Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2013, 07:23 AM

73,038 posts, read 62,646,469 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
Perhaps he wasn't.

I can't look into his soul and know why he did it.

The fact remains that we have murder rates in the inner city at an alarming rate. Not just this year, not just the past few years, but for DECADES. DECADES. We have had very high murder rates in places like Detroit for longer than many of the posters on these message boards have been alive.

The city of Detroit seems unable to stop the tragedy (the city government is corrupt and ineffective). The governors of Michigan have not stepped in Democrat or Republican to make a focus of stemming the violence. The Presidents of my life haven't made a large push to stem Detroit's violence.

Someone needs to get the ball rolling. Someone needs to give this national tragedy more attention.

Supposedly according to the local news, a young Black man is safer serving in Afghanistan than living in Detroit. A black man is safer serving in a WAR than in his hometown if it is Detroit. And get this, most murders in Detroit go unsolved by a large margin - almost encouraging the street gangs.

We need to wake up. Anyone who brings attention to this is doing a service. Anyone who wants to find a solution to this is better than anyone name calling those who want to see this end.

I am sick of being sick to my stomach hearing of the death. I am sick of the waste of life and talents as people die young needlessly and don't live up to their potential. Something needs to change...sooner than later.
But my point is that Bill O'Reilly doesn't sincerely care. I feel that the only reason he is saying any of this is out of anger and resentment. At least with Bill Cosby, he has a vested interest in making things better. It isn't just WHAT someone says, but WHY and HOW they are saying it. Why should I listen to someone who is approaching me with arrogance and resentment? Why?

And I already know the statistics with Black on Black crime. I know it's nothing new. Alot of it is tied to the drug trade. I've been saying that and so far, no one is talking about the drug war. And Detroit is not the only place where murders go unsolved. New Orleans is even worse in this aspect. I know the statistics, but Bill O'Reilly, well, his reasons for saying what he said weren't to make things better, but rather, to saying what his constituents wanted him to say, and out of some resentment. If someone comes at you with arrogance and resentment, are you going to want to listen to that person, vs someone who has a vested interest in changing things for the better?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2013, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigantown View Post
Someone needs to answer why North and South Americas contain most of the worlds most dangerous cities.
A big part is the drug trade.

Old 08-11-2013, 07:25 PM

26,511 posts, read 15,088,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
But my point is that Bill O'Reilly doesn't sincerely care. I feel that the only reason he is saying any of this is out of anger and resentment. At least with Bill Cosby, he has a vested interest in making things better. It isn't just WHAT someone says, but WHY and HOW they are saying it. Why should I listen to someone who is approaching me with arrogance and resentment? Why?

And I already know the statistics with Black on Black crime. I know it's nothing new. Alot of it is tied to the drug trade. I've been saying that and so far, no one is talking about the drug war. And Detroit is not the only place where murders go unsolved. New Orleans is even worse in this aspect. I know the statistics, but Bill O'Reilly, well, his reasons for saying what he said weren't to make things better, but rather, to saying what his constituents wanted him to say, and out of some resentment. If someone comes at you with arrogance and resentment, are you going to want to listen to that person, vs someone who has a vested interest in changing things for the better?
Maybe Bill O'Reilly is mentioning the problems, because he is a jerk - I don't know. As I said, neither you or I can look into his soul and know his true motivation.

What do you mean with a vested interest? We are ALL Americans. Our murder rate is too high. It is especially too high in our inner cities like Detroit. All of these murders and poverty hurts us all in the long run. Why can't you see that? The future of this country is tied to all Americans.

Some within the black community think that O'Reilly didn't go far enough. Including CNN's Lemon.

CNN's Don Lemon: Bill O'Reilly's Criticism Of Black Community "Doesn't Go Far Enough" | RealClearPolitics

At least O'Reilly mentioned a problem that most politicians ignore and he did so knowing that he would get called a racist for doing so. If more people would mention this national tragedy, perhaps we would admit its there in the open and work towards solutions.

Old 08-11-2013, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
Maybe Bill O'Reilly is mentioning the problems, because he is a jerk - I don't know. As I said, neither you or I can look into his soul and know his true motivation.

What do you mean with a vested interest? We are ALL Americans. Our murder rate is too high. It is especially too high in our inner cities like Detroit. All of these murders and poverty hurts us all in the long run. Why can't you see that? The future of this country is tied to all Americans.

Some within the black community think that O'Reilly didn't go far enough. Including CNN's Lemon.

CNN's Don Lemon: Bill O'Reilly's Criticism Of Black Community "Doesn't Go Far Enough" | RealClearPolitics

At least O'Reilly mentioned a problem that most politicians ignore and he did so knowing that he would get called a racist for doing so. If more people would mention this national tragedy, perhaps we would admit its there in the open and work towards solutions.
The thing is, I care WHY a person is bringing something up. If a person is being a jerk, then all that does is cause more problems, more alienation, more anger.

What I mean by vested interest is this. I don't believe Bill O'Reilly really cares, but might have said those things just to say what others wanted to hear. I don't see him putting his money where his mouth is.

And another thing is this. This was not the correct time to bring this up. Where was Bill O'Reilly when Derrion Albert got murdered by his own people? If we are all Americans, then we should tackle all crime committed by all people, not only the crimes committed by Blacks.

If we want solutions, we need to have a discussion based on actually caring about people, about wanting to solve problems, not a conversation based on arrogance.

And this tragedy has been mentioned before. Bill Cosby brought it up. Even Jesse Jackson has brought this up.

Look, my point is I'm concerned about WHY Bill O'Reilly brought it up, and if he's just saying what his constituents want to hear. I have to wonder if his constituents want to hear him talk poorly about Blacks, albeit wrapped in a national tragedy. We can't have an honest and civilized conversation if the only thing being seen is anger and resentment.

Last edited by green_mariner; 08-11-2013 at 09:18 PM..

Old 09-17-2013, 12:38 PM

I just thought of something. Whenever I watch the news, I hear about crime being committed, and it is often Black on Black crime. I see it on the news, so obviously it is being reported. I think what some people want the news to really say out front is "Blacks are a problem, avoid them all". I think that is what some people want the main stream media to say, rather than just report the crime.

Old 10-19-2013, 09:34 PM

16,603 posts, read 8,622,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
What's your solution Edward?
What is yours

Lets face it, knowing the problem and not playing PC with the facts is important.

Old 10-20-2013, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
What is yours

Lets face it, knowing the problem and not playing PC with the facts is important.
That is not the point. That is basically a moot point. The person you were responding too was asking the question "what is the solution" because if all one is going to do is complain about Black people and rant about "Black people are the scourge of this nation", if that is all one is going to do, with no solutions being brought forwards, then what is the point in talking about it? If you are going to talk about it, then one had better have some good, productive solutions, or at least be willing to brainstorm for solutions. In short, put one's money where their mouth is. The issue is about WHY this is being brought up. Alot of people bring this up mainly out of an anger towards Blacks, rather than out of concern for others.

Old 10-20-2013, 08:55 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,713,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
That is not the point. That is basically a moot point. The person you were responding too was asking the question "what is the solution" because if all one is going to do is complain about Black people and rant about "Black people are the scourge of this nation", if that is all one is going to do, with no solutions being brought forwards, then what is the point in talking about it? If you are going to talk about it, then one had better have some good, productive solutions, or at least be willing to brainstorm for solutions. In short, put one's money where their mouth is. The issue is about WHY this is being brought up. Alot of people bring this up mainly out of an anger towards Blacks, rather than out of concern for others.
Often times when I read about a crime that happened, from the online local news, if the story does not tell the race of the suspects many posters will discredit the reporting for not providing that "key" piece of information......as if they need a precise description to go on a bounty hunt for the suspects. No....they just want to know the race for non productive reasons. When the race is known, posters then often go about labeling the suspects as animals, savages and such, but it does not stop there. They then often go after the parents, suggesting that such people can only come from terrible parents. Even worse, the victims, when black, are often vilified as much as the suspect. There was this one case where a black women, who was 26 with 5 kids and not married, had gone missing and the family was seeking help in finding her. Well, the comments were more concerned about her having 5 kids and not being married, and the supposed cost to the taxpayers, than her safe recovery. Others were suggesting that she demonstrated an irresponsible life and she had probably just run off and ditched the kids. Turned out that she had been killed and the body dumped.

When suspects and victims are white....there is a CLEAR different standard of assumption. Whites are generally assumed to be "mentally disturbed" or having some problems in their lives that causes them to "go bad". The victims are always true victims in the sense of the word, unlike many black victims are seen.

The bottom line is that this is still AmeriKKKa.....and has yet to become America. Thus, why should any of this be a surprise?

Old 10-20-2013, 05:29 PM

1,214 posts, read 1,697,374 times
No because then they can't make as much money off of it. The MSM only cares about a white person killing a black or other non-white person because then they can spin it into a false race issue and fan the flames of a made up "race war" that so many sheeple buy into.

I can gurantee you that if Zimmerman was black, the media would have never said a thing. Neither would Obama or Al Sharpton or Jesse Jackson or anybody else. Also kind of sad that despite Zimmerman being in all actuality Hispanic, the media falsely reported that he was Caucasian.

I hope people wake up one day and realize that the mainstream media is not a reflection of reality. Statistically speaking, the most dangerous threat to young black people is other young black people, and we as a society need to address that problem. Unfortunately the cold hard truth of the matter is that the vast majority of people (including black people as well) simply don't care. It's only an issue to them when it involves a person of a different skin color.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies