Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2012, 10:36 AM

1,365 posts, read 2,609,812 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
Anyone see the irony of this post?
hahaha I was gonna say something in regards to that too but you stole my thunder
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2012, 10:39 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,519,997 times
Some of the lowest performing schools get huge chunks of money and have been for over 10 years now with NCLB. They are STILL low performing schools.

And the solution ? Why give them MORE money.

Old 02-24-2012, 10:55 AM

994 posts, read 725,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinArmageddons View Post
Which has little to do with spending more on education, and more about the federal government going about it the wrong way.

I don't have a problem with making education a primary concern.

I have a problem with them making standardized testing the primary concern.

That's where the fed went wrong.
How about the fed just stays out. That way we don't have to worry about them going wrong. We were fine before there was a Dept of Education at the federal level to begin with.

Quote:
And defunding education will totally make it better.
It will shift the focus to how to teach better instead of how to spend money. Most of the time you see a politician comment about education, it's about how much to increase the education budget. The national discussion should be about how to improve educational methods, not how much money to spend. We already spend too much for the results we're getting as it is.

Old 02-24-2012, 11:10 AM

24,621 posts, read 19,177,123 times
Quote:
2012 GOP slogan suggestion, "Just say no to education"
I just say "No" to school tax levies, the US Discombobulation of Education, the AFT, the NEA and education spending in general.

I was in Burkino Faso and the teacher had only one semester of college. You know what she got paid? Nothing. She slept in one of the huts of the villagers, and then she traveled around the other villages. They gave her food and apparently clothing as well as payment. The "school" was a lean-to. No electricity, no running water and no books. But it had a blackboard and she did science experiments and taught the kids to read and write in German, English and their own language.

Those kids were smarter and more well-behaved than the snobbish foul-mouthed hyper-active corn-fed technology laden little entitlement-sucking pricks running around your schools.

The best thing you could ever do is slash education spending 50%. In that way, you will force schools to re-invent themselves (and for only half the price).

Just saying "No"....

Mircea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terryj View Post
Education should not be a federal issue, the federal government has no business in the education of our children.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JadeBlade View Post
A far more accurate title to your string would be:

Just say "NO" to Federal meddling in Education.
Amen, brothers. Uh, sisters. Brothers & Sisters. Whatever (I'm not good at guessing gender based on monikers).

Still just saying "No"....

Mircea

Old 02-24-2012, 11:12 AM

You've got schools laying off teachers and crying about budgets and then they go and order iPads for an entire class.

You tell me where the priorities are ....

Old 02-24-2012, 11:19 AM

7,923 posts, read 8,849,255 times
I think this war on Education by the Republicans started When Bush the younger became President............ They all sat in a room and said........ "obviously no one needs Education if this dumb son of a btch made it to President"............lol

Old 02-24-2012, 11:24 AM

811 posts, read 1,318,714 times
Quote:
What do you think?

If they are not demonizing teachers, schools, or college students, they are demonizing scientific theories

books, who needs em
Ya have a link to back this all up any facts? Would live to seem em.

Old 02-24-2012, 11:27 AM

And you think the Dem RTT is any better ? If a kid fails then it's the teacher's fault. Like that will improve education ?

Old 02-24-2012, 11:30 AM

811 posts, read 1,318,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
With thinking like this. it is no wonder the repubs whipped the dems so badly in the 2010 elections.
Guess they didn't learn after 1994 beating either. They are VERY hard learners, and will see it in 2012 also.

Old 02-24-2012, 11:36 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,899,377 times
40% of our children are now born out of wedlock. That is the prime reason for our education problem. Too many bastards in school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies