Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2012, 09:30 AM

12,149 posts, read 8,415,085 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidkitty View Post
I don't see the point we need to scrap it because a small portion of americans don't want insurance.
67% want it repealed according to the poll this morning. Is that a small enough portion?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2012, 09:31 AM

2,083 posts, read 1,620,195 times
A big problem is those who want everything wrapped up into a single insurance plan that covers everything from birth control to psychiatric treatment. The more things that are covered in your plan, the more it's naturally going to cost. Imagine how much car insurance would cost if it also covered oil changes, tire rotations, tune-ups, washes, flushes, winterization, etc.

We need more options for basic plans that cover emergencies and serious health issues. If you need stitches or have the flu, pay for it out of pocket or get on a payment plan from your doctor if necessary.

Old 03-29-2012, 09:33 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,674,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
There were times when moms delivered their babies at home without the presence of any doctors
Was that back when the infant mortality rate was so high?

Old 03-29-2012, 09:33 AM

12,282 posts, read 13,234,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
67% want it repealed according to the poll this morning. Is that a small enough portion?
I wonder how much of that 67% is just KNEE JERKERS and actually know what is going on rather than just anything against President Obama?

Old 03-29-2012, 09:35 AM

12,282 posts, read 13,234,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsRock View Post
Yep. We chose not to start a family for ALL OF THE ABOVE.
THEN YOU CAN AGREE THAT ANY OF YOUR POSTS WOULD NOT APPLY TO ANYONE WITH A FAMILY? darn caps sorry.

Old 03-29-2012, 09:37 AM

1,458 posts, read 1,398,069 times
I still think we need a 100% pay as you go system. If you can get some sort of insurance plan, go for it. I don;t think there should be any regulation of health insurance either, meaning requirements to provide this or that. Rates should also be unregulated, along with interstate availability.

Just like car insurance, life insurance, any other insurance, you either pick smart or you don't.

I'm in favor of doing away completely with the deductibility of premiums, whether you be self-employed, or a Fortune 500 company. No more. I wish all companies could do away with their insurance plans altogether. They serve to inflate the market, limit access to those not affiliated, and limit choice.

Game on once people start shopping for themselves.

Old 03-29-2012, 09:38 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,393,781 times
Quote:
Yep. We chose not to start a family for ALL OF THE ABOVE.
That's fine. But that's not a reality for most people. Nor is it a particularly desirable outcome. Without educated people with economic means having any children, then we have to import our children and future generations.

Usually, that means importing poverty. Which means costs go up for ALL of us, in the end.

We already are absorbing Mexico's underclass, and are raising their poor children. I suppose we have an almost infinite world of possibilities to draw future population growth from all around the world!

Old 03-29-2012, 09:39 AM

9,701 posts, read 5,110,249 times
Quote:
My disability insurance pays my SALARY if I cannot work so that I can pay my bills due to illness or accident. What do you consider the "average person"? I consider myself average. My wife and I have no kids and a combined income of less than $200K/yr. We don't travel or go out much. It is all about priorities.
Haha... your ceiling for what you qualify as average shows you're not average. I wouldn't be surprised if you & your wife's disposable income is more than many Americans' salary/wages.

It's easy to talk about priorities when you when you have enough disposable income that sacrificing going out a couple of times a month is enough to cover a private plan.

But what if you don't? What if you've got a kid and make $40k? I'd love to see all the luxuries someone like that has to give up to find an extra $700-1000/MONTH to pay for insurance.

Old 03-29-2012, 09:40 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,704,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vejadu View Post
A big problem is those who want everything wrapped up into a single insurance plan that covers everything from birth control to psychiatric treatment. The more things that are covered in your plan, the more it's naturally going to cost. Imagine how much car insurance would cost if it also covered oil changes, tire rotations, tune-ups, washes, flushes, winterization, etc.

We need more options for basic plans that cover emergencies and serious health issues. If you need stitches or have the flu, pay for it out of pocket or get on a payment plan from your doctor if necessary.
You know, I'm getting really tired of comparisons to car insurance. Health insurance has evolved, so to speak, from covering hospitalization only to covering other aspects of health care. But so what? There's not much point to paying $$$$$$$$$ for HI, and getting no benefit from it unless you land in the ICU. Adding in some of this outpatient stuff does not raise the price *that* much, either, especially if you figure your out of pocket expenses in a high-deductible plan.

Out patient care, and pharmacology has evolved as well over the years. No longer are prescriptions limited to antibiotics and a few of the old standbys for blood pressure, etc. Many illnesses are treated "in the community" meaning via doctor visits rather than hospitalization these days. Stuff that would have landed you in the hospital 40 years ago, and covered by insurance, will be often be treated as OP these days.

Maybe you should price out stitches. Generally, the flu does not require much treatment; some people go to the dr b/c they feel so awful, but there is not treatment other than TLC and sometimes, if you are high risk and are diagnosed in time, anti-virals.

Old 03-29-2012, 09:45 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,674,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
There are plenty of ways to have a UHC system in America.

I favor a French-ish model. Private doctors and hospitals with universal Medicare.

Under such a model, if you want "extra" private insurance, then get it. Even in Europe there are private insurers for those that don't want to deal with the national system.

But, NOBODY in America should ever be in danger of losing their home because they get cancer... and we should never have situations where some profit motivated insurance adjuster (instead of a doctor) gets to dictate the level of care and treatments available to the patient.
Because UHC is free. They pay huge taxes on everything they buy in Europe, to fund government health care.

The problem is that Europe is not the US, we have different systems of government, different legal systems, different regulatory agencies, with different laws and regulations, and we have different approaches to taxes and a much larger and diverse population.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies