Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2012, 10:31 AM

19,893 posts, read 18,450,261 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
Didn't Obama skip all the Prayer Breakfasts in the past and didn't say much when people wondered about it? Oh that's right, this year he has an agenda to push.

Oh you know our President so well! yep getting ready for his big agenda.

However in speaking about Jesus, who does know and sees what is happening, he would be horrifed to see what has become of people's priorities.

And would be disapointed with our politicians.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2012, 10:37 AM

9,827 posts, read 6,938,737 times
Correct me if I'm wrong, but my recollection is that the bible says it is up to those among us that are wealthy to give of their own volition. I don't recall a passage that says that the government of a country should just take it away.

Old 02-04-2012, 11:07 AM

5,376 posts, read 5,348,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
Didn't Obama skip all the Prayer Breakfasts in the past and didn't say much when people wondered about it? Oh that's right, this year he has an agenda to push.
Every U.S. president since Dwight D. Eisenhower has participated at each one during his term in office, including the current president.
Sounds more like you have your own agenda you want to push.

2009 http://content.usatoday.com/communit.../02/62414025/1
2010 http://www.christianpost.com/news/ob...eakfast-43603/
2011 http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2011/...inspirational/

Old 02-04-2012, 01:11 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,280,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plannine View Post
Every U.S. president since Dwight D. Eisenhower has participated at each one during his term in office, including the current president.
Sounds more like you have your own agenda you want to push.

2009 At Prayer Breakfast, Obama prays for 'God's grace' to fill the 'space between us'
2010 Obama, Tebow to Attend Nat'l Prayer Breakfast, Christian News
2011 This Year's National Prayer Breakfast -- Truly Inspirational | Fox News
Maybe it is the promise of free food that gets him to the National Prayer Breakfast and get a chance to compare religions to each other.

Is there a possibility that some here think that his refusal to take part in Days of Prayer by Christians and then going along with Muslims is what seems to be confusing some here. I think that might well be the case.

Old 02-04-2012, 01:14 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,280,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but my recollection is that the bible says it is up to those among us that are wealthy to give of their own volition. I don't recall a passage that says that the government of a country should just take it away.
Very well stated. He is trying to confuse us with things like that that do not say that government should take that wealth and redistribute it to others. Many are willing to go along with letting the government do that little trick instead of allowing those people to contribute to charities. I wonder if all of those of the moneyed class will continue to give to charity as they have when they get to pay taxes for redistribution.

Old 02-04-2012, 01:30 PM

5,376 posts, read 5,348,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Maybe it is the promise of free food that gets him to the National Prayer Breakfast and get a chance to compare religions to each other.

Is there a possibility that some here think that his refusal to take part in Days of Prayer by Christians and then going along with Muslims is what seems to be confusing some here. I think that might well be the case.
Are you referring to the National Day of Prayer?

If so, it becomes even funnier someone whining about it, since it was Obama's DOJ that appealed the ruling that tried to stop the proclamation of the Day.

While Obama didn't have a formal event in 2009 (not sure about 2010 & 2011), other presidents didn't either, including Reagan, who only had one in his eight years in office. All presidents (including Obama) since Truman, have offered proclamations for the day.

Last edited by plannine; 02-04-2012 at 01:45 PM..

Old 02-04-2012, 01:55 PM

11,078 posts, read 15,084,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
I meant, as your only form of transporation. We're not in the ME for the people's security. As the left doesn't allow us to produce oil, our children are sent to war for American transportation.

I'm sure you don't get your tons of hay by horse and wagon, or maybe you do.
No,we have gleaned corn fields with a team and wagon before and plowed a garden or two,but my dad's generation was the last to have to work that hard...Harry Ferguson mass produced the best,most affordable little solution to harnessing a team every morning.

I think me and you are on the same side of the same argument and you have missed the connecting track somewhere.

Old 02-04-2012, 01:56 PM

11,078 posts, read 15,084,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
No need to correct you...you are right.

Old 02-04-2012, 02:10 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,854,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eskercurve View Post
I personally don't know what the upper classes are ranting on about. Tax rates for them are at their historical lows. Did you know right after WWII their tax rate was closer to 90%?
you do realize that very few ever approached paying that 90% tax rate right?

Quote:
I don't advocate returning to those levels. Far from it. I think a flat tax would benefit everyone and save millions if not billions in fraudulent, erroneous, or otherwise bad tax practices, and the cost of prosecuting them.
not only that but a flat tax would increase revenues to the treasury as everyone would know about what they would be paying in taxes at the end of the year, and could plan for it.

Quote:
But on the same token, I simply don't know why folks making more than $1 million a year are worrying about losing a small percentage more. You don't need $1 million to live a year.
many of those in the million dollar per year club, if they are smart, take a large portion of the of that money and put it in a tax free foundation. that way, even though they have to give a percentage of that money away every year to maintain the tax free status, they can give the money to where they want it to go, rather than where the government wants it to go. and that means that many charities end up with more money than they would otherwise. increase the tax rates on these people, and less goes to the charities.

Quote:
LOL but on the other foot I wouldn't want the government taking any more of my money either. So I guess the rich just have a louder voice to the ears of politicians, so they get taxed less. Bah. Flat tax. Over and done with.

Old 02-04-2012, 02:45 PM

9,855 posts, read 10,416,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by california-jewel View Post
Oh you know our President so well! yep getting ready for his big agenda.

However in speaking about Jesus, who does know and sees what is happening, he would be horrifed to see what has become of people's priorities.

And would be disapointed with our politicians.
Yes, he did skip the prayer breakfasts in the past. He made me lol when he said he was moved to pray for Billy Graham berfore leaving his home and that "the spirit" gave him the words to pray (not having been raised in a particularly religious home). Obama is shameless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies