Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2012, 11:13 AM

18,258 posts, read 22,535,626 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa2013 View Post
True, but I notice that when white men marry black women, they are usually of the same class and have similar levels of education. One thing that is rarely mentioned is, black women and white men marriages, although rare, have the lowest rate of divorce in the country (even lower than white men/white women and white men /asian women marriages). This leads me to believe that when white men and black women pair up for marriage, it's more grounded in love and shared commonalities.

Interracial marriage in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Black men have very high divorce rates with black women, but even higher when they are married to white women. I think it's probably due to pairing up for all of the wrong reasons. I am not saying that this is always the case. I know several white women who are married to black men and they have a true bond, but I don't think that's usually the case, as evidenced by the very high divorce rates. Or maybe it's because the white woman gets tired of the black guy? I just think it's funny that black guys will say black women are difficult, but the stats show that when black women are with non black men, they have much stabler relationships and tend to stay married. Maybe someone can break down the reasons for this.
Thank you for posting the stats that backup my beliefs regarding this issue.

What lies beneath the stats regarding Black women married to White men is the fact that Black women, in general, are very loyal and very much want to maintain good marriages. However, the loyalty of Black women is not always reciprocated in their relationships with Black men (particularly amongst the lower class/lower income/less educated, but not exclusively).

Black women, in general, also are very beholden to the idea that it is disloyal to accept a non-Black man as a partner. Therefore, many of these women end up sharing the supply of Black men, tolerating abusive behavior, allowing themselves to be manioulated and attempting to keep these men by having babies without a commitment to an exclusive relationship.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2012, 11:30 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,421,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocLot View Post
LOL; now I'm started to think you're becoming a troll. So, now you're attacking DC residents? While it is true that many blacks in DC live in public housing, I don't agree with your overall assessment. From your take, I'd venture to guess that you didn't grow up in these areas and are only going off of news report. Here's something you might not know: Living in public housing doesn't always equal criminality.

I grew up in the projects of DC and still visit certain areas of SE on a fairly regular basis. I've never once heard a black kid say "Marriage is for White People". That is absolutely ridiculous.

Good luck with your movement. With your obvious disdain for the black people that you claim to want to help, I doubt it'll get far off the ground.
Yeah I think she went off the rails on this one. DC and the surrounding jurisdictions either have the most or 2nd most numbers of Black households that make more than 200K.

Old 01-17-2012, 12:17 PM

140 posts, read 120,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
Thank you for posting the stats that backup my beliefs regarding this issue.

What lies beneath the stats regarding Black women married to White men is the fact that Black women, in general, are very loyal and very much want to maintain good marriages. However, the loyalty of Black women is not always reciprocated in their relationships with Black men (particularly amongst the lower class/lower income/less educated, but not exclusively).

Black women, in general, also are very beholden to the idea that it is disloyal to accept a non-Black man as a partner. Therefore, many of these women end up sharing the supply of Black men, tolerating abusive behavior, allowing themselves to be manioulated and attempting to keep these men by having babies without a commitment to an exclusive relationship.
True!

Old 01-17-2012, 12:23 PM

140 posts, read 120,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Yeah I think she went off the rails on this one. DC and the surrounding jurisdictions either have the most or 2nd most numbers of Black households that make more than 200K.
True but DC has a lot of poverty too.

Poverty is Back on the Rise in the District | DC Fiscal Policy Institute
Quote:
New data released from the U.S. Census Bureau show that while the recession may officially be over, it hasn’t yet loosened its grip on tens of thousands of District families. In fact, poverty has been on a steady climb here in DC, with an additional 17,500 DC residents falling into poverty since 2007. Nearly one in five DC residents lived below the poverty line, or $22,314 for a family of four, in 2010.

What’s worse is that two-thirds of the growth in poverty reflects residents living in deep poverty — or below half of the poverty line. One in nine DC residents lived on less than about $11,000 for a family of four in 2010. And just over a quarter of those living in deep poverty, are children. Research shows that deep poverty in particular has a significant impact on a young child’s school achievement and future earnings as an adult.

At the same time, the new data show that income for other DC households is rising. Median income – the income of the household in the middle of the distribution — rose from $57,100 in 2007 to $60,900 in 2010. The fact that both incomes were rising for some while poverty was getting worse means that the recession is hitting some groups in DC harder than others. The data show huge jumps in poverty among children, single-parent female headed households and Black DC residents since the start of the recession. In 2010, one in three kids, two in five single parent female households, and one in four Black DC residents lived in poverty.

Old 01-17-2012, 12:45 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,153,076 times
Quote:
(I edited this to put in a sarcasm warning since there aren't too many bright people in here and some might think I'm serious and agree with them!)

Oh some blacks are poor!!! WOW! What a discovery! And the SIMPLE(minded) solution is for them to get married!!! THAT solves all their problems, they will immediately become a wealthy as all you whites!!! 'Cause I know NO white people make mistakes or are poor or get divorced or have babies when you're not married....oh what great perfect people you whities are!!!!!

How COULD black people ignore your superior advice on how to live??!!! You are all so perfect ...and so nice and white.....god certainly must like you all better than other colors!!!

However, white people have been in control for a long time and the world still sucks.....what are YOU doing wrong?

Old 01-17-2012, 12:46 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,421,721 times
Quote:
Yup you're right as well. There is a wide class gap between Blacks in the area as well in the area but that's been the case in DC for a century or so.

It has always been home to a substantial Blackk middle class and above.

As a DC area native you become somewhat spoiled in that regard. I had a Nigerian classmate who currently lives in Denver visit DC during Xmas. He wants to move here because as he put it in Denver the Black areas are "rough looking" whereas in DC you have a lot of Black people who dress nice, speak well and above all the ladies are far more attractive.

Old 01-17-2012, 12:47 PM

6,454 posts, read 7,011,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom123 View Post
I agree with this completely. There should be no need to dog others to justify their choice. I don't believe in this at all, and find that those who do are either insecure about not marrying within the race, or were severely rejected in the past by those they are dogging.

That being said, I do think it's valid if asked, to give honest reasons why they decided to date interracially if they were solely interested in their own race prior and didn't have much success. The problem is many cross the line from giving reasons to straight bashing.

My comments are gender neutral because I've seen both men and women bash to justify their choices or to lash out against bad experiences with the opposite sex.
Perhaps you didn't notice this...but I did. I don't recall a single black man in this thread advocating the idea that white women (or women of any race for that matter) were some how better than black women were or even an alternative solution. That idea just popped up out of nowhere by the very same embittered black women in this thread.

I don't think a single black man ever even brought it up, let alone made mention of it as a possibilty. Even you yourself engaged into a brief dogfight with Lisa about what her commanding perceptions of what she herself believes what black men prefer.

What I think is apparent here, is that there is a current cirrculation of black females in the room who are using that myth as a catalyst to attack black males as a way to deflect other reasons that black females may be partially responsible for the OOW situation.

After all, if we all just sing along with the attitude that black men are just spellbound by white women--what else is there to talk about other than the mental 'state of' black men being the problem? Many of these "intellectual" black females have just discovered a 'cure all' from ever holding they themselves and their sistren of being responsible for their own choices in who they prefer to lay up and procreate with. Generally speaking, the very idea is usually a very short discussion that eventually gets dismissed as an impossibility altogether.

Even if you read this thread from the start, pretty much the same ideas have been tossed around for about 38 pages or so, just as they are in similar threads. Black women are either victims of black men's "abuses" and mishaps and/or they are victims to the circumstances created by them. Pity black women, throw black men under the bus with racist anecdotes, wipe our hands clean and let's act like we're starting a new page here. It's the same song played every time this question is brought up.

Either way, I think we can expect the OOW rates amongst them to continue to climb and the problem to continue escalating.

Last edited by itshim; 01-17-2012 at 01:00 PM..

Old 01-17-2012, 12:50 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,911,642 times
Simple reason is they want babies but don't find any man they want to marry. And it is true of many whites as well. Many lower income people reject marriage as being only for "the rich."

Old 01-17-2012, 01:04 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,535,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
(I edited this to put in a sarcasm warning since there aren't too many bright people in here and some might think I'm serious and agree with them!)

Oh some blacks are poor!!! WOW! What a discovery! And the SIMPLE(minded) solution is for them to get married!!! THAT solves all their problems, they will immediately become a wealthy as all you whites!!! 'Cause I know NO white people make mistakes or are poor or get divorced or have babies when you're not married....oh what great perfect people you whities are!!!!!

How COULD black people ignore your superior advice on how to live??!!! You are all so perfect ...and so nice and white.....god certainly must like you all better than other colors!!!

However, white people have been in control for a long time and the world still sucks.....what are YOU doing wrong?
Actually, Lisa2013's posts have been spot on. It matters not what race she happens to be...the information is valid.

Old 01-17-2012, 01:36 PM

9,008 posts, read 13,841,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom123 View Post
Hi Jerseygal,

Do you have stats to fit this opinion? Last time I checked, 90% of black men who married, still married black women.

Also, have you actually spoken to many black men about this? Most of them would only date a white woman if she had the stereotypical physical features of a black women. I have met very few black men who don't place a high priority on a certain body type.
Quote:
Originally Posted by itshim View Post
Perhaps you didn't notice this...but I did. I don't recall a single black man in this thread advocating the idea that white women (or women of any race for that matter) were some how better than black women were or even an alternative solution. That idea just popped up out of nowhere by the very same embittered black women in this thread.

I don't think a single black man ever even brought it up, let alone made mention of it as a possibilty. Even you yourself engaged into a brief dogfight with Lisa about what her commanding perceptions of what she herself believes what black men prefer.

What I think is apparent here, is that there is a current cirrculation of black females in the room who are using that myth as a catalyst to attack black males as a way to deflect other reasons that black females may be partially responsible for the OOW situation.

After all, if we all just sing along with the attitude that black men are just spellbound by white women--what else is there to talk about other than the mental 'state of' black men being the problem? Many of these "intellectual" black females have just discovered a 'cure all' from ever holding they themselves and their sistren of being responsible for their own choices in who they prefer to lay up and procreate with. Generally speaking, the very idea is usually a very short discussion that eventually gets dismissed as an impossibility altogether.

Even if you read this thread from the start, pretty much the same ideas have been tossed around for about 38 pages or so, just as they are in similar threads. Black women are either victims of black men's "abuses" and mishaps and/or they are victims to the circumstances created by them. Pity black women, throw black men under the bus with racist anecdotes, wipe our hands clean and let's act like we're starting a new page here. It's the same song played every time this question is brought up.

Either way, I think we can expect the OOW rates amongst them to continue to climb and the problem to continue escalating.
You are one of those men that seem bitter. As a matter of fact,YOU are the only one male in this thread who mentioned bad attitudes,obesity,etc as to why black women aren't married.
Because as I pointed out,they aren't exactly marrying the white women they have oow children with either.

Why is obesity considered a negative trait? I can't understand that one.
I seea lot of obese men,yet somehow they get married.

Last edited by jerseygal4u; 01-17-2012 at 02:00 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies