Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2012, 09:01 PM

155 posts, read 134,893 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzards27 View Post
Are you personally having a conflict with one of these "fascist" groups? Do you know of a conflict first hand? Just wondering because most people wouldn't see this as an issue.
I am for some historic preservation as I said. I do know of several people (my aunt and uncle) who owned a house in a historic neighborhood with the intent to fix it up in Tucson in the mid 90s and had nothing but problems. They are both reasonable people and take pride in the houses they have owned. One of the problems was that the windows were in terrible shape and the HD officer demanded they not be replaced but instead go through the extra costs of trying to repair them (I guess they were in really bad shape).

They honestly just had one problem after another. If you have time go through this entire topic and read "KSHE's" comments to those who are for property rights. She was on a historic board and is a perfect example of what I and others are talking about. Look at how many times she states that others and myself are uneducated, stupid because we are not for having another layer of bureaucracy tell us what we can and can not do with our own property and take away more freedom with property.

She lives in a delusion where she is smarter then anyone who does not agree with her. To be honest you would think she would be doing a lot more then interior decorating if that was the case. I say this because as she said she was a member of a historic district board. Would you want someone like that making decisions on your property? Would you want someone on a power trip and sees her "vision" for what a property should be dictating to you? I know I would not.

This is not about ripping off the front of a historic building, demolishing it etc. I can understand that. BTW My aunt and uncle moved out of that house years ago and it is still in bad shape to this day!

Last edited by Macaw1981; 02-27-2012 at 09:09 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2012, 09:19 PM

6,721 posts, read 5,201,923 times
Ok, I read down thru this and for the life of me I cannot understand what your beef is. You say that law was approved in what, 2006? If your wishes are protected by that law what this thread really about?

Old 02-27-2012, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post
I can see both points, but I come down on your side. The reason being that preserving and updating historic structures is viewed as "sustainable" by the authoritarian greenies, who will be telling the homeowner what, when and how, along with what materials. Plan on plenty of inspections by the do-gooders. The good of the community vs your rights as a homeowner.
If a structure is so historic that the town wants it preserved, they should purchase it, and turn it into a museum.
Agenda 21 is all about the loss of private property rights. Look for the word "sustainable" and reject whatever it's attached to.

The catch phrase amongs preservationists is now, “the greenest building is the one already built.
Sustainable Development v. Historic Preservation

Depopulation Agenda 21 Simplified - Must Watch - Click Show More - YouTube
Interesting. I am going to have to research this more. The first thing I would normally think is conspiracy theory when I hear things like this. But many of the very same things they are saying in the video is being said by actual UN on their agenda 21 webpage. Interesting and thanks.

Old 02-27-2012, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Ok, I read down thru this and for the life of me I cannot understand what your beef is. You say that law was approved in what, 2006? If your wishes are protected by that law what this thread really about?
I have over 30 historic districts in my city alone. I have people who I know that prior to 2006 had no choice in joining their HD. I just want people to be informed of what they are getting into. Many Historic Districts are not that far off from a HOA in terms of restrictions. BTW These districts were put in place prior to 2006. I have no problem with 2 or 3 but we are up to over 30. When is it enough?

Old 02-27-2012, 09:54 PM

6,721 posts, read 5,201,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macaw1981 View Post
I have over 30 historic districts in my city alone. I have people who I know that prior to 2006 had no choice in joining their HD. I just want people to be informed of what they are getting into. Many Historic Districts are not that far off from a HOA in terms of restrictions. BTW These districts were put in place prior to 2006. I have no problem with 2 or 3 but we are up to over 30. When is it enough?
You gotta pick your battles in life. It just does seem to be a big issue in light of that law. Ranting about smashing out Windows and destroying vintage cars on an on line forum seems like a huge waste of energy. If you want to alert homeowners in your locale you should be looking for a better platform.

Me, I enjoy touring the backroads of America and exploring the "adventures in architecture" I find. I like exploring the history of America found in its buildings. Every home demolished of rehabed diminishes our history.

Do what you want with your home, it doesn't sound historic and I'm sure better examples exist.

Old 02-27-2012, 10:25 PM

Quote:
You gotta pick your battles in life. It just does seem to be a big issue in light of that law. Ranting about smashing out Windows and destroying vintage cars on an on line forum seems like a huge waste of energy. If you want to alert homeowners in your locale you should be looking for a better platform.

Me, I enjoy touring the backroads of America and exploring the "adventures in architecture" I find. I like exploring the history of America found in its buildings. Every home demolished of rehabed diminishes our history.

Do what you want with your home, it doesn't sound historic and I'm sure better examples exist.
My house would be considered historic..if they could get around my veto on the issue. Houses are built first and foremost to live in and are not museums. I don't think that expressing my concerns is any different then what others do on other forums.

"It just does seem to be a big issue in light of that law." Did you mean not seem to be a big issue? (in regards to prop 207)

Old 02-27-2012, 10:35 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,165,825 times
Quote:
But I am seeing more and more historic districts spread like wildfire around the country....
Yes, isn't it wonderful?

I live in an area settled by Germans. The architecture is stunning. Unique. A group of Italians also arrived and constructed buildings in the Italianate style. It actually compliments the German style.

That people would want to preserve such buildings is a good thing, especially after I saw a perfectly good 250+year old 3 story farm-house get torn down to build McMansions. "New" is not necessarily better, especially when "new" is butt-ugly and totally lacking in warmth and character.

Owning property is optional, not a requirement, and if you don't like it or cannot handle it, then sell it. It isn't like you won't get a good deal.

Historically preserving...

Mircea

Old 02-27-2012, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Yes, isn't it wonderful?

I live in an area settled by Germans. The architecture is stunning. Unique. A group of Italians also arrived and constructed buildings in the Italianate style. It actually compliments the German style.

That people would want to preserve such buildings is a good thing, especially after I saw a perfectly good 250+year old 3 story farm-house get torn down to build McMansions. "New" is not necessarily better, especially when "new" is butt-ugly and totally lacking in warmth and character.

Owning property is optional, not a requirement, and if you don't like it or cannot handle it, then sell it. It isn't like you won't get a good deal.

Historically preserving...

Mircea
It is not up to you to decide rather I can handle owning my own house..it is not up to anyone else either with regards to historic preservation. I have made my house what it is. If later in the week I decide to put in bay windows I will do it...again its mine. That was the whole point I was making. If you are so into historic preservation then buy a old house and "preserve" it. But mind your own business.

BTW No it is not wonderful to have everything historic. "when everything is historic nothing is historic". This is the United States and not Romania. We value freedom and liberty here.

Last edited by Macaw1981; 02-27-2012 at 11:04 PM..

Old 02-28-2012, 05:09 AM

23,416 posts, read 37,001,401 times
One wonders if the OP has an issue with local building codes and zoning ordinances.
After all, its "his property" and he should be able to do what he wants on it.

Old 02-28-2012, 05:10 AM

23,416 posts, read 37,001,401 times
Quote:
It is not up to you to decide rather I can handle owning my own house..it is not up to anyone else either with regards to historic preservation. I have made my house what it is. If later in the week I decide to put in bay windows I will do it...again its mine. That was the whole point I was making. If you are so into historic preservation then buy a old house and "preserve" it. But mind your own business.

BTW No it is not wonderful to have everything historic. "when everything is historic nothing is historic". This is the United States and not Romania. We value freedom and liberty here.
Bay windows on an adobe.
Thats just funny.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies