Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2012, 05:17 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,460,154 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Good, now just post the evidence that eliminating the DoE and handing things over to state/local governments would improve those numbers.
What ? I just posted that our standing in the world is going down not up over the years. What have we been doing over the years but getting more FedGov involvement in state education.

History itself is the proof. The more we claim everyone is a winner the further behind we fall. The more money we throw at schools the worse the outcome is.

Here is an article. And it corrects what I posted earlier..the US is #25 in Math based on the 2009 PISA scores. That is out of 34 countries.

In ranking, U.S. students trail global leaders - USATODAY.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2012, 05:39 PM

9,848 posts, read 8,279,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
What do you think?
I think you made a broad statement with no examples of specifics.

Quote:
If they are not demonizing teachers, schools
Excuse me, but the teachers are all UNIONS of elite government employees who get unbelievable pay, benefits and often retired as multimillionaires with the packages they get.

My problem is they don't teach often well at all.

I have relatives at Miramonte in California and they protect the molesting teachers over the students because of the UNIONS.

Quote:
If they are not demonizing teachers, schools, or college students, they are demonizing scientific theories, books, who needs em
College students in college are fine. They should never expect free educations, a free ride in life and not having to start from the bottom.

What scientific theories? Granted college students will get teachers who are scientifically trained that tell students religious people are all F'd in the head in class, so Christians, Jews and other people of faith are under attack in the classrooms of colleges in at least science classes.

Theories are wrong all the time, science minded folks make those politically correct theories the gospel for them. I could care less what they think.

Books are good. There are only three major publishers of educational books and they have put in a lot of politically motivated BS throughout some books, so the books should be reviewed and in some cases the worst should be removed.

We don't need the unions or politics in schools and both should be removed from public schools. If you want to get vouchers for that stuff in private school or to pay more than your taxes for it, go ahead.

Old 02-24-2012, 05:45 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,158,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
How far in Math do you think you'd get if you can't figure out 5x5 ?
That would depend on whether or not your school district is fudging the numbers.
Quote:
Miracle or Mirage?ACT scores and a mysteriously ended cheating probe raise questions about Taft High School’s climb to the top
Question of Cheating at Taft High School

Quote:
Ever since, the math and reading pass rates have stayed above 97 percent for Taft 11th-graders, culminating in the 100 percent smackdown in 2010-11.

Taft has been featured on CBS News, ABC News, National Public Radio, The Christian Science Monitor, Education Week and even a book titled “Inside School Turnarounds.” Taft’s second go-around with the ACT, in the spring of 2011, was no better. Its 66 test-takers, all juniors, averaged 15 as a group.

Ohio Board of Regents data suggests otherwise.
In a report covering the class of 2009, the agency found that 15 of the 16 Taft students who went to a state university or community college needed to take a remedial math or English course as freshmen, or 94 percent.
By comparison, the corresponding number at Hughes was 58 percent (of 53 students), and 52 percent at Western Hills Engineering (of 25).
They were cheating. That isn't exactly the kind of world you want to create...where cheating is the norm or acceptable.

Understand that's a liberal rag, so there is a bit of slant to it, but they still do it some justice.

Still pondering 5 x 5....

Mircea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinny Puppy View Post
An educated person knows that teachers unions are made up by teachers. No teachers, guess what, no teachers union. This post is a clear example of the hostility towards education.
You don't need a teachers union. I see teachers going on strike for money, but I never see teachers going on strike over the curriculum, or going on strike to get child molesters or bad teachers removed and terminated, or stupid policies that do nothing create a larger bureaucracy, or cheating in the classrooms, or "teaching to the test," or anything that really truly matters in education.

And in spite of your emotional drivel, hostility towards unions is not hostility toward education.

Unions and education are mutually exclusive.

Perhaps we'd be better off just buying every kid a Note-Book loaded with instructional software and instead of teachers, we can just pay baby-sitters to watch them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backspace View Post
I would LOVE for the OP to show me proof of a teacher's union doing anything to actually improve our education system or helping our students.
I've made similar comments like you as well and again above. I see teachers striking for their own benefit and enrichment, but when it comes time to do something for the students, or to protect the students, the teachers are suddenly deaf, blind and mute.

I'm sure teachers will say that increasing their pay and benefits does help the students, although that is obviously not apparent.

Educationally...

Mircea

Old 02-24-2012, 05:57 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,046,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rikoshaprl View Post
GOP: Just say no to teacher's unions and the Dept. of Education.
Exactly.

How many children have the unions taught?

How many have the DoE taught?

We need neither.

If stay at home moms can teach their children better than the so called "professional teachers", what does that tell you?

The system is f****d up.

More money will not help.

Old 02-24-2012, 06:01 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,046,327 times
Quote:
What do you think?

If they are not demonizing teachers, schools, or college students, they are demonizing scientific theories

books, who needs em
One scientific fact that you refuse to admit is that if you keep doing the same thing over and over again, with the same results, is the definition of insanity.

Old 02-24-2012, 06:12 PM

2,616 posts, read 2,398,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sman View Post
College is unimportant and unnecessary. Most people only go because society and the media have told them they had to, not because they want to. So they think there's no other way. Why should someone spend years in college and build up thousands in debt to be left without a job afterwards? For instance, some people learn how to cook through their family or have studied the weather and astrology since they were in grade school. As I said earlier, why go to school when you know this stuff already? Doesn't make any sense...
This is a keeper. Why go to college when ya already learned about astrology when you was a young'in?
For instance.....I'm a Capricorn, what's your sign? What else do you need to know.
Or
Meteorology....bullcrap. My granny uses her corns and bunions to predict the weather.
And finally. Don't go college to get a degree in cooking. I know that the elite schools are touting such things as a Bachelors Degree in Omelet making or a Masters in Biscuits and Gravy.

Old 02-24-2012, 06:19 PM

9,848 posts, read 8,279,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baxendale View Post
This is a keeper. Why go to college when ya already learned about astrology when you was a young'in?
For instance.....I'm a Capricorn, what's your sign? What else do you need to know.
Or
Meteorology....bullcrap. My granny uses her corns and bunions to predict the weather.
And finally. Don't go college to get a degree in cooking. I know that the elite schools are touting such things as a Bachelors Degree in Omelet making or a Masters in Biscuits and Gravy.
Many schools are trying to get the tax dollars for reeducating adults out of work and that can be corrupt as well.

Old 02-24-2012, 06:46 PM

9,949 posts, read 8,850,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by helenejen View Post
Let's face it, after Bush and Palin, it's hard to ignore the fact that the GOP works very hard to undermine the importance of knowledge. (And I'm not saying that as a smart*ass.) Given that the economy is driven by knowledge, that knowledge is the most valuable commodity at this point, the undermining of reason for the sake of faith is incredibly dangerous for our country.
According to who? Rick Santorum?

Old 02-24-2012, 06:49 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,460,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCCCB View Post
Many schools are trying to get the tax dollars for reeducating adults out of work and that can be corrupt as well.
Yes, and you too can become a court stenographer and make a high salary.
These jobs are in demand today. Just call this 1-800 number and get your application started today. Don't worry about money because do we have a loan for you !

Or...go back to school and become a Nurse because healthcare is a booming field and they cannot fill the job openings. (Heard the same about teaching in 2008).

Old 02-24-2012, 07:35 PM

33,568 posts, read 18,152,594 times
I think the students should play a part in rating a teacher and if they should be kept in the classroom to teach. They should give a questionaire to each student to describe the teachers ability to teach, explain, have good rapport with the students .

I know I had some great teachers, some good teachers and teachers who didn't like kids or acted like they didn't and were so strict one couldn't even approach them with a question.

So why shouldn't students have a say? I doubt any student would bad mouth a great teacher. I know if a teacher was getting the kids motivated to learn they were always well liked by all students.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies