Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2012, 08:55 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,686,185 times

Advertisements

Boehner ? What about 2009 and 2010 ? It was Reid and Pelosi calling the shots in Congress.
Did you forget about those 2 years ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2012, 09:01 AM

8,346 posts, read 7,061,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
It has nothing to do with this President dividing the nation via class warfare and the result of his constituents buying into the "poor me...I hate the rich" mentality? It's all because of sore losers in the conservative ranks?
It's both, really.

Our country is divided because the politicians want our country to be divided.

No party is immune from this.

If we want to unite our country again, we have to re-evaluate the politicians we put in place.

Unfortunatly, we aren't going to fix this issue with this election either.

Old 01-30-2012, 09:03 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,865,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txgolfer130 View Post
There are a lot of individuals who are supported quietly by those who consider themselves 'main-stream' Republicans who are still fighting w/out substance or evidence that the President is not a "natural born citizen" and thus not qualified to be President.

In the face of this, they then have the gall to attempt to portray President Obama as the one who has not shown "unity" for the country.

When a party reaches out and attempts to work with another, it still takes the other party to also reach out to work "together".
I actually agree with this.

I don't feel the president is at all polarizing. Personally I feel he gave in way too much to the GOP on all major issues, including healthcare aka Obamacare. It is basically the GOP plan. I actually voted for Obama in the primary in 2008 because he was not for a mandate for health insurance like Hillary Clinton was, yet to please both dems and republicans he backed down on his original healthcare ideas that he campaigned on in 2008 and compromised with both parties to get it passed. Everyone is not satisfied with is, liberals want healthcare for all, GOP wants us to stay the same. I think it was monumental it passed at all but I don't like it either.

On other issues this has been the case. The debt ceiling comes to mind. There was no reason not to just raise it like it has been done for decades previously.

I feel that those who do not like the president, just flat out don't like him and because of their unwillingness to accept him as the president, they get vocal and idiotic acting, which has caused the polarization that we now see.

Many people I know feel that it is because he is black, and I actually do feel that has something to do with it, because I honestly don't see this polarization and division coming from Obama.

Quote:
Barack Obama spews class warfare tripe....and it shows up in political conversations across all forms of media. Right here on this forum we have people who have bought into the propoganda. However, many of us see it for what it is.....a nation divider. I think it has ZERO to do with "sore losers" as you surmised in your earlier post.
You speak of the class issues, yet ALL DEMOCRATS speak of this. It is not just Obama. Clinton did it as well, yet people weren't actively trying for 3+ years to get him out of office on that premise. The country was not as polarized against him and honestly Obama is very similar to Clinton. People hated Clinton too but he and Obama really aren't all that different, except I think, and it may be lewd, but I do feel that Clinton had more balls a president than Obama has shown so far and that he was more efficient in getting things done, but I also remember him taking a beating in his first term (on healthcare as well) and him not really being all that effective until his second term so if Obama is re-elected we shall see if he really is a lame duck or if he can get things done. He can't get anything done though if the other side continues to not want to budge on anything. We have to have compromise in the government so in that respect I do think that the polarization has more to do with the GOP than Obama. He has never said that he will not work with them.

Old 01-30-2012, 09:04 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,990,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Boehner ? What about 2009 and 2010 ? It was Reid and Pelosi calling the shots in Congress.
Did you forget about those 2 years ?
Oh yes I do.

I also remember that the GOP used the filibuster a record number of times when the Dems 'officially' controlled the Senate.

I remember Obama wanting a larger stimulus and compromising on a smaller one that contained 40% tax-cuts, to satisfy the GOP.

I remember Obama compromising away much of the ACA in order to appease the GOP, and they still voted against it.

Old 01-30-2012, 09:06 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,262,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
Oh yes I do.

I also remember that the GOP used the filibuster a record number of times when the Dems 'officially' controlled the Senate.

I remember Obama wanting a larger stimulus and compromising on a smaller one that contained 40% tax-cuts, to satisfy the GOP.

I remember Obama compromising away much of the ACA in order to appease the GOP, and they still voted against it.
You have selective memory because Obama compromised to get DEMOCRATIC support, not the GOP.

Old 01-30-2012, 09:08 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,686,185 times
Who did Obama compromise with on the Bush cut extensions..the DEMS ?
Because in Dec 2010 it was Dem Senate and Dem House.
Where was that promised VETO ?
Why did they even come up for extension because we were told for 2 years..NO EXTENSION.

Old 01-30-2012, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
You have selective memory because Obama compromised to get DEMOCRATIC support, not the GOP.
Then you are contradicting your first line of reasoning -- that Democrats had complete control. The fact that there were DINO Senators in GOP states, means that Obama did not have free control.

Moreover, here is a list of Obama compromises:

PolitiFact | The Obameter: Campaign Promises that are Compromise

Old 01-30-2012, 09:18 AM

From: Of the 1%, by the 1%, for the 1% | Society | Vanity Fair

Quote:
Third, and perhaps most important, a modern economy requires “collective action”—it needs government to invest in infrastructure, education, and technology. The United States and the world have benefited greatly from government-sponsored research that led to the Internet, to advances in public health, and so on. But America has long suffered from an under-investment in infrastructure (look at the condition of our highways and bridges, our railroads and airports), in basic research, and in education at all levels. Further cutbacks in these areas lie ahead.

None of this should come as a surprise—it is simply what happens when a society’s wealth distribution becomes lopsided. The more divided a society becomes in terms of wealth, the more reluctant the wealthy become to spend money on common needs. The rich don’t need to rely on government for parks or education or medical care or personal security—they can buy all these things for themselves. In the process, they become more distant from ordinary people, losing whatever empathy they may once have had. They also worry about strong government—one that could use its powers to adjust the balance, take some of their wealth, and invest it for the common good. The top 1 percent may complain about the kind of government we have in America, but in truth they like it just fine: too gridlocked to re-distribute, too divided to do anything but lower taxes.

Old 01-30-2012, 09:20 AM

5,391 posts, read 7,247,440 times
Quote:
Barack Obama spews class warfare tripe....and it shows up in political conversations across all forms of media. Right here on this forum we have people who have bought into the propoganda. However, many of us see it for what it is.....a nation divider. I think it has ZERO to do with "sore losers" as you surmised in your earlier post.
The nation was already divided politically.

Quote:
“Obama’s ratings have been consistently among the most polarized for a president in the last 60 years,” concludes Gallup’s Jeffrey Jones in a memo summing up the results. “That may not be a reflection on Obama himself as much as on the current political environment in the United States, because Obama’s immediate predecessor, Bush, had similarly polarized ratings, particularly in the latter stages of his presidency after the rally in support from the 9/11 terror attacks faded.”

Our guess is that Jones’ latter hypothesis is the right one — that we are simply living in an era in which Democrats dislike a Republican president (and Republicans dislike a Democratic one) even before the commander in chief has taken a single official action.
Obama: The most polarizing president. Ever. - The Washington Post

When one party enters the era of a new administration with the mantra "we hope he fails" and does everything to see that happen, don't blame the president for polarization.

Old 01-30-2012, 09:26 AM

12,638 posts, read 8,984,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robbobobbo View Post
The nation was already divided politically.

Obama: The most polarizing president. Ever. - The Washington Post

When one party enters the era of a new administration with the mantra "we hope he fails" and does everything to see that happen, don't blame the president for polarization.
Reminds you of the way the filthy Democrats treated Bush, doesn't it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies