Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2012, 02:26 PM

78,448 posts, read 60,652,129 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctrain View Post
I reread the link from the Today Show interview and it does say in one place that the girls have been given a diagnosis, individually. But then they go on to say they have not seen any test results and have been told that it is stress related.

Here is the school's statement:

Le Roy Central School District

The environment or an infection is not the cause of the students’ tics.
There are many causes of tic-like symptoms.
Stress can often worsen tic-like symptoms.
These symptoms are real.

They also state and provide reports regarding air quality and mold not being factors.

So it sounds like they are saying that stress can make the tic-like symptoms worse. But still no word on what caused the tic symptoms in the first place.

The girls say they were told it was caused by trauma. So what was the trauma? The two girls and their moms interviewed (who came across as credible) denied experiencing any trauma prior to the onset. What "trauma" did all 12 girls experience?
The test results they claim they haven't seen are the states investigation of the building for some sort of contaminant (ie. mold, CO2).

They have not shared their private diagnosis.

Lastly, being a girl in jr. high is in and of itself somewhat stressful. It's possible that *in general* stress was the trigger but not for those 3 girls. However, um....if a bunch of girls got together at a birthday party and huffed whippets and a few days later some got sick that would be a stress to the others.

Would be nice to know what the private diagnosis was. They have that information and aren't sharing it for a reason.

Old 01-17-2012, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnysee View Post
Day after year after day.......we, the people are given NEWS reports of outbreaks of things big, small, serious and other times, simply peculiar or noteworthy.

I am saying that the medical establishment has no reason to hide it if a group of kids experimented and caused their own, similar symptoms and everything to gain from publicizing it as a lesson to all of the other kids, especially in that area, school, etc. It happens regularly that such things are not kept secret.

No, again the medical establishment can, without giving any identifying markers of the children report about it and they most often do just that.
Ok, give me an example of something like this happening and the medical field coming forward without consent and filling in the public as to what *really* happened. Now, if it turned out to be a CO2 leak, mold or other public health threat then they can comment on that. However, if it were something private like they all got together and chowed on LEGAL shrooms their doctors can't tell us that.

Old 01-17-2012, 04:32 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,823,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnysee View Post
2. When did you go to jr. High? You never had friends doing drugs in jr. High and hiding it? Hell, i had a kid in my class light up a joint in class one day.

the issue isn't if the kids did drugs and tried to hide it. The issue is if the medical establishment knows the kids did drugs, and why they would have no need or desire to hide the fact.

the medical people would hide anything that made themselves look bad, not the kids' experimentation.
Confidentiality!

Old 01-17-2012, 05:33 PM

3,064 posts, read 2,640,556 times
Several parents deny what a state health official told a group of 200 at a community meeting. They claim they have not been given a diagnosis.

"Young repeatedly told the audience that he knows the diagnosis and causes in 11 of the 12 reported cases.
That was later contradicted, however, by several parents of girls affected.
“None of us know from talking to doctors what caused it,” one man said. “Don’t say you know, because you don’t. We don’t.”

It is disturbing what the health official told the group.

"It’s not just coincidental. There is a cluster. There’s no question that what we are seeing here is unexpected.”
"He said there was nothing anyone can do to prevent further cases from happening “if people are predisposed to it.”

At least 12 Le Roy students diagnosed with tic symptoms - The Daily News Online: News

Old 01-18-2012, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Several parents deny what a state health official told a group of 200 at a community meeting. They claim they have not been given a diagnosis.

"Young repeatedly told the audience that he knows the diagnosis and causes in 11 of the 12 reported cases.
That was later contradicted, however, by several parents of girls affected.
“None of us know from talking to doctors what caused it,” one man said. “Don’t say you know, because you don’t. We don’t.”

It is disturbing what the health official told the group.

"It’s not just coincidental. There is a cluster. There’s no question that what we are seeing here is unexpected.”
"He said there was nothing anyone can do to prevent further cases from happening “if people are predisposed to it.”

At least 12 Le Roy students diagnosed with tic symptoms - The Daily News Online: News
Seems like a whole lot of confusion. Oh well, give it another week and more information will leak out.

if the Health Dept. has information the parents should be able to find out unless they are non-custodial.

Old 01-18-2012, 08:59 AM

6,897 posts, read 4,755,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
"Natural News" is an anti-vaccine website. FYI, Tex, I had to click on your link to find out what (alleged) news site this was from; it was unknown from the post. Of course, they make a disclaimer like that. They don't want to get sued. These anti-vaxers know ALL the angles.
Correct, No one should jump to conclusions here, we don't even know if they had the vaccines, just more fear mongering from the anti-vaxers. Please, I don't want to go back to the days of the iron lung.

Old 01-18-2012, 09:14 AM

I read some but not all of the stories here...http://truthaboutgardasil.org/memoria And came to the conclusion that these girls death could have likely been caused by any reason other than being related to the G vaccine, it is possible they would have died anyway, there is no way of knowing. I will say this, you are a fool if you get a vaccine without educating yourself about the risks. I get a flu shot every year and I know the risks. I believe in vaccines and also believe it is your right to refuse them, even though I think you are a fool.

Old 01-18-2012, 09:42 AM

7,006 posts, read 6,998,053 times
Quote:
UPDATE: Here is a link to the TODAY show segment where two of the 12 affected Leroy girls and their moms were interviewed. Sounds like the doctors are considering this a type of psychosomatic disorder which was stress induced. They say they have ruled out other probable causes. However, the girls deny being under stress prior to the appearance of these Tourette's like symptoms and their mothers claim their daughters have not had the reported tests and have received no copies of tests, evaluations, etc.

TODAY Health - Teen girls' medical mystery baffles doctors
Thanks for that. I'm kind of disgusted that one doctor is saying it's nothing more than "conversion disorder" (i.e. mass hysteria). I'm sure he wouldn't think that if it were teenage boys affected.

Old 01-18-2012, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Were it a public health contagen there would be a warning. Since there has not been such warning likely the girls infection/illness was behavior related; and thus, the statement about not wanting them to be "labeled".
Agreed, I was thinking the same. If it was a major health concern/communicable disease, I would think the girls would have been quarantined and the school closed for a week or so. I was also thinking they were possibly stressed out about something. Stress can play mind games with you.

Old 01-18-2012, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnysee View Post
Day after year after day.......we, the people are given NEWS reports of outbreaks of things big, small, serious and other times, simply peculiar or noteworthy.

I am saying that the medical establishment has no reason to hide it if a group of kids experimented and caused their own, similar symptoms and everything to gain from publicizing it as a lesson to all of the other kids, especially in that area, school, etc. It happens regularly that such things are not kept secret.

No, again the medical establishment can, without giving any identifying markers of the children report about it and they most often do just that.
Being the kids are already identified, this would be imposable. It is no ones business, unless it is a health concern to other children, but I am sure word has spread among the kids at the school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies