Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2012, 03:36 PM

3,040 posts, read 5,003,702 times

Advertisements

I don't think anyone is out to "burn educators at the stake" it takes allot to be a educator and I have total respect for those who take their careers seriously. However, there are a number of "educators" that should look for another career path, they should be fired for poor performance but the union will not allow it. When we start putting careers of educators before the education of our children we can see the results, uneducated kids graduating from high school. Then we have a federal government that thinks the soultion is to throw money at the problem, they completely miss the mark. Poor educators equals poor education, fix the teachers, get the family involved in the education of the children again and you'll fix the problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2012, 03:42 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,519,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1984 View Post
+1...Only the brainwashed, the ultra greedy business person, and the fundamentalist Christian are in line with the modern GOP. They need to
sit down and rethink some of their platform because right now they are a cluster ****...

I agree...education is a states rights issue, not a federal issue.

+1...it is a societal issue, not a format or system issue, although I must state that I am not a fan of no child left behind. We shouldn't accomodate to the lowest common denominator...
It is NOT a societal issue. We have gone from traditional academic education to "let the kid discover all this himself".

How far in Math do you think you'd get if you can't figure out 5x5 ?

Old 02-24-2012, 03:44 PM

3,498 posts, read 2,219,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
It is NOT a societal issue. We have gone from traditional academic education to "let the kid discover all this himself".
When you say we, aren't you referring to society, or is this just you and your friends?

Old 02-24-2012, 03:46 PM

37,981 posts, read 22,167,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinny Puppy View Post
Schools are bad because people don't value education. Knocking education or educators isn't going to improve schools.
...nether does throwing federal tax dollars at them.

Old 02-24-2012, 03:47 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,519,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinny Puppy View Post
When you say we, aren't you referring to society, or is this just you and your friends?
Dept of Education and their progressive agenda on education reform.
Rote learning is bad is their mantra.

Old 02-24-2012, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Dept of Education and their progressive agenda on education reform.
Rote learning is bad is their mantra.
When I think of government Depts. I don't think of "we" but I guess that comes from my anti estabishment roots.

Old 02-24-2012, 03:54 PM

68,330 posts, read 54,419,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHouse9 View Post
Yes, because the track record of spending has been such a rousing success. After spending more on education than the Iraq war, the test scores in America have gone down. Way to go Liberal Sucktards, you are definitely the champions of stupidity!!

This is what happens when you remove the burden of learning from the parents and put it solely on the teacher which is what our massive spending on education has essentially done. Holding kids to a higher standard and getting the federal government OUT of education will be the best answer. But sadly, no, the Democrats in their infinite widsom will continue to want to throw more more money at the problem rather than addressing the issues directly.
So what's your plan?

Or are you too busy coming up with asinine sobriquets like 'Sucktards' to actually have anything constructive to offer?

Old 02-24-2012, 03:56 PM

11,078 posts, read 15,086,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
What do you think?

If they are not demonizing teachers, schools, or college students, they are demonizing scientific theories

books, who needs em
Since most RWNJs act as if they dropped out of Elementary School,I believe it.

Old 02-24-2012, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by helenejen View Post
The OP's remarks are not about teachers unions, the Department of Education, or anything of that ilk. It's about conservatives, like Santorum, being anti-education because supposedly the "Father of Lies" works through the "pride of smart people."

Santorum: Satan is Systematically Destroying America - YouTube

LET'S BURN SMART PEOPLE AT THE STAKE!!!!! GET YOUR PITCHFORKS, EVERYONE!!!!! THE KNOWLEDGE ECONOMY IS ECONOMY OF LUCIFER!!!!!!

I've been trying to get this point across but people can't seem to comprehend it. I blame our eduational system

Old 02-24-2012, 03:59 PM

37,981 posts, read 22,167,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backspace View Post
Union Facts: American Federation of Teachers Profile, Membership, Leaders, Political Operations, etc.

How about we look at just one small segment of the American Federation of Teachers. Just one segment in NY.

Here are the salaries for the top paid leaders of just the NY segment.

Top Ten Highest Paid Leaders

Richard IannuzziPresident$294,313.00
Alan LubinExec Vice President$264,007.00Lee CutlerSecretary Treasurer$252,493.00Maria Neira1st Vice President$238,516.00Kathleen Donahue2nd Vice President$229,519.00Anthony Wildman Dir Higher Education Svcs$226,096.00
Pauline KinsellaExecutive Director$221,054.00
Charles SantelliDir-Policy Program Dev$220,242.00
James SandnerGeneral Counsel$215,463.00
Robert LesniewskiDir of Finance and Admin$213,185.00

These salaries do NOTHING to help the education of our children.
Neither does this:

In a defiant raspberry to the city Department of Education — and taxpayers — disgraced teacher Alan Rosenfeld, 66, won’t retire.

Deemed a danger to kids, the typing teacher with a $10 million real estate portfolio hasn’t been allowed in a classroom for more than a decade, but still collects $100,049 a year in city salary — plus health benefits, a growing pension nest egg, vacation and sick pay.

Mayor Bloomberg and Gov. Cuomo can call for better teacher evaluations until they’re blue-faced, but Rosenfeld and six peers with similar gigs costing about $650,000 a year in total salaries are untouchable. Under a system shackled by protections for tenured teachers, they can’t be fired, the DOE says.

NYC can't fire this $100,049-a-year teacher pulled from the classroom 11 years ago - NYPOST.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies