Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2012, 02:12 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,710,498 times

Advertisements

Just wondering: how many people listened to the president's remarks at the prayer breakfast?

What he actually said is so far removed from what is presented by the OP, I am having a very hard time actually believing that the author has any firsthand knowledge of the event.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2012, 02:15 PM

5,767 posts, read 5,016,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
Interesting that not a single one of your passages details words actually spoken by Christ. Not one.
I've long suspected that many so-called Christians give more credence to Paul than to Christ. Looks like I'm not too far off.

Very true...and Saul/Paul never knew Jesus. If I'm to choose between the
Four Gospels and the Pauline doctrine, it's no contest; Jesus wins hands down. Saul brought Roman patriarchy into Christ's teachings, corrupting them. Much of what he espouses is contrary to what Jesus taught. Too much weight is given to the Old Testament and Saul; people use them to try to buttress their political beliefs as opposed to following the Beatitudes
and other lessons from Christ. The Golden Rule has been trampled on.

Old 02-03-2012, 02:18 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,710,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evenstar51 View Post
Very true...and Saul/Paul never knew Jesus. If I'm to choose between the
Four Gospels and the Pauline doctrine, it's no contest; Jesus wins hands down. Saul brought Roman patriarchy into Christ's teachings, corrupting them. Much of what he espouses is contrary to what Jesus taught. Too much weight is given to the Old Testament and Saul; people use them to try to buttress their political beliefs as opposed to following the Beatitudes
and other lessons from Christ. The Golden Rule has been trampled on.
So, so true. I am right there with you

Old 02-03-2012, 02:21 PM

5,064 posts, read 5,731,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
I'm not surprised that a Christian would know that Proverbs was spoken words of Jesus. Next... Jesus personally typed the Ten Commandments.
Quote:
Interesting that not a single one of your passages details words actually spoken by Christ. Not one.
I've long suspected that many so-called Christians give more credence to Paul than to Christ. Looks like I'm not too far off.
Ah, so as I expected, people are only picking the parts of the Bible that they liked.
BTW- where's the outrage? You both are outraged whenever someone tries to mix religion and government. I would expect you both to condemn Obama for trying to use the Bible as justification for tax breaks.

I would expect statements like you have both made in the past few days:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
And it is why those drowning in religiosity have an impossible time accepting the reality that this nation was founded on the ground of keeping religion and government separate. I couldn't care less if there are more McDonalds or Churches to count, but the fact that "God" or "Christianity" is NOT ONCE mentioned in the US Constitution.
Quote:
I believe in a God, and I fully support the idea that religion has no place whatsoever in any facet of our government, which includes public schools.
Quote:
As do I.

I'm sure that all of these literate Christians remember that Jesus admonished His followers to pray secretly and not on the 'street corners.'
How can you both feel so strongly about not mixing religion and government on other threads and then be applauding Obama's use of trying to justify tax increases through religion?

Old 02-03-2012, 02:38 PM

5,767 posts, read 5,016,825 times
originally posted by brentwoodgirl: How can you both feel so strongly about not mixing religion and government on other threads and then be applauding Obama's use of trying to justify tax increases through religion? [end quote]

Separation of church and state simply means that the government is not to establish an official state religion. Read about the Reformation and the bloody wars between the Roman Catholic Church and the Huegonots. That type of violence and oppression is what the framers of our Constitution sought to prevent. As for President Obama, it was the National Prayer Breakfast; what better time to bring in the idea that the ultra-wealthy need to give back more to the country and workers that have enabled them to be so very, very rich? Stunning that so many of the 99% want to make sure that Paris Hilton and the Kardashians are able to maintain their lifestyles; I can assure you that they aren't worrying about the welfare of the poor and middle class.

The Huguenots

Old 02-03-2012, 03:11 PM

17,468 posts, read 12,943,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnysee View Post
BEAUTIFUL job, gal. You got rep'ed for this one, for sure. BO is too busy having his emotions lost in his own religious decision making! Oh yeah..separation of church and state is what the libs always try to use as a weapon against we Christians.

But Looook! Obama.....why he's a Marxist is a warped sense of religious beliefs.

Obama Collective Salvation - YouTube
Only when it doesn't fit the agenda of bashing Christianity or taking God off of walls and government sites.

As you see with feeding the poor, they go back to the Bible, they use it to their sick advantage, of keeping people down.

Jesus never said, "enable the people to be poor." I do believe, Jesus spoke of spiritually poor people.

As he said the poor(unbelievers) will always be with you.

Old 02-03-2012, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brentwoodgirl View Post
How can you both feel so strongly about not mixing religion and government on other threads and then be applauding Obama's use of trying to justify tax increases through religion?
It's called using Jesus to their advantage, not really knowing what He said at all.

Old 02-03-2012, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Just wondering: how many people listened to the president's remarks at the prayer breakfast?

What he actually said is so far removed from what is presented by the OP, I am having a very hard time actually believing that the author has any firsthand knowledge of the event.
I listened to it, how do you believe this relates to Jesus? Do you believe when Jesus speaks of the poor, he's talking spiritually or your money?

Old 02-03-2012, 11:36 PM

5,002 posts, read 12,363,370 times
I personally don't know what the upper classes are ranting on about. Tax rates for them are at their historical lows. Did you know right after WWII their tax rate was closer to 90%?

I don't advocate returning to those levels. Far from it. I think a flat tax would benefit everyone and save millions if not billions in fraudulent, erroneous, or otherwise bad tax practices, and the cost of prosecuting them.

But on the same token, I simply don't know why folks making more than $1 million a year are worrying about losing a small percentage more. You don't need $1 million to live a year.

LOL but on the other foot I wouldn't want the government taking any more of my money either. So I guess the rich just have a louder voice to the ears of politicians, so they get taxed less. Bah. Flat tax. Over and done with.

Old 02-04-2012, 02:58 AM

11,078 posts, read 15,084,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
Just who's holding us back, from drilling in the U.S.A.?? Do you ride a horse??
MULEskinner..perhaps you should look that up..

And your point is WHAT on drilling in the U.S.A.? I guess you've never been to Tx,Ok,La,Il,Oh,In,Wy etc have ya...There are rigs running everywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies