Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2012, 11:54 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,135,461 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB.Good View Post
As opposed to the Right that blame the poor for being everything from too lazy to too corrupt to work for our deficit?

If railing against people that need welfare (of which there are vastly more than there are millionaires) isn't dividing the country, then you have no case for Obama dividing the country.
Allowing peple to keep their money, and demanding money from someone else is the exact opposite of one another
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2012, 12:04 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,422,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
For most of Obamas term he old the GOP to f off and didnt even allow them in the room. Get real.
The first week of office he set the time of his Presidency with "we won, you lost, get over it.." statements. When the voters spoke in 2010, it didn't matter who the winner was.

My biggest complaint is his inability to unite the country. I was a CEO of a large company until I sold out. My job was setting the tone and strategy of the company and making sure the needs of the various stakeholders were addressed. A leader will never please everyone. When making the tough decisions it becomes even more important to communicate the rational to those who are affected.

He has failed in that respect, which is ironic considering he is supposed to be a great communicator. He has taken a partisan approach to the White House. I owned the largest portion of my company. He doesn't.

Old 01-30-2012, 12:11 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,519,997 times
He's no Bill Clinton that's for sure and I remember that Clinton WAS able to unite folks.
Obama can't even get total support from his own party in Congress. Reid tables them.

http://topics.nytimes.com/top/refere...ton/index.html
Part of Mr. Clinton's centrism came out of necessity. After the attempt to reform the health-care system, led by his wife, Hillary Clinton, foundered, Democrats lost control of both houses of Congress in 1994, ending four decades of control of the House. Mr. Clinton regained his political footing in jousts with the Republicans' leader, Newt Gingrich, the Speaker of the House, and cruised to reelection in 1996 over Bob Dole, the Republican candidate.

Old 01-30-2012, 12:25 PM

6,721 posts, read 5,204,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Actually 59 votes is a majority
I'm supposed to pretend you don't understand that it takes 60 votes to break a filibuster? Record filibuster by the Gop, hard to compromise when one side refuses.

Old 01-30-2012, 12:25 PM

2,023 posts, read 5,314,540 times
Whats's most hilarious about this is how Barack Obama is almost identical to George Bush and in some areas, Bush on steroids. Any big Bush supporter should think Obama is a great president.

Old 01-30-2012, 12:34 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,519,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73-79 ford fan View Post
Whats's most hilarious about this is how Barack Obama is almost identical to George Bush and in some areas, Bush on steroids. Any big Bush supporter should think Obama is a great president.
I agree. A Dem version of Bush in his second term.

Old 01-30-2012, 12:34 PM

19,792 posts, read 13,956,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
The first week of office he set the time of his Presidency with "we won, you lost, get over it.." statements. When the voters spoke in 2010, it didn't matter who the winner was.
So, according to your one-sided logic, Obama's winning in 2008 wasn't the American people sending a message but the GOP winning in 2010 was:
Quote:

Republican Leaders Say They Have a Mandate From the American People

Newly empowered Republican Congressional leaders challenged President Obama and the Democratic Party today to turn in their direction after an election that they described as a clear message from the American people.
Mitch McConnell of Kentucky, who will lead a larger and more robust Republican minority in the Senate, took sharper aim at Mr. Obama, saying that the president had ignored the will of the people in his first two years in office.

“We are determined to stop the agenda the Americans have rejected and turn the ship around,” Mr. McConnell said.
McConnell's words aren't polarizing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
My biggest complaint is his inability to unite the country. I was a CEO of a large company until I sold out. My job was setting the tone and strategy of the company and making sure the needs of the various stakeholders were addressed. A leader will never please everyone. When making the tough decisions it becomes even more important to communicate the rational to those who are affected.
As a CEO, you tell people what to do. If they don't like it, you tell them to hit the street. That's not what a President does. He can direct the House and Senate.

Old 01-30-2012, 02:06 PM

20,892 posts, read 16,085,613 times
I have to concede the premise of the thread. Obama's objective to unite the country has been a failure.

I too was blindsided at the depth and the intensity of the racism that remained just under the surface in this country, and that would surface in the form of unreasoned, frothing, fiction based hatred towards this president. I thought that, as a nation, we were better than that.

I admit that I was wrong.

Old 01-30-2012, 02:20 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,134,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HistorianDude View Post
I have to concede the premise of the thread. Obama's objective to unite the country has been a failure.

I too was blindsided at the depth and the intensity of the racism that remained just under the surface in this country, and that would surface in the form of unreasoned, frothing, fiction based hatred towards this president. I thought that, as a nation, we were better than that.

I admit that I was wrong.
Another lefty attributing the failures of Barack Obama to racism. How surprising.

Old 01-30-2012, 02:29 PM

1 posts, read 723 times
I think failure is a harsh word, when here is a man that took on the obligation of fixing what those supposed to be men f'ed up WAY before him. I honestly dont think it took them 4yrs to "f" it up either. If one thing he did do was of some greatness, ppl will be blinded for other reasons that relate to him and believe me its not the fact that he failed. What does bother ppl cant be said because it would make you/them look racist AND OMGUDNESS! Thats not ME <<<<IJS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies