085 posts, read 12,055,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctrain View Post
The article states that the doctors are certain that the girls are not faking it.
A psycho-social disorder is still a real disease, including mass hysteria, just not one with obvious physical causes.

Faking it would involve knowingly trying to deceive the people around them.

Unless some one thinks all diseases without obvious physical clues are fake then it is still a real disease.

Old 01-14-2012, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by subsound View Post
A psycho-social disorder is still a real disease, including mass hysteria, just not one with obvious physical causes.

Faking it would involve knowingly trying to deceive the people around them.

Unless some one thinks all diseases without obvious physical clues are fake then it is still a real disease.
I was responding to a poster who postulated that the girls started doing it for attention and are now too embarrassed to admit it. That would imply "faking" or "trying to deceive" which the doctors have said they are certain is not the case.

Old 01-14-2012, 05:26 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctrain View Post
That's what I would be doing ASAP. I'd also be nervous if I had a daughter at that school. I know they said they have ruled out Gardasil as a causative agent. But I'd still be curious to know if these 12 girls all got the Gardasil shot and if they received it from the same batch; perhaps through the school?
I don't know of any schools that give immunizations, esp. w/o parents' permission.

Old 01-14-2012, 05:28 PM

4,042 posts, read 3,529,230 times
Katiana and Doctrain should find this most-interesting. Doc, you asked a very wise question.

School District Going Door to Door For Inoculation Using Tetanus Vaccine - YouTube

Old 01-14-2012, 05:32 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
I am not going to waste 15 minutes of my life watching this stuff. I did watch enough to see that they were going door to door with Tdap, a required vaccine in most states. The parent would still have to sign permission. Tdap contains pertussis vaccine, and California had a horrendous pertussis outbreak a couple of years ago.

Old 01-14-2012, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I don't know of any schools that give immunizations, esp. w/o parents' permission.
Our old school district offered immunization clinics for H1N1 flu shots with parents' permission. I just wondered if some schools might be offering the same thing with the Gardasil. It would be interesting to see if all 12 of the girls received the shot from the same batch which would be likely if given at school.

Old 01-14-2012, 05:58 PM

10,092 posts, read 8,205,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Could be something like mold in the girls bathroom.

My first guess was that they'd tried some drugs\huffing etc. but they say that's not the case. However, they did say it wasn't ILLEGAL drugs so these gals may have been doing whippets etc. and they can't release the info.

Almost seems like they may know but the girls were doing something that could be embarassing so they are mum on the topic.

It almost sounds like heavy metal poisoning. Did you know that a couple kids got REALLY sick a number of years back after one of them found something like an old bottle of radium or something like it and they glittered their hair or whatever with it?

Then there is the possibility of halloween face painting, made in China.
You make the most sense of anything I've read so far. Why is everyone pointing to Gardasil? Hundreds of thousands of girls have been vaccinated with it, so why would that be the cause of a pocket of 12 girls who all came down with Tourette syndrome at the same time, in one school, when similar pockets aren't happening anywhere else? That doesn't even make sense.

I don't get the conspiracy theory stuff either--they may honestly not know the cause. It sounds like they've ruled out environmental factors that they can test (like something at school or home) but you are exactly right--they could have shared exposure to something random but dangerous, or they could have shared something embarrassing, so the families aren't talking. It sounds like they've ruled out something contagious, or an environmental hazard in the community or the school, so there's no reason to share the cause with the community, even if they could.

Old 01-14-2012, 06:01 PM

9,855 posts, read 10,413,498 times
It is a bizarre situation. I hope a statement can be released soon to explain the circumstances.

Old 01-14-2012, 06:02 PM

10,092 posts, read 8,205,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Boys can get Gardasil, too.
They're recommending now that boys be vaccinated as well. All 5 of my boys have had the first shot, and we're going to do the second when wrestling season is over. They had some soreness for a few days at the injection site after the first dose, but that was it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies