Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2012, 09:18 AM

8,390 posts, read 11,610,711 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeoro View Post
As was heard at one of the Republican primary debates when Wolf Blitzer asked whether a young guy with a pre condition should die as he couldn't get health cover.... the resounding cries were .... YES!............... Morons!!!!!
I bet in the same breath they were cheering "pro-life" for a fertilized egg right They really are Morons. Talk about priorities!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2012, 09:19 AM

6,391 posts, read 5,171,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Except for exceptional circumstances, like being 70 and having 3 types of cancer, health insurance is available and affordable. I have shopped around for the hell of it using several different states for comparison and all of the plans were quite affordable. (ie. $80-250 month). Is it the best insurance on the planet? Not neccessarily, but with out of pocket maximums, it's much better than nothing.

Are there exceptions? Of course. But I don't buy the whole "its not affordable" argument. It's all about priorities. If insurance costs $250 per month, and you really need health insurance, then you prioritize your spending accordingly.

Millions of American's don't even know how to budget. That they also don't understand their priorities is of no concern to me.

www.ehealthinsurance.com (See for yourself)
You're wasting your time. You are advocating personal responsibility, which violates cradle to grave government care advocated by liberals.

Old 03-30-2012, 09:37 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,138,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatt View Post
You're wasting your time. You are advocating personal responsibility, which violates cradle to grave government care advocated by liberals.
You're absolutely right. I've always wondered what it is about the liberal mindset that completely ignores personal responsibility while simulataneously advocating for government intervention. The two are diametricaly opposed in Liberal Utopia.

Old 03-30-2012, 09:55 AM

10,564 posts, read 12,827,353 times
YOU need to spend more money on health care and less on military....and all will be fine....no person in your nation should have to worry about living or dying due to the amount of money they have...No old lady should lose her home if she gets sick...and have the inheritance due her children stolen...no public health care helps to destroy the middle class...How is a son or daughter going to establish themselves with a home of their own if the private insurance companies and the greedy doctors steal the money?

Old 03-30-2012, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
YOU need to spend more money on health care and less on military....and all will be fine....no person in your nation should have to worry about living or dying due to the amount of money they have...No old lady should lose her home if she gets sick...and have the inheritance due her children stolen...no public health care helps to destroy the middle class...How is a son or daughter going to establish themselves with a home of their own if the private insurance companies and the greedy doctors steal the money?
A couple fallacies that need to be pointed out:

1) The "old lady" is covered under Medicare, and she has the option to bolster her coverage even more with Medicare Advantage. She also has Medicare Part D to cover most of her prescriptions.

2) There is no such thing as "inheritance due her children..." Inheritance is a nicety, not an entitlement. An "inheritance" is nothing more than savings, which can and should be rightfully used for life events, including healthcare.

3) Greedy doctors? I believe that the large majority of doctors don't fit into this category. In fact, i'm of the opinion that most doctors do what they can to accommodate the less fortunate.

Old 03-30-2012, 10:06 AM

6,734 posts, read 9,345,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
I agree with you on that and, as they say: IN A PERFECT WORLD... But we know that doesn't happen. And we know that there are going to be people that will not ever lose weight for whatever reason. It's the same as bad drivers. In my opinion, it's a LOT easier to control bad driving than it is your weight. Yet we still offer an option to bad drivers. And they manage to afford that option. The incentive for them to improve is the lowered premiums associated with good driving habits.

Who knows, maybe put the high BMI'ers in a health plan with an extra charge (rider) for bad habits with a bill each month that says "lowering your BMI can make your monthly premium go down by 20%" or something like that.

MY POINT IS that BMI is an antiquated system of measuring health. A 6'4 man weighing 205 is considered to be overweight and @254lbs he's considered obese. You people think an overweight man has a gut hanging to his knees and man-boobs. Obviously not.

Old 03-30-2012, 10:06 AM

1,458 posts, read 1,399,340 times
Quote:
Then the question becomes....."Why are so many American's living on such thin margins?"

Aren't you one of those who remind us that we live in the most prosperous country in the world? So what gives?
It's a big country, and there are many different reasons. They vary with education, age level, demographics and even state by state.

We may well be the most prosperous nation, but many people are not prosperous. Some live above their means, some are currently living above their means due to circumstances beyond their immediate control.

One key point in this discussion you started, is to try and focus on core problems based on people that are trying like heck, and just can't get ahead. This would be a tremendous percentage of middle class working people, as well as many of those in lower income levels. I speak to those trying like heck.

Many of these people have already cut bills and "things" in dramatic fashion. Don't forget many of those with things like cell phones have no landline anymore.
I do pretty darn well. But when faced with keeping a house for kids when divorced, and providing a great healthcare plan, I did all the math, didn't work. You end up being vulnerable, but you have to go with what you have to do.

It was pretty easy for me to talk just like you do when fat and happy. I try not to do that anymore.

Old 03-30-2012, 10:08 AM

16,679 posts, read 15,688,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geeoro View Post
Not sure where you get health insurance here for $250 per month without a high co pay or restrictions. Even work related health insurance here is around $80 per week with high copays and more for out of network usage.
We must get rid of the Insurance based health system here.
With a Govt. funded health system a small tax is paid and that covers ALL treatments for everyone from before birth until the grave..... If anyone still wants a private health insurance then the premiums are far far far cheaper as the Insurance company has to compete with the UHC. Drugs also become significantly cheaper with a UHC..... so everyone is a winner but at a fraction of the current cost with no loss of quality of care..... like in the UK, where you can pay for the NHS AND a private insurance plan for less than just a limited private plan here.............. not sure why intelligent people here want a expensive system that only covers you while you can afford the premiums??????????????????????????????
The US has an excess number of people so stupid they don't want a practical system that takes care of everyone's health care needs affordably. They prefer political arguments to taking care of human beings. Maybe our country will get smarter some day.

Old 03-30-2012, 10:12 AM

6,734 posts, read 9,345,633 times
Quote:
The "old lady" is covered under Medicare, and she has the option to bolster her coverage even more with Medicare Advantage. She also has Medicare Part D to cover most of her prescriptions.
Not all seniors can afford supplemental insurance. But the ones who can (like my parents) have EXCELLENT coverage.

Old 03-30-2012, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Thinker View Post
It's a big country, and there are many different reasons. They vary with education, age level, demographics and even state by state.

We may well be the most prosperous nation, but many people are not prosperous. Some live above their means, some are currently living above their means due to circumstances beyond their immediate control.

One key point in this discussion you started, is to try and focus on core problems based on people that are trying like heck, and just can't get ahead. This would be a tremendous percentage of middle class working people, as well as many of those in lower income levels. I speak to those trying like heck.

Many of these people have already cut bills and "things" in dramatic fashion. Don't forget many of those with things like cell phones have no landline anymore.
I do pretty darn well. But when faced with keeping a house for kids when divorced, and providing a great healthcare plan, I did all the math, didn't work. You end up being vulnerable, but you have to go with what you have to do.

It was pretty easy for me to talk just like you do when fat and happy. I try not to do that anymore.
Again, why are so many people not "fat and happy?" Sure, there are lots of reasons, and yes there are those who never get ahead. But guess what? Many times.....if not most of the time.....its due to their own bad life decisions. At what point do we as American's draw the line on subsidizing a nation of bad decisions?

I'll be more than happy to expound on the plethora of data that points to horrific life decisions if you want.....although i'm sure you're quite aware of what i'm talking about. Anyone with eyes wide open knows that America has a cultural problem (ie. living beyond our means....having kids we can't afford.....not finishing high school.....crime rates.....etc.) It's time to stop subsidizing this problem and force certain measures of personal responsibility on people by rescinding the safety nets that enabled them to live these irresponsible lifestyles to begin with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies