Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2012, 01:34 PM

19,784 posts, read 15,116,982 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
Anyone see the irony of this post?

ooohhh I do, I do!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2012, 01:37 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,057,820 times
Quote:
What do you think?

If they are not demonizing teachers, schools, or college students, they are demonizing scientific theories

books, who needs em
So, you assume that because we conservatives want the federal government out of education, that we are against education?

After all, look at how great our education system has been doing under the feds.

Old 02-24-2012, 02:05 PM

78,435 posts, read 60,628,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinny Puppy View Post
Schools are bad because people don't value education. Knocking education or educators isn't going to improve schools.
I come from a family with many educators, one of which does so in an impoverished area so I'm well aware of such challenges.

However, I'm also well aware of entrenched interests that make improvement or change difficult and make matters worse. Corruption, cronyism etc. are rife in many of the cities with these challenges.

I know you will see everything (R) as totally wrong and *some* of their points are stupid but *some* have validity....but whatever, I should never even try in these poo throwing monkey threads.

Old 02-24-2012, 02:08 PM

3,498 posts, read 2,219,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
I come from a family with many educators, one of which does so in an impoverished area so I'm well aware of such challenges.

However, I'm also well aware of entrenched interests that make improvement or change difficult and make matters worse. Corruption, cronyism etc. are rife in many of the cities with these challenges.

I know you will see everything (R) as totally wrong and *some* of their points are stupid but *some* have validity....but whatever, I should never even try in these poo throwing monkey threads.
Repeatedly railing against teachers and students is wrong, whether you have an (R) (D) or (I). I know there are bad teachers and bad students, assuming that most are bad however isn't my idea of improving our educational system.

Old 02-24-2012, 02:11 PM

9,949 posts, read 8,855,128 times
Quote:
Repeatedly railing against teachers and students is wrong, whether you have an (R) (D) or (I). I know there are bad teachers and bad students, assuming that most are bad however isn't my idea of improving our educational system.
The problem is you equate "railing against Teacher's unions" to "railing against teachers and students" when in reality, an educated person can easily see the difference.

I despise teacher unions because of the damage and corruption they bring into our education system. An educated person would read that and realize that I don't hate teachers or students, you on the other hand can't comprehend the difference.

I despise tenure or any other program that shelters educators from being held responsible for their actions. You see that as an attack on teachers, educated people see it as an attack on bad teachers.

1,389 posts, read 1,313,395 times
Pub. ed. is in decline due to several factors but mainly:

Some inferior teachers (esp. those wanting to brainwash kids instead of actually teaching the 3 Rs)

A system that discourages accountability and meritocracy

School authorities not allowed to actually discipline an unruly student properly.

Welfare state's legacy (kids from single-parent homes, etc.)

Drug prohibition comes into play when gangs scour 8th grade-up for employee recruits, and even clients.

3,204 posts, read 2,868,998 times
Quote:
Schools are bad because people don't value education. Knocking education or educators isn't going to improve schools.

Obviously neither does paying them more. They keep getting raises and the results seem to move the other direction.

Old 02-24-2012, 02:13 PM

3,498 posts, read 2,219,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backspace View Post
The problem is you equate "railing against Teacher's unions" to "railing against teachers and students" when in reality, an educated person can easily see the difference.

I despise teacher unions because of the damage and corruption they bring into our education system. An educated person would read that and realize that I don't hate teachers or students, you on the other hand can't comprehend the difference.
An educated person knows that teachers unions are made up by teachers. No teachers, guess what, no teachers union. This post is a clear example of the hostility towards education.

Old 02-24-2012, 02:16 PM

9,949 posts, read 8,855,128 times
Quote:
An educated person knows that teachers unions are made up by teachers. No teachers, guess what, no teachers union. This post is a clear example of the hostility towards education.
Teacher's unions are paid for BY teachers in the form of their dues. Name just one teacher's union and I'll show you union leaders who aren't teachers who are paid more than any teacher member in their union. Name one teacher's union and I'll show you an organization that overwhelmingly leans left in their political support because they thrive on the money that Democrats funnel in their direction.

Go ahead, name one.

Old 02-24-2012, 02:19 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,787,059 times
Quote:
What do you think?

If they are not demonizing teachers, schools, or college students, they are demonizing scientific theories

books, who needs em
Demonizing liberals.
Demonizing independent parties.
Demonizing moderates.
Demonizing half the species failing to live up to their defective male standard.
Demonizing practicing Christians.

Rounding up the usual suspects as they have for thousands of years, you'd think they'd catch a glimpse of themselves in the mirror for a refreshing change.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies