Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2012, 09:56 AM

3,064 posts, read 2,640,556 times

Advertisements

UPDATE: Here is a link to the TODAY show segment where two of the 12 affected Leroy girls and their moms were interviewed. Sounds like the doctors are considering this a type of psychosomatic disorder which was stress induced. They say they have ruled out other probable causes. However, the girls deny being under stress prior to the appearance of these Tourette's like symptoms and their mothers claim their daughters have not had the reported tests and have received no copies of tests, evaluations, etc.

TODAY Health - Teen girls' medical mystery baffles doctors

Old 01-17-2012, 01:35 PM

78,448 posts, read 60,652,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctrain View Post
UPDATE: Here is a link to the TODAY show segment where two of the 12 affected Leroy girls and their moms were interviewed. Sounds like the doctors are considering this a type of psychosomatic disorder which was stress induced. They say they have ruled out other probable causes. However, the girls deny being under stress prior to the appearance of these Tourette's like symptoms and their mothers claim their daughters have not had the reported tests and have received no copies of tests, evaluations, etc.

TODAY Health - Teen girls' medical mystery baffles doctors
This is the part that bothers me....

Quote:
The girls did not say what diagnosis they have been given, only that doctors have told them the onset of their symptoms was stress-related.
Why won't they say what their private physicians diagnosed?

I'm wondering if they got into some bad drugs, mold, toxic poisoning etc.

Old 01-17-2012, 01:38 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,953,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post

Were it a public health contagen there would be a warning. Since there has not been such warning likely the girls infection/illness was behavior related; and thus, the statement about not wanting them to be "labeled".

Old 01-17-2012, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnysee View Post
Already saw number One. Did you see my post where I'm asking/suggesting that it may have been one of the other immunizations? Gardasil isn't the only one that girls their ages get.

Did the 12 girls all receive another shot besides Gardasil?

I doubt it was something like mushrooms. The officials would have no reason to hide something like that, and good reason to publicize it. These girls would be "poster children" for what kids should not experiment with.

No, it's likely something that the medical matrix wishes to keep hidden because it puts "their practices" into question or something like that.
1. If it was another widely used immunization then why no boys impacted or more girls?
2. When did YOU go to jr. high? You never had friends doing drugs in jr. high and hiding it? Hell, I had a kid in my class light up a JOINT in class one day.

Basically, I'm looking for background facts and not axe-grinding speculation.

http://www.answers.com/topic/heavy-metal-poisoning

Quote:
In severe cases, people exhibit obvious impairment of cognitive, motor, and language skills.

Old 01-17-2012, 01:52 PM

Quote:

It sounds like they haven't been given a diagnosis and that is what the two girls who were on the show and their mothers were so upset about. A prior report had stated the doctors had r/o illegal drugs and mold. I guess it could have been something not technically illegal like aerosal inhaling or glue sniffing but if this is the case, I doubt these girls, at least one of whom was an honor roll student, cheerleader, artist would come on public t.v. complaining. Anything is possible, but if you watch the video, neither girl or their moms come across as particularly attention seeking or histrionic people.

Old 01-17-2012, 01:53 PM

4,042 posts, read 3,531,260 times
2. When did YOU go to jr. high? You never had friends doing drugs in jr. high and hiding it? Hell, I had a kid in my class light up a JOINT in class one day.

The issue isn't if the kids did drugs and tried to hide it. The issue is if the medical establishment knows the kids did drugs, and why they would have no need or desire to hide the fact.

The Medical people would hide anything that made themselves look bad, not the kids' experimentation.

Old 01-17-2012, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctrain View Post
It sounds like they haven't been given a diagnosis and that is what the two girls who were on the show and their mothers were so upset about. A prior report had stated the doctors had r/o illegal drugs and mold. I guess it could have been something not technically illegal like aerosal inhaling or glue sniffing but if this is the case, I doubt these girls, at least one of whom was an honor roll student, cheerleader, artist would come on public t.v. complaining. Anything is possible, but if you watch the video, neither girl or their moms come across as particularly attention seeking or histrionic people.
I believe that the girls got diagnosis from the private physicians but have not released it. A statement from their physicians seemed to be very carefully crafted to say "no illegal drugs" and so forth but no official diagnosis has been released.

What they seem to be clammoring to see is the state's investigation of the school facility for some sort of contaminant.

Is this the gist of things so far?

Old 01-17-2012, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnysee View Post

The issue isn't if the kids did drugs and tried to hide it. The issue is if the medical establishment knows the kids did drugs, and why they would have no need or desire to hide the fact.

The Medical people would hide anything that made themselves look bad, not the kids' experimentation.
Or lose thier medical license by violating doctor patient confidentiality.

Are you saying that their personal doctors didn't give them a diagnosis?

Old 01-17-2012, 02:02 PM

4,042 posts, read 3,531,260 times
Day after year after day.......we, the people are given NEWS reports of outbreaks of things big, small, serious and other times, simply peculiar or noteworthy.

I am saying that the medical establishment has no reason to hide it if a group of kids experimented and caused their own, similar symptoms and everything to gain from publicizing it as a lesson to all of the other kids, especially in that area, school, etc. It happens regularly that such things are not kept secret.

No, again the medical establishment can, without giving any identifying markers of the children report about it and they most often do just that.

Old 01-17-2012, 02:13 PM

Quote:
I believe that the girls got diagnosis from the private physicians but have not released it. A statement from their physicians seemed to be very carefully crafted to say "no illegal drugs" and so forth but no official diagnosis has been released.

What they seem to be clammoring to see is the state's investigation of the school facility for some sort of contaminant.

Is this the gist of things so far?
I reread the link from the Today Show interview and it does say in one place that the girls have been given a diagnosis, individually. But then they go on to say they have not seen any test results and have been told that it is stress related.

Here is the school's statement:

Le Roy Central School District

The environment or an infection is not the cause of the students’ tics.
There are many causes of tic-like symptoms.
Stress can often worsen tic-like symptoms.
These symptoms are real.

They also state and provide reports regarding air quality and mold not being factors.

So it sounds like they are saying that stress can make the tic-like symptoms worse. But still no word on what caused the tic symptoms in the first place.

The girls say they were told it was caused by trauma. So what was the trauma? The two girls and their moms interviewed (who came across as credible) denied experiencing any trauma prior to the onset. What "trauma" did all 12 girls experience?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies