Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2007, 04:52 PM

5,110 posts, read 7,139,842 times

Advertisements

Please stop this now. Please stop equating anti-war with anti-military. It's what scum does that doesn't have a defense for bad policies (which is why wingnuts often make the charge).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2007, 05:13 PM

2,032 posts, read 6,889,780 times
Anyone can protest the war in Iraq and be "anti-war" and peacefully protest that action. But when someone intentionally desecrates or spits on the grave of a dead soldier and shows no respect(whether or not they agree with the war, etc) that should be prosecuted as a serious crime. The memorials in Washington were not just placed there for amusement for the 30 million tourists who visit there. It is not Disney World. Of course, those of us who respect the memorials know there are many mentally deranged people out there and we must take each case individually. Anti-war is not anti-military but when the anti-war protests spill over to destroying the memorials, something must be done. We all owe it to our fellow citizens. Its the least we can do! I stood in line once to the Vietnam Memorial and an older man was standing in front of me. He looked back at me and said "Its too bad all of these people died for nothing." I didn't say anything because I didn't understand why he made such an inapropriate comment. I later thought there must be a lot of Americans out there who are ignorant of why these memorials are there. A memorial to 50,000 dead people is not the place to make a poltical statement! I am ashamed we are even talking about this!

Old 09-17-2007, 05:16 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,328,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
Please stop this now. Please stop equating anti-war with anti-military. It's what scum does that doesn't have a defense for bad policies (which is why wingnuts often make the charge).
JoeP, your message would be much more persuasive if you didn't use terms like "scum" and "wingnuts."

Just a thought.

Old 09-17-2007, 05:59 PM

5,760 posts, read 11,545,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roanoker 4 View Post
Anyone can protest the war in Iraq and be "anti-war" and peacefully protest that action. But when someone intentionally desecrates or spits on the grave of a dead soldier and shows no respect(whether or not they agree with the war, etc) that should be prosecuted as a serious crime. The memorials in Washington were not just placed there for amusement for the 30 million tourists who visit there. It is not Disney World. Of course, those of us who respect the memorials know there are many mentally deranged people out there and we must take each case individually. Anti-war is not anti-military but when the anti-war protests spill over to destroying the memorials, something must be done. We all owe it to our fellow citizens. Its the least we can do! I stood in line once to the Vietnam Memorial and an older man was standing in front of me. He looked back at me and said "Its too bad all of these people died for nothing." I didn't say anything because I didn't understand why he made such an inapropriate comment. I later thought there must be a lot of Americans out there who are ignorant of why these memorials are there. A memorial to 50,000 dead people is not the place to make a poltical statement! I am ashamed we are even talking about this!

But who says it was done by anyone who was anti-war or even a protestor?

Old 09-17-2007, 09:48 PM

3,301 posts, read 6,326,555 times
Default Iraq War Memorial Vandalized

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProudCapMarine View Post
Just Announced:

Park Police Say Memorial Was Vandalized
washingtonpost.com washingtonpost.com - nation, world, technology and Washington area news and headlines

By Michael E. Ruane
Washington Post Staff Writer
Monday, September 17, 2007; 2:32 PM

The unidentified substance that was found splashed on the Vietnam Veterans Memorial earlier this month was the result of vandalism, the U.S. Park Police said today.

Sgt. Robert Lachance, a spokesman for the Park Police, said the investigation into the incident is continuing, but the detective on the case had ruled it an act of vandalism. Lachance said he could provide no more details because the probe is still underway.

washingtonpost.com washingtonpost.com - nation, world, technology and Washington area news and headlines
CHECKOUT THESE LINKS. I BET THERE ARE MORE...

Beeville war memorial destroyed, veterans mourn
Corpus Christi, TX | KRISTV.COM |Beeville war memorial destroyed, veterans mourn (http://www.kristv.com/Global/story.asp?S=6487659 - broken link)

Iraq War Memorial Vandalized
9&10 News: Iraq War Memorial Vandalized

War Memorial Destroyed
War Memorial Destroyed

Three different memorials, all in the last few months. Not that there is a conspiracy or anything. Just with all that out there, I have no doubt that there are idiots out there who would try to vandalize the Wall.
Delphi Forums Member

Old 09-17-2007, 10:00 PM

4,714 posts, read 8,460,936 times
Default BILL OF RIGHTS DEFACED in Guantanamo, Cuba!

Please fill us in on this one, Mr. Marine!

P.S. WHEN are you going to add an article to your website about former U.S. Rep. Duke Cunningham, that fine former military man? (but who is now a jailbird in federal prison)

Duke Cunningham - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 09-18-2007, 11:56 AM

Default "It's deplorable that someone would vandalize what's really a national shrine," said Jan C. Scruggs, founder and presid

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
Here's the first internet news article.

"It's deplorable that someone would vandalize what's really a national shrine," said Jan C. Scruggs, founder and president of the Memorial Fund. "It's an outrage. It's sad."

PICTURES AT: Vietnam Memorial Wall Defaced This Weekend (September 7-9, 2007)

Police say Vietnam memorial vandalized
Police say Vietnam memorial vandalized - Yahoo! News (broken link)

WASHINGTON - An oily substance found splashed on the Vietnam Veterans Memorial this month was the result of vandalism, U.S. Park Police determined.

Sgt. Robert Lachance, a Park Police spokesman, said Monday that a detective made the conclusion, but he declined to provide further details because of the investigation is ongoing.

The Vietnam Veterans Memorial Fund, which built the structure, has offered a $5,000 reward for information leading to an arrest and conviction in the case.

The oily substance on the black granite wall — which bears the names of more than 58,000 men and women killed or missing in the Vietnam War — was first reported Sept. 7. National Park Service officials said they did not know what the substance was, and at first said it was unclear whether it was the result of vandalism or some kind of accident.

On Monday, dark blotches remained along a stone curb at the base of the wall for much of its length. At least 14 of its 140 inscribed panels appeared to be stained.

More of the article at: Police say Vietnam memorial vandalized - Yahoo! News (broken link)

Old 09-18-2007, 11:58 AM

7,331 posts, read 15,385,654 times
What does the repost have to do with JoeP's post? Are you trying to prove him wrong?

Old 09-18-2007, 12:01 PM

Default This thread is about America's radical Left's actions against America's honorable, brave men and women in uniform.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParkTwain View Post
Please fill us in on this one, Mr. Marine!

P.S. WHEN are you going to add an article to your website about former U.S. Rep. Duke Cunningham, that fine former military man? (but who is now a jailbird in federal prison)

Duke Cunningham - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Why don't you set up your own thread on the subject. No one is stopping you from setting it up.

This thread is about America's radical Left's actions against America's honorable, brave men and women in uniform.

Old 09-18-2007, 12:07 PM

Default Do you think the American Anti-American LEFT are trying to destroy the morale of our troops...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBredChicagoan View Post
What does the repost have to do with JoeP's post? Are you trying to prove him wrong?
I'm not trying to prove anyone wrong. I'm just posting facts. There is no need to discuss empty remarks.

Stay with the topic. How do you feel about America's Anti-American LEFT disgracing our Veterans Memorials around America?

Do you think they are trying to destroy the morale of our troops...?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies