Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2012, 08:25 AM

11,446 posts, read 16,191,559 times

Advertisements

Try Fargo, North Dakota.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2012, 08:26 AM

15,706 posts, read 11,780,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
Another elitist lefty.

Wouldn't your travel dollars go further by giving to the poor? Or is that someone else's job?
I don't travel much. Can't afford it.

Old 03-21-2012, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
This post demonstrates an alarming ignorance of United States history.
What does my opinion about the value of visiting parts of the US have to do with ignorance or US history? Kansas is boring. It's flat and there is nothing to see except the Westboro Baptist Church.

Are opinions no longer allowed here? If you like Kansas, more power to you. I'll take France or Switzerland over Kansas.

Old 03-21-2012, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterboy7375 View Post
Dont know where you go but yellowstone and a lot of the west is awesome. New England is pretty cool too.
I like the North East, and the West Coast. I would also visit Colorado, Hawaii, and Chicago. I've already seen the entire east coast. Nothing else in the US interests me.

I just personally prefer European culture.

Old 03-21-2012, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Onions View Post
Actually, they used to get such protection -- now it extends only for the (former) President and his/her spouse, for up to 10 years, and the (former) President's children, until age 16 or 10 years after the President leaves office.

President Clinton was the first President affected by the current law.

You're definitely correct, however, about the fact that other Presidents and their children have routinely vacationed abroad.
Actually, Clinton is the last president who will receive lifetime protection. Bush onward are only protected for 10 years after leaving office.

United States Secret Service: Frequently Asked Questions

In 1997, Congress enacted legislation (Public Law 103-329) that limits Secret Service protection for former presidents to 10 years after leaving office. Under this new law, individuals who are in office before January 1, 1997, will continue to receive Secret Service protection for their lifetime. Individuals elected to office after that time will receive protection for 10 years after leaving office. Therefore, President Clinton will be the last president to receive lifetime protection.

Old 03-21-2012, 08:43 AM

23,416 posts, read 37,017,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
"Lots of schools" send their 13 year olds (what's that, 7th grade?) on vacations in Mexico? I don't recall being sent there when I was that age...maybe I was sick that day.
We went on a school trip to France when I was 13, it was the Bicentennial, the entire French class went.
Guess I must have lived in a better school district.

Old 03-21-2012, 08:48 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,292,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Hmnn...isn't part of the job of being a parent to place reasonable limitations on what your children can do?
And you get to decide what that is for YOUR children, not anyone else's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgyeldell View Post
Your missing out on a lot if you think the USA is boring. We as a country have one of the most diverse geography in the world. I know for a fact Alabama is a beautiful state. Go to just north of Birmingham and you have the foot hills to the Appalachian mountains.
It's all about preferences.
Alabama is a beautiful state, to you.
Others may not think that at all.
So your "for a fact" is simply for you.

Last edited by chielgirl; 03-21-2012 at 09:00 AM..

Old 03-21-2012, 09:18 AM

39,875 posts, read 26,526,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
We went on a school trip to France when I was 13, it was the Bicentennial, the entire French class went.
Guess I must have lived in a better school district.

I guess so! I was aware that taxpayers were expected to pay for public education. I wasn't aware that they were expected to pay for kids vacations to Europe. Maybe the problem isn't just teachers unions.

Old 03-21-2012, 09:20 AM

15,866 posts, read 21,452,288 times
Quote:
I guess so! I was aware that taxpayers were expected to pay for public education. I wasn't aware that they were expected to pay for kids vacations to Europe. Maybe the problem isn't just teachers unions.
The parents pay for the educational excursions (I'm guessing you've never been in an immersion language environment if you call it a "vacation" - shame!), not the taxpayer. Similarly, the Obamas paid for Malia's trip to Mexico.

Old 03-21-2012, 09:47 AM

23,416 posts, read 37,017,268 times
Quote:
Where did you get that taxpayers paid for our trip to France in 1976?
Do you have children?
Do you have a clue how kids raise $ for school trips?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies