Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2012, 12:31 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,667,124 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Damn right it was. People died from serious injuries (such as a broken back, for instance), instead of living in pain for 30 or 40 years, doped up on 15 kinds of "pain medication" and spending their lives as spaced-out semi-invalids on "disability". People who contracted diseases either survived because they were strong, and had a strong immune system, or they died. Now days, we keep every pathetic invalid alive so that the American medical system can prosper financially regardless of the quality of life that the person has.

I am all for getting back to "survival of the species mentality". Newsflash, sometimes people die, it's all part of the plan.

20yrsinBranson
Dear 20yrsinBranson,

I have recently been reading the City-Data Forum and have been very impressed by your posts on this and many other issues. May I please have permission to use this as a central plank of my platform in my quest for the Republican nomination for President?

Yours in recently discovered conservatism,

Mitt Romney
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2012, 12:44 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,138,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grim Reader View Post
Yes. Yes, it is.

Seen a lot of the people with polio recently? Palsy. The funny people with bells, the lepers, where did they go? The brain damaged kids from measles? Remember trying not to invest too much love in your toddler, because most died before they were five?

Those people with facial deformities, enormous scars from war wounds...plague? Remember plague? The massivly scarred faces from smallpox survivors. Blind people with cataracts easily curable today. Tetanus. The fear of rabies.

The list goes on and on and on.
I don't disagree with you, but I think it's fair to point out that the advances you mention are due to innovation and technological know-how.....not because of health insurance for millions of people. Of course, health insurance has enabled millions of people to take advantage of these advances....but the insurance itself is not the reason.

Old 03-29-2012, 12:52 PM

1,733 posts, read 1,823,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
I don't disagree with you, but I think it's fair to point out that the advances you mention are due to innovation and technological know-how.....not because of health insurance for millions of people. Of course, health insurance has enabled millions of people to take advantage of these advances....but the insurance itself is not the reason.
I don't disagree I was just disputing the existence of a Narnia-like past where everyone either died or got well, and no-one lingered or ended up blind, disabled or disfigured.

Old 03-29-2012, 12:54 PM

23,861 posts, read 24,125,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geeoro View Post
With a Govt. funded health system a small tax is paid and that covers ALL treatments for everyone from before birth until the grave.
With a Govt. funded food system a small tax is paid and that covers ALL food for everyone from before birth until the grave.

With a Govt. funded housing system a small tax is paid and that covers ALL housing for everyone from before birth until the grave.

With a Govt. funded education system a small tax is paid and that covers ALL education for everyone from before birth until the grave.

With a Govt. funded clothing system a small tax is paid and that covers ALL clothing for everyone from before birth until the grave.

With a Govt. funded entertainment system a small tax is paid and that covers ALL entertainment for everyone from before birth until the grave.

With a Govt. funded thought system a small tax is paid and that covers ALL thinking for everyone from before birth until the grave....

Old 03-29-2012, 12:56 PM

7,931 posts, read 15,827,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
With a Govt. funded food system a small tax is paid and that covers ALL food for everyone from before birth until the grave.

With a Govt. funded housing system a small tax is paid and that covers ALL housing for everyone from before birth until the grave.

With a Govt. funded education system a small tax is paid and that covers ALL education for everyone from before birth until the grave.

With a Govt. funded clothing system a small tax is paid and that covers ALL clothing for everyone from before birth until the grave.

With a Govt. funded entertainment system a small tax is paid and that covers ALL entertainment for everyone from before birth until the grave.

With a Govt. funded thought system a small tax is paid and that covers ALL thinking for everyone from before birth until the grave....

Old 03-29-2012, 12:56 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,640,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Damn right it was. People died from serious injuries (such as a broken back, for instance), instead of living in pain for 30 or 40 years, doped up on 15 kinds of "pain medication" and spending their lives as spaced-out semi-invalids on "disability". People who contracted diseases either survived because they were strong, and had a strong immune system, or they died. Now days, we keep every pathetic invalid alive so that the American medical system can prosper financially regardless of the quality of life that the person has.

I am all for getting back to "survival of the species mentality". Newsflash, sometimes people die, it's all part of the plan.

20yrsinBranson
Wow.
So, if you had a child, and she was diagnosed with the same disorder I had you would just let her suffer and die. Survival of the species, right?

I have a genetic disorder and with medication I can live a long, healthy, productive life. People like you would rather me NOT get this medication and let me suffer and die. You don't value life at all, and I can guarantee your tune would change if it was a family member who was suffering. If it didn't change...well, I'm all for institutionalizing sociopaths.

Old 03-29-2012, 01:58 PM

9,879 posts, read 8,024,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geeoro View Post
As was heard at one of the Republican primary debates when Wolf Blitzer asked whether a young guy with a pre condition should die as he couldn't get health cover.... the resounding cries were .... YES!............... Morons!!!!!
Tha question was directed specifically to Ron Paul. While Paul has a "totally
let the private sector work" approach, I don't think it is fair to assume
those against Obamacare have no compassion.

It is true that if you go back pre HMO and Medicare,
to the times Paul references, he truly believes health care was
more affordable because of it. After all, it was the days of our
county hospitals and greater medical charity.
But today with the cost of high tech medicine and educational
costs to even practice medicine, it really can't be done that way.

I'm a supporter of Paul and a libertarian, but I'm also a proponent
of a single payer health care system. It is the only way the payment
of health care for the nation will work. We don't need a middleman -
private insurance co. for profit, involved in the delivery of health care.
We didn't need it in the times Paul references, and we don't need it now.

Have basic Medicare for All coverage at the federal level. Let folks either
opt out of that, if they choose, or purchase add'l coverage for extra perks.

While Paul and others are advocates for life/anti abortion because
they believe in an "inalienable rights" philosophy
of the nation, or one believes in the general welfare clause of our constitution, or
one just believes in plain decency,
we really should all feel the same way about health:
Without it, we can not have a life, let alone
the pursuit of a happy one.

If we were to believe it was/is, in the public welfare to
provide Medicare for the elderly, then let's provide
it for the most productive members of our society -
the working federal taxpayers, as well.
Free up private industry so they/we can
sell products/services at the best competitive price -
something out of reach when employers are made to
provide health insurance to employees:
e.g. more cost for health care insurance to auto workers
than the cost of steel in the cars.

The argument "we are all in this together" is really true, on this
issue. Medicare for all - that's my motto

Old 03-29-2012, 02:04 PM

2,162 posts, read 3,366,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Yep...so long as you don't have a family it's quite reasonable.

Get a few family members, and it get's pretty damn steep. And i mean REAL STEEP.
Well, that, too, is a CHOICE.

Old 03-29-2012, 02:08 PM

2,162 posts, read 3,366,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
YES. I stand by my statement. As I pointed to you earlier, this is how I feel:

//www.city-data.com/forum/polit...ance-then.html

This is the last I will respond to your incessant ignorance on the issue.
Yes. It's the same concept as not everyone should be a home owner. I think these folks need more Dave Ramsey in their lives, for starters.

Old 03-29-2012, 02:10 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,138,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post

Precisely! They just don't get it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies